Re: Nighthawk R8000 Connection issues

Kaliedra
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 Connection issues

I'm honestly ready to throw this thing in the trash, I don't understand what the problem is, Nothing will reconnect to wifi. Mobile phones, smart TVs, plugs, if its not hardwired and its off the network for a moment I have to completely reconfigure the device which is especially fun with the fact that it takes 10 minutes to get my phone to reconnect. My Wemo did a firmware update overnight and now i have 6 plugs that are not connected trying to find the router, they all have the log in info. This should not be this complicated. This is my first Netgear and I'm ready for it to be my last, can anyone help with what I should be looking at?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

There's not much real information to go on there.

Let's start with this bit:

@Kaliedra wrote:

Nothing will reconnect to wifi.

What happens when you try?

What do the LEDs on the thing look like?

I assume that you have checked the WiFi On/Off button LED on the device. This would not be the first time that someone has accidentally turned off their wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
Kaliedra
Aspirant

The devices that give an error like my phones and tablets, I get "Unable to authenticate the connection"   The Wemo plugs are just gone from the network.  After 3 days one reconnected on its own, the rest even when I load wemo are not there.   When I hit the button to reset the wifi they go throuh the proper steps per the belkin website for colors that should flash to indicate an attempt to reconnect but it doesn't happen.

This morning, I left the house to pickup some items ordered, I came back and I got the autheitcation error and then I have to manually tell it to reconnect.  It took 30 minutes of trying. 

Message 3 of 11

There are still some big holes in the information we have – for example, where do you see this "Unable to authenticate the connection" message? – but some of the symptoms you mention raise one big question, what is the modem in front of this router?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 11
Tex-Hogger
Star

I am betting it is the "new version" of firmware.  There was a message on here that a few of us were discussing and the problem is both the 1.0.4.56-Hotfix, and the 1.0.4.52 versions are unstable. 

My recommedation is the downgrade to 1.0.4.46.  I have been running it since it came out back in Sept. 2019. 

I then updated to 1.0.4.52 a couple of weeks ago.  It worked for about 24-30 hours, then wi-fi signals would go away, and access to the internet would go away.  I would have to power off, and power on to get it to re-boot.  Then last week I tried 1.0.4.56-Hotfix, and was having the same issues.  So a few days ago I downgraded, and everything is back to normal. 

If you need any help on how to downgrade I can walk you thru it.  Just make sure that if you do downgrade, to set the "router auto firmware update" to "no".

Tex-Hogger

Message 5 of 11

@Tex-Hogger wrote:

If you need any help on how to downgrade I can walk you thru it.  Just make sure that if you do downgrade, to set the "router auto firmware update" to "no".

Easiest option is this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

Message 6 of 11
Kaliedra
Aspirant

i hadn't actually done the firmware update yet, the issue was there before the update came up as available.  When i checked last week I didn't have an update but it was there yesterday so I ran that and the phones are reconecting a bit more reliably. It still took over half an hour to get 4 smart plugs back and one already dropped out so I'm unsure if downgrading will actually be an improvement. 

Are there settings I should be looking at that could impact how the smart plugs connect or is there perhaps a brand that will connect to netgear more reliably?  As I've tested everything else, the TVs are now auto connecting, the digital assitant, everything else seems to have been resolved except these smart plugs.

I now show I'm on V1.0.4.52 10.1.67

Message 7 of 11
Tex-Hogger
Star

@Kaliedra wrote:

i hadn't actually done the firmware update yet, the issue was there before the update came up as available.  When i checked last week I didn't have an update but it was there yesterday so I ran that and the phones are reconecting a bit more reliably. It still took over half an hour to get 4 smart plugs back and one already dropped out so I'm unsure if downgrading will actually be an improvement. 

Are there settings I should be looking at that could impact how the smart plugs connect or is there perhaps a brand that will connect to netgear more reliably?  As I've tested everything else, the TVs are now auto connecting, the digital assitant, everything else seems to have been resolved except these smart plugs.

I now show I'm on V1.0.4.52 10.1.67

That is probably the issue. 1.0.4.52 is junk.  I would down grade to 1.0.4.46.  Again, after you down grade make sure that the auto firmware update option is turned off.

Tex-Hogger

Message 8 of 11
Kaliedra
Aspirant

It might be junk, but at the moment its working better than 1.0.4.46 was for me. I literally updated late yesterday after logging in again and finding the update.  If this is going to be less stable, this router still may end up in the trash.

Message 9 of 11

@Kaliedra wrote:

As I've tested everything else, the TVs are now auto connecting, the digital assitant, everything else seems to have been resolved except these smart plugs.

If the router is delivering wifi that most things happily accept, this suggests to me that the smart plugs are the problem.

IoT stuff is famously tricky to set up, especially when it comes with poorly written mobile apps. It is all too easy to blame the router, but it is just a source of wifi. The devices have to play ball. So called "smart" devices don't always live up to their name and are really dumb.

When you installed the R8000 router, did you set it up with your own wifi SSID and password? Have you reset the thing at any stage during your travails? (A reset is one suggestion for fixing issues after a firmware flash.)

It might be worth checking that the wifi is set up as expected.

If the plugs insist that you use an app connected at 2.4GHz, as many do, you may have to mess around to get the device to connect to that band. Sometimes it heps to temporarily turn off 5 GHz, or disable the SSID broadcast. I can't tell from the manual if you can use the switch to disable just the 5GHz or if you have to get into the controls for that.

You could also see if it makes any difference to disable smart connect.

Rolling back to older firmware is always an option, but that may remove important security updates. (We've just been through one of those "end of the world as we know it" scares on that front.) That your system mostly works wouldn't send me down that road.

After all, from what I gather, you didn't update the firmware immediately you got the router, which is usually recommended approach. As shipped, these things can come with bugs. That may be why you had trouble to begin with.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 11
Tex-Hogger
Star

If you plan on trashing it, let me know. I will pay for shipping to my house. I will be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Tex-Hogger
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements