Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 Issues - Intermittent Disconnection and now can't login after reset to factory defau

Seirhon
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 Issues - Intermittent Disconnection and now can't login after reset to factory defau

Good morning,

I have been using this Netgear Nighthawk router for quite some time and have been overall very happy with how far it will transmit signal through the house and the speed we get over the wifi. However over the past month it has been randomly having issues where it gets to a point during any part of the day where it continues to cycle and no one can connect to it consistently and if they are there is no internet. I finally called it quits this morning and decided to do a factory reset on it to try and solve the problem. However it has now created an even bigger problem. I can no longer access the login page for the router.

Every time I enter in the ip address for the router it tries to take me to a website rather than the router login page and then says I am not connected to the internet. However windows thinks I am connected to the internet according to the Network and Sharing Center, though I have tried accessing other sites and I am clearly not on the internet. 

I have tried resetting again using the button on the back, watching the power light until it starts flashing and then releasing for the reset, but that hasn't worked either. I also read some things about running it through another router and connecting that way but it won't work etiher. 

If I cannot connect to it then I am going to assume it is trashed and toss it. I did try calling technical support but they wouldn't help me with it since it was out of warranty and the previous owner was an old room mate before he left the router with me. Any help would be appreciated here. 

The router was using Firmware Version V1.0.3.4_1.1.2

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Seirhon
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Issues - Intermittent Disconnection and now can't login after reset to factory d

Hey Ether,

Unfortunately I cannot accept your answer as the solution. I tried what you suggested multiple times in various forms. Finally I decided that it wasn't what I was currently doing but rather how the browser was trying to load the ip address. Previously I had been trying to access the router page via Chrome so instead I tried Firefox and it worked as expected. 

See the problem from the start is that I was never seeing any of the router login/setup pages and Chrome was always throwing the "No Internet Connection" flag when that really shouldn't have been a problem.

Thanks for your help though!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Issues - Intermittent Disconnection and now can't login after reset to factory d

Disconnect the R8000 from everything except power.  Then connect a single computer to one of the LAN ports.  Make sure your computer is set up to acquire an IP address dynamically.  This is default behavior for most computers, but double-check.  Point your browser at 192.168.1.1.  Alternatively, point it at http://routerlogin.net.  This should connect you to the router.  Proceed to set it up, then reconnect it to the network.

Message 2 of 6
Seirhon
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply "TheEther". Unfortunately those steps didn't work. The first time it connected the settings looked good but it said no internet connection and rerouted 192.168.1.1 to routerlogin.net. After a min or two the router power cycled itself and then the computer reconnected but the default gateway was now 10.0.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1. I went ahead and tried to connect to 10.0.0.1 and it redirected me to routerlogin.net and said "There is no Internet connection" once again. 

What is next to try? 

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Note, routerlogin.net is a shortcut to log into your router's management portal.  It doesn't require an Internet connection.

Anyway, it looks like you were initially successful in factory resetting the router.  If you went through the setup wizard, then it probably tried to automatically detect the Internet connection, failed and consequently switched its IP address to 10.0.0.1.  If you want to use the setup wizard, then your router needs to be connected to the Internet.  

I suggest that you do another factory reset.  This time leave the router connected to the Internet and log in again with a single computer.  Go through the setup procedure.  If your ISP requires special instructions to access the Internet (e.g. you have a DSL connection that uses PPPoE), then be sure to enter the correct settings into the router.  You may need to consult with your ISP if you don't have those details.

Message 4 of 6
Seirhon
Aspirant

Hey Ether,

Unfortunately I cannot accept your answer as the solution. I tried what you suggested multiple times in various forms. Finally I decided that it wasn't what I was currently doing but rather how the browser was trying to load the ip address. Previously I had been trying to access the router page via Chrome so instead I tried Firefox and it worked as expected. 

See the problem from the start is that I was never seeing any of the router login/setup pages and Chrome was always throwing the "No Internet Connection" flag when that really shouldn't have been a problem.

Thanks for your help though!

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

No problem.  As long as you're back in business, that's what matters.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7