Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Slow Internet Speeds

lychaeus
Tutor

Nighthawk R8000 Slow Internet Speeds

Hi everyone,

Recently upgraded my internet from 500mb/s to a gig. Previously, my internet speeds on my 5Ghz wifi hovered at around 350-400 up/down. Over direct connection to the router, about 450. Before actually upgrading, I saw a slight decrease in my speeds which hovered at around 280-300 up/down over wifi AND direct connection. 

After upgrading to a gig, the speeds over direct connection to the router and wifi speeds on the 5Ghz band stood at about the same speeds -- 280-300. Through a direct connection to the modem itself, speeds were pushing about 900.

Any idea on how to fix this problem?

Note: QoS, IPv6, AP Mode, Access Control, Filtering/Blocking services, and traffic monitoring are all off. I have also already performed a factory reset. 

Thanks

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
lychaeus
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

I solved my issue. The issue had to do with the firmware which I was able to downgrade. It completely fixed the issue.

Currently, I am using R8000-V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

However, I will answer these questions anyways.

House materials?

Mainly wood and drywall

How many sq ft is your house? Levels?

Not sure about sq feet, but two levels, but I am right next to my router.

What are you testing the speeds with?

Both wired connection directly to the router as well as wireless on the 2.4Ghz band and the two 5Ghz bands. I have also tested under a wired connection directly to the modem itself. 

What website are you using for speed testing?

I've used my ISP's test, Speedtest.net, and a several others.

Have you tried moving the router to see if its placement related?

No, it's not placement related.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

It sounds like your hardwired speeds are correct if you're hitting 900+mpbs hardwired.

Its harder to troubleshoot wireless as many things impact wireless speeds. This includes the device you're testing with, the wireless interference in your area, size of house, materials of your house, data being transmitted, and even placement of the router.  Another factor is firmware. Some devices had a little lower speed after the firmware update that included netgear armor. maybe that's the drop you saw. You can downgrade the firmware and see if it helps. Just make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to reset the device afterwards. 

So:

House materials?

What I would refer you to as well is the review from smallnetbuilder on the R8000. They do reviews with a pretty amazing setup to make sure to reduce outside interfernce and be reproducable. They go over the average 5ghz link speed and the peaks/lows based off data transmission. its worth a read.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32489-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6-review-pa...

Message 2 of 4
lychaeus
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

I solved my issue. The issue had to do with the firmware which I was able to downgrade. It completely fixed the issue.

Currently, I am using R8000-V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

However, I will answer these questions anyways.

House materials?

Mainly wood and drywall

Not sure about sq feet, but two levels, but I am right next to my router.

Both wired connection directly to the router as well as wireless on the 2.4Ghz band and the two 5Ghz bands. I have also tested under a wired connection directly to the modem itself. 

I've used my ISP's test, Speedtest.net, and a several others.

No, it's not placement related.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it resolved. You can disable automatic updates (I'd recommend it for the time being) and wait to see how the next updates comes. Yours isn't the only device having slowed speeds/issues since Armor was added.

if you mark it as resolved, it'll help the next person with this issue. 

🙂 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7