Nighthawk R8000 Slow internet speed

C0mplicated
Luminary

Nighthawk R8000 Slow internet speed

I am a big Netgear fan and have always prefered Netgear products over others. I finally gotten my 1 Gbit internet connection and am very frustrated that my R8000 Wifi router chokes the throughput down to around 100 Mbit. I have a C700 Cable Modem behind my Nighthawk and if i connect my Pc directly to the modem, i get full Gbit. If i go through the Nighthawk it is around 100 Mbit. I have already Reset it, reconfigured it, disabled WiFi and all other features that i dont need for testing purposes. I have the newest Firmware. No success....thoughts? 

Do i need another router? Or another vendor? The router is supposed to deliver top speed easy. But that seems complicated. What can be done here? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
Mandcbauer
Luminary

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Slow internet speed

I am having the same thing happening with my router. I too have the nighthawk R8000 and I lose 40% when not directly connected to the modem. Connected through the router my speed is down. There must be a setting or something else I'm missing. Can't find any answer hopefully someone knows how to remedy.
Message 2 of 9
C0mplicated
Luminary

I have disabled every feature but LAN and i still keep getting wired speed through the nighthawk of no larger than 40% of GBit. 

At this point, i will get another router and see what the results are. As this seems to be a more widespread issue, it is very dissapointing for the $$ investment to be reduced to this bandwidth. The PC to Modem direct wire connection works just smooth at full Gbit. I highly doubt that it is a setting as disabling all settings did not bring improvements to me. 

Message 3 of 9
Mandcbauer
Luminary

I only have a 100Mbs service and get that directly from the modem but through the router I only get 60Mbs. Not sure what the answer is.
Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 9
C0mplicated
Luminary

I do not have that specific. But in general, make sure you are having the latest firmware. Reset the router, "save the config prior" and see if you turn of all features if that helps. That is the general Netgear advice you get here around. If anything at all. Unfortunately, there is no feedback from netgear at this point. Sure they are looking for the support income and without that sign up, there is no incentive to do support through the forum, therefor it is only between forum users to help each other. 

If you're a tech person, you can go as far to capture the traffic through wireshare or similar and analyze the content to see if there is anything intermittent going on. Anything from MTU size to features. 

Another thing is truly the PC itself, disable any 3rd party AV / Firewall temporary to reduce the chances that being the root cause. 

If you can, connect another device "wired" not wireless and test the same to further exclude the client as a root cause or contributor. 

All of that might give / lead you to a hint what it might be. 100 Mbit in your case should be "EASY" achievable. 

If this is persistent behavior, it certainly pushes me to another vendor whom accomplishes their max throughput advertisement. 

Currently it is like buying a car with 800 HP but at any moment only 300 are available and it is on the customer to figure it out why. Highly dissapointing. Definitley not customer obsessed. 

Message 5 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi C0mplicated,

Please post the Internet port statistics of your router.

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 6 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

I am beginning to suspect that Netgear routers have horrible WAN to LAN performance (around 40% max possible on a R7800) and have published my results and a test that anyone can run to test their router's WAN to LAN maximum performance:

duckware.com/wifi#wan2lan

duckware.com/wifi#testwan2lan

If you run this test, post your results.

Message 7 of 9
C0mplicated
Luminary

Thank you for requesting and considering the data. Please find attached the statistics as a picture. 

image.png

Message 8 of 9
C0mplicated
Luminary

Speaking for my own testing, i ran my tests all disabling all features but LAN. Bare minimum. No succes. Now, if it would be the case that the performance is impacted by all the great features that are usefull to the world and advertised with the router, the logo should then state Top Speed X only with disabled features. Otherwise it is suggesting that the product reaches top speeds and provides great features along. If it is true that simple features downgrade the performance by 60% +++, i think marketing would do good in being more honest with the product features. I hope that this is not the case to that extend. I can accept impact of 10+ % with features but hey, for the top model....i expect more than 40%. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E