Nighthawk R8000 Slow performance, 2.4 GHz

DeanFiorentino
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 Slow performance, 2.4 GHz

My ISP Spectrum provides 200 MBPS in SE WI.  On both 5GHz networks i get in excess of 200 MBPS, typically around 230 MBPS.  Upon connecting to the 2.4 GHz network i average 50-60 MBPS.  All tests have been performed wirelessly while sitting next to the router using my Apple 6S+ iphone. 

i have completed a factory reset, disabled the QOS and done a speed test on the router.  When performing the speed test thru the router at www.loginrouter.net the router mirrors the 230 MBPS download speeds that are achieved on 5GHz networks thru my phone.  When performing the speedtest thru my iphone on the 2.4 GHz network i consistently get 50-60 MBPS.  Is this a router issue or an ISP issue? 

Thank you very much,

dean 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Slow performance, 2.4 GHz

> [...] Is this a router issue or an ISP issue?

No.  The whole point of using 5GHz is that it's faster than 2.4GHz.

Message 2 of 4
DeanFiorentino
Aspirant

When i talked to the Spectrum technician during his service call, he told me that 5GHz is faster than 2.4 GHz.  When i talked to the folks at the Spectrum brick & mortar building, they told me both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz are both rated for 200 MBPS.  The whole thing is confusing and feels like the proverbial rabbit hole.  Who is right?  

Message 3 of 4
myersw
Master

Reading the info on the box the router came in or the manual you would have found the tech is correct. 5Ghz is faster wireless then 2.4Ghz. The store folks were saying when doing Internet speed test you will not see over 200Mbps on either wireless, maybe a little faster depending on provisioning, which is also correct. No matter how fast the wireless connection is the bottleneck it the Internet max. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E