Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 Wired connection slower than modem direct connection

cap223
Tutor

Nighthawk R8000 Wired connection slower than modem direct connection

My R8000 is doing something strange. I just changed from TWC 300/20 mbps to AT&T Gigapower. With the new AT&T modem connected directly to the PC, I get 195 mbps down and 600 mbps up. However when I put the R8000 between the PC and modem, then I get 245/32. I've checked many different cables and even the 50 ft cables I have that are guaranteed Cat6. Results do not vary. What settings on my R8000 might be restricting the upload traffic?

I am testing this with no other devices connected to the router (wired). Also I've tried connecting the PC to the modem directly, while also having the router connected to the modem so that wireless devices are still actively connected.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Wired connection slower than modem direct connection

In AP mode, the max speed between the WAN and LAN ports is pretty much what you are getting.  To avoid this speed penalty, use a LAN port.  Leave the WAN the disconnected.  Unfortunately, you will lose the ability to log into the router.  You'll have to reconnect the WAN port to log into it.

Alternatively, you can disable AP mode and use the old school method for APs.  Disable the DHCP server and set a static IP address on the router.  This address must be in the subnet managed by the AT&T gateway but outside of its DHCP address range.  This IP address is what you'll use to log into the router.  Continue to leave the WAN port disconnected.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 25

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

First, log onto the R8000 and make sure the following features are disabled.  QoS (but leave WMM on), port forwarding, MAC address clone, block sites, keyboard blocking and traffic metering.  All of these features disable hardware-assisted forwarding and force the R8000's main CPU to handle traffic.  Unfortunately, the main CPU cannot handle a full 1 Gbps of traffic.

Second, with Gigapower, you should log into the AT&T gateway and enable either IP Passthrough (if you have a NVG599) or DMZ+ (if you have the Pace 5268ac) for your R8000.  This will bypass NAT translation for your R8000.  You will have to reboot the gateway for this change to take effect.

Message 2 of 25
cap223
Tutor

@TheEther All those items on my R8000 are disabled. Any help on enabling DMZ+ on the Pace 5268ac? I've gotten as far as Settings>Firewall>Applications, Pinholes and DMZ. I've selected the r8000 to "host applications through the firewall". I don't know what exactly to choose at Step 2. But I don't want to mess with any settings I am not familiar with.

EDIT: I see the third radio button to enable all applications (DMZplus)

Message 3 of 25
TheEther
Guru

Select DMZ+.

Message 4 of 25
cap223
Tutor

I did that, restarted both the modem and router, and the problem is still present. Speed is 160/35

DMZplus setting.JPG

Message 5 of 25
TheEther
Guru

Perform a factory reset of the R8000.  Don't configure anything except basic settings:  Wi-Fi and LAN settings.  

Message 6 of 25
cap223
Tutor

Reset, setup, reboot, problem still present. Enabled DCZ+, rebooted, problem still present. I'm going to try to reset the router 2-3 more times just in case. I read in a different thread that multiple resets fixed the issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-internet-upload-speed-fail/m-p/977084#...

Any other thoughts in the meantime are much appreciated.

Message 7 of 25
cap223
Tutor

Did two more back-to-back factory resets. Speeds are still in the same range.

Message 8 of 25
cap223
Tutor

Does anyone have something different to try?

Message 9 of 25
JamesGL
Master

Hi cap223,

Have you disabled the QoS as what TheEther suggested?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 25
cap223
Tutor

I have disabled the QoS but that has not solved the problem.
Message 11 of 25
JamesGL
Master

Hi cap223,

What is the exact subscription speed you have from AT&T?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 25
cap223
Tutor

It is AT&T Internet 1000 = up to 1000 Mbps up and down
Message 13 of 25
TheEther
Guru

Given that you are not getting anywhere near 1000 Mbps while directly connected to the modem, you should sort that out with AT&T first. Once that's fixed, reinsert the R8000 and check the performance.
Message 14 of 25
cap223
Tutor

I will be doing that also, but the Netgear equipment is still seeing a major drop in performance from what I am seeing in the modem directly. That issue doesn't get fixed if my ISP increases my speeds more.
Message 15 of 25
JDFlux
Tutor

I am running a R8000 in AP mode behind my ATT Gigapower Router and 1000Mbps connection with everything turned off as suggested above. (QOS ect.) I am also expirencing a huge speed difference if I connect directly to the ATT Router or the R8000. All tests are done over CAT5 Ethernet. When I am behind the R8000 the best I can manage is: 480Mbps Down / 475Mbps Up. Behind the ATT Router I get 945Mbps Down / 948 Up. Obviously the R8000 is a bottleneck.  

Message 16 of 25
TheEther
Guru

In AP mode, the max speed between the WAN and LAN ports is pretty much what you are getting.  To avoid this speed penalty, use a LAN port.  Leave the WAN the disconnected.  Unfortunately, you will lose the ability to log into the router.  You'll have to reconnect the WAN port to log into it.

Alternatively, you can disable AP mode and use the old school method for APs.  Disable the DHCP server and set a static IP address on the router.  This address must be in the subnet managed by the AT&T gateway but outside of its DHCP address range.  This IP address is what you'll use to log into the router.  Continue to leave the WAN port disconnected.

Message 17 of 25
JDFlux
Tutor

I will try this tomorrow and report back :

"Alternatively, you can disable AP mode and use the old school method for APs.  Disable the DHCP server and set a static IP address on the router.  This address must be in the subnet managed by the AT&T gateway but outside of its DHCP address range.  This IP address is what you'll use to log into the router.  Continue to leave the WAN port disconnected."

Thank You for repsponding so quickly. I was beginning to give up and list it for sale.

Message 18 of 25
JDFlux
Tutor

This WORKED! Thanks for the help. 

Message 19 of 25
LeeH
Prodigy

Please accept @TheEthers solution as solving your issue so that other people can find and use your solution.

Message 20 of 25
JDFlux
Tutor

How do I mark as a solution?

@LeeH wrote:

Please accept @TheEthers solution as solving your issue so that other people can find and use your solution.

Message 21 of 25
LeeH
Prodigy

Scroll to @TheEthers post that gave you the solution and you should see a button there.  I think it says something like accept the solution.  Also click on the thumbs up to give him credit.  These are the ways in which you can reward and encourage some one who helps you.  It's good etiquette.

Message 22 of 25
LeeH
Prodigy

Sorry I just looked and you are not the one who started the thread so you can not accepts his solution.  Just click the thumbs up on his post.

Message 23 of 25
JDFlux
Tutor

I gave him a thumbs up.

Message 24 of 25
TheEther
Guru

Many thanks!

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors