Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Wireless Speeds

DM787
Follower

Nighthawk R8000 Wireless Speeds

My connection using an ethernet cable from the modem to my PS5 has 450 mbps of download speeds and 49 mbps of upload. But when I test my wireless speeds I only get 130mbps download and 30 mbops upload. Is their something I can do to get more wireless speeds? I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-band model R8000 because it supposedly provided the fastes wifi speeds and range. So I'm thinking I have to adjust something?
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000 Wireless Speeds

A couple things. 

Wireless speeds decrease with distance and obstructions. Plus it has much higher overhead than wired.

The R8000 might have hit around 500mbps max over 5ghz but that's over a 3x3 antenna setup, with a device right next to it, and without any interference. Basically the strongest connection with a 3x3 antenna and zero interference. Most consumer devices are only 1x1 or 2x2 antenna's. There's also interference from other signals and signal attenuation with distance. 5ghz drops off speeds much quicker than 2.4ghz.  Most devices are only going to see 150-300mbps out of the R8000 over wireless 5ghz. there's all kinds of education on wireless misunderstandings but the best written I've read is the duckwares. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

I'd recommend reading a tested review of the r8000 to see what it performs like under optimal conditions. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32489-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6-review-pa...

It is a good router but theres realistic expectations out of wireless. 

Also, what are you needing that needs more than 130mbps download? 

Most streaming/gaming maxes out at around that 40mbps. Its only really for downloading large games that its a benefit. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7