Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8000 blocking download speed

K24
Guide
Guide

Nighthawk R8000 blocking download speed

I recently upgraded my internet to 400mb download, when i ran speed test i couldnt get anymore than 118mb. So had tech help from Spectrum, had me connect ethernet cable directly to pc and speeds were hitting 416mb. WHen i conneted back to my nighthawk router it went back to 112mb. so i cant connet modem directly to router without speed slowing down.I was told i need to adjusr router?? Can someone help !!Thank you

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

@K24 wrote:

so i cant connet modem directly to router without speed slowing down.I was told i need to adjusr router??

What is this modem? Make and model?

Message 2 of 10
K24
Guide
Guide

SPECTRUM sent me a Hitron EN2251 modem.And if I connect my cat7 ethernet directly to my HP pc tower, I get well over 400 MB. I went in to router login.net and checked my settings on my router and it told me it was set up for 600 MB on the Netgear AC 3200 R8000. I am not for sure if I need to change something else in the router settings. But if I connect the ethernet from modem to router and then router is connected directly to PC I can only get 100 mb.Thank you again
Message 3 of 10

Looks like a modem only device, so it should not get in the way of the router.

This might be useful:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – EN2251

Message 4 of 10
K24
Guide
Guide

I’m sorry, so when you say modem only device, what do you mean..Thank you for all your help and information
Message 5 of 10

Internet service providers sometimes supply modem/routers to their customers. These try to do the whole thing, wifi, local network and so on. Then when someone adds their own router they end up with difficulties as the two routers get in the way of each other.

Even if they supply a simple modem it can require careful configuration to get it to work with a router. Your ISP should be able to tell you how to go about this.

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

When you changed your service speeds, did you ever try a factory reset and clean install (not from backup) ont he R8000?

I'd also make sure during the install to leave qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring, and access control disabled. 

Message 7 of 10
K24
Guide
Guide

OK I will try the reset and keep you guys posted… I’m also going to check with tech also with SPECTRUM about modem. I truly appreciate all the advice coming my way…
Message 8 of 10

@plemans wrote:

When you changed your service speeds, did you ever try a factory reset and clean install (not from backup) ont he R8000?

This is important. It might help to explain why.

When you start up your network, you have to do things in the correct order:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

During the startup process, each link in the chain picks up its cues from the upstream component.

So when your router turns on it looks at the modem and checks the modem's configuration and responds accordingly with its own settings.

Likewise devices further down the chain.

If your router already has settings from a previous dalliance with a different modem, then it may well have its configuration tailored for that.

So, as  @plemans says, you need to get the router to forget its misplaced past.

Message 9 of 10
K24
Guide
Guide

You rock so awesome I followed your advice step-by-step and it worked… The world continues to need people like you willing to help everybody that isn’t knowledgeable enough… Thank you again and have a great holiday season..
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7