Re: Nighthawk R8000 drops internet regularly every few days

pmjc
Apprentice

Nighthawk R8000 drops internet regularly every few days

My R8000 router works great-when it works but every few days it drops the internet connection: both ethernet and wifi fail. Even connecting a computer directly to the router does not either restore the internet nor allow me to log into the router. To restore the connection I have to reboot the router. This device is in a second home so I have now had to connect it to a power module that is connected to my phone line so I can turn on and off the power and hence reboot the router by calling my home phone. Thats the only way to reset it from a distance. The internet connection (and telephone line) are fiber optic. One line comes into the OST box outside which then links one internal RJ45 to the phone lines running through the house; and another that connects directly to the wall RJ45 connector that I plug the router into via the ethernet cable. There is no modem.  I know the line coming into the house is working when the router is down becuase the phone works (otherwise I couldnt reach the power module). At first I thought this might have something to do with renewing the IP address every few days from my ISP but if I connect directly to the router (when its still up)  and manually renew the lease through the interface it comes right back on-no probelms. Its not the cords-I've changed them all.Ive done a factory reset and rebuilt the connections and I still am having this problem. Im running the latest firmware.

Help! Is there any diagnostic software I can use to monitor what happens? I lose the logs becuase they are reset when I reboot so I never know what the last event is. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 94
Heretic
Initiate

I have the exact same issue with my R8000 running version 1.0.3.32. Everything dies, WiFi, Ethernet, you name it. Only solution is a power-cycle of the router. This weekend, I intend to switch my firmware to dd-wrt.

Message 2 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

please post the steps you go through to do that and the results. I would do the same but not "brave" enough to try it first. It would be good to know that you can recover if something goes wrong. Do you have a fiber connection with no modem as well?

Message 3 of 94
Droid2267
Guide

I am having smiliar problems. Just recently bought the Nighthawk x6 r8000 running V1.0.3.32_1.1.21.

About once a day I lose the Internet on WiFi. It slows down to a crawl. If I reset I am pulling 90 Mbps on my phone. If it gets in that funk stage my phone will cycle through my 3 SSID's trying to connect and if I am lucky it will lock and maybe do 1 Mbps to the speedtest. I should mention that I am using the Ethernet off of a Moca device from Comcast. I thought maybe it was the Moca but my TV which is connected via Ethernet from the Moca works just fine.

Message 4 of 94
dan_j_
Tutor

I have similar problem. Every twenty, thirty days R8000 needs to be rebooted. Router becomes extremely slow, finally all devices are losing connection with router. The only solution what works is restarting a router. After twenty days problem comes back.

Message 5 of 94
Heretic
Initiate

Droid, this is a different issue from what is described in this thread. I've heard about your issue when there are many wireless clients active on wifi at once. Other posts have pointed to the Traffic Meter being enabled.

dan, does it affect wired and wireless clients equally?

pmjc, I would recommend reading topics related to the R8000 on this forum: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=c30a376f68c511679f79ff8c1dd56740

The firmware itself (I prefer the Kong build) is at http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/ (download the dd-wrt.K3_R8000.chk file). The process is to do a 30/30/30 reset (push in reset button for 30 seconds while powered on, then keep pushing in the reset button while powered off for 30 seconds, then power back on while still pushing in the reset button) (some say factory reset is fine, but why chance it?), then flash the .chk firmware, then after the firmware is installed, do another 30/30/30 reset. Then it's just a matter of setting everything up. See also http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486 (but know that some of the information is outdated).

I'll let you know how it goes after this weekend.

Message 6 of 94
dan_j_
Tutor

What I noticed, it affect also modem to router conection. Modem is aris 6121, after 20 - 30 days speed is decreasing from 90mbps to 10mbps. My ISP is Comcast.  QoS is off. When I restart router everything is coming back to normal speed. I did not check wired connection. Yes it affect all wireless clients equally. Speeds decresing form 25MB/s to 2MB/s, I have hdd connected to router by usb2.0. I have in my network approximately eleven to fifteenth devices: mobile phones, computers and smart TV's. Firmware has been updated to V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 version.  Maybe will help. I will let you know in couple days.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

To the Netgear monitors: 1) is there a beta firmware upgrade for these; 2) does this router have a specific issue with a fiber internet connection that does not use a modem; 3) I started a support ticket in June 2016 but was never able to complete it and now I am out of email warranty-can anything be done about that or I am just SOL; 4) I did some troubleshooting and plugged the ehternet cable that would normally go into the router, directly into a laptop and it assigned my laptop an IP adress and internet worked fine. I then plugged it back into the router (that had not yet been reset) and no internet connectivity. To me it seems like a fire wall issue. Whenever the router goes down, the LED's continues to indicate the router is conncted to the internet but all wired and wireless devices lose their connectivity and I can not get to the router home page. Its as if the router is still connected to the internet but will not allow any incoming or outgoing traffic. Please help. The router is still under warranty and I will replace it if it cant be fixed

Message 8 of 94
JamesGL
Master

Hi pmjc,

1. Try to perform a factory reset on the device.

2. If still the same after the reset, try to do MAC Clone using your laptop the works when directly connected to the wall patch. (http://kb.netgear.com/1086/No-Internet-with-new-router-MAC-spoofing)

Message 9 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

Your recent post to my issue suggested factory reset which Ive done and MAC cloning, which I have not, but its hard to see how that would fix the problem since the problem isnt with my ISP. Its as if the router shuts down after 48-52 hours and blocks all traffic in or out but the internet connection is not lost-the light is still while and when I plug in the laptop I get an IP and internet. How can I get the logs to save afer every entry? Do you have issues with fiber connections and this router? Do you have some remote diagnostics you can run?

Message 10 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

Heretic

how did the firmware update go?

Message 11 of 94
JamesGL
Master

Hi pmjc,

Try the MAC cloning. Since the computer works fine when connected directly to the modem then we will to use the MAC address of the computer on the router.

Message 12 of 94
JamesGL
Master

Hi pmjc,

Any update on your issue if you still need assistance?

Message 13 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

This issue is not solved. The MAC cloning didnt work. Any help would be most welcome. Pl;ease remove the "solution" lable from the mac cloning response

Message 14 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

Any luck with the firmware update?

Message 15 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

So here is another odd twist to this problem. Today I was logged in remotely to a computer on the network managed by the R8000. I happened to be loged onto the router from the network computer when it failed. I could no longer open the router webpage but I am still connected remotely to the networked computer! ON the network computer I can not get to any external or internal site using a browser but the adappter settings say I still have an internet conncetion AND I can still manipulate the remote computer. Its as if the the port that was opened to log into the computer remotely stays open but any network traffic from a browser is shut down, so clearly there is communication from the network computer through the router and back but no communication internally and I can not log into the router using the remote management feature. So with the exception of remote computer connnection the router does not recognize any network traffic

Message 16 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

Hello Is there a netgear tech out there that can offer any assistance

Message 17 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

Is there a netgear tech out there who can offer any insight into this issue?

Message 18 of 94
JamesGL
Master

Hi pmjc,

Is this the firmware version of your router?

https://kb.netgear.com/000037342/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-36

Message 19 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

yes V1.0.3.36_1.1.25

I am totally perplexed. I even had my fiber provider change the OST box outside and no-go.

Message 20 of 94
doglmci0311
Aspirant

Please post the instructions on how to upgrade the firm ware to the dd-wrt if it works as well and does it do logging and email the log. Apparently the person who wrote the email part of the tested against a totally unsecure server and didn't test it with gmail.com

Message 21 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

DD-WRT site has all information on upgrading to there FW. Users should to go to there site and review this information.

@doglmci0311 wrote:

Please post the instructions on how to upgrade the firm ware to the dd-wrt if it works as well and does it do logging and email the log. Apparently the person who wrote the email part of the tested against a totally unsecure server and didn't test it with gmail.com

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 22 of 94
ourgangmn
Aspirant

I have firmware V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 installed, and my internet connection drops multiple times a day. I am so frustrated by this. I feel like a real sucker for buying this router. I know my ISP is not dropping because I have an Ooma box connected to my ISP router (Frontier.com), and the blue light on my Ooma box stays lit up, signifying it has internet, but my Netgear Nighthawk, over-priced router doesn't. The cheap Actiontec F2250 from Frontier works like a champ. But I turned it's wifi off because I was sick and tired of my devices switching to it every time my Netgear Nighthawk internet connection went MIA. I even called Frontier tech support and was told that in the 6 months I have had this service it only went offline 2x, and both for very brief moments...not serveral times a day as I thought was happening.

I already tried setting the Fragmentation and Threshold values to 2304, as suggested.....did absolutely no good.

Message 23 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the ISP modem fully bridged when you have the R8000 connected and running as your main host router? 

Is your ISP DSL or Cable? 

How is the R8000 connected to the ISP modem. I should be directly connected to the ISP modem and not after any other device like the Ooma. 

@ourgangmn wrote:

I have firmware V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 installed, and my internet connection drops multiple times a day. I am so frustrated by this. I feel like a real sucker for buying this router. I know my ISP is not dropping because I have an Ooma box connected to my ISP router (Frontier.com), and the blue light on my Ooma box stays lit up, signifying it has internet, but my Netgear Nighthawk, over-priced router doesn't. The cheap Actiontec F2250 from Frontier works like a champ. But I turned it's wifi off because I was sick and tired of my devices switching to it every time my Netgear Nighthawk internet connection went MIA. I even called Frontier tech support and was told that in the 6 months I have had this service it only went offline 2x, and both for very brief moments...not serveral times a day as I thought was happening.

I already tried setting the Fragmentation and Threshold values to 2304, as suggested.....did absolutely no good.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 24 of 94
ourgangmn
Aspirant

Fully bridged? Not sure how to do that, so probably not.

The Ooma box is connected to the Frontier Actiontec router/modem on ethernet port 1, keeping it out of my home network.

The Nighthawk is connected to the Frontier Actiontec router/modem on ethernet port 3.

This is a DSL connection.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 25 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements