Nighthawk R8000 drops internet regularly every few days

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000 drops internet regularly every few days

You'll need to check with your ISP to see if the Actiontec modem can be fully bridged. Its preferred to have a briged modem if your going to use a external router like the NG. There maybe connection issues between the Actiontec and the NG router when the ISP modem has a built in router already. If you have a VoIP device, you would connect the Ooma to the NG router and use the NG routers DMZ for the Ooma. 

If you can't get the Actiontec fully bridged at all, use the modems DMZ for the NG router. 

If you choose to use the Actiontec as your main host router, I would configure the NG router as a wired LAN to LAN AP mode. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 26 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

So here we are. A problem that repeats regularly, that is not related to the ISP but directly to the router. Netgear?? No help. No diagnostics; repeat the same tired stale solutions: factory reset and rebuild. There is something going on with the router firewall that shuts down incoming and outgoing traffic every 48-52 hours. The only exception is if you are already remotely connected to a computer on the network managed by the R8000, when it goes down; communication through that port will remain open but even through that computer you will not have access to the router or any other network resources). All this and the router internet light remains white so it sees the internet and in fact unplugging the ehternet going into the router and going directly into a laptop works. Spoofing the MAC address does not solve the problem. So only solution? Buy a new Linksys and say good-bye to Netgear; and its customer unfriendly support, that requires payment to support their products, even when the product hasnt worked since the get go. What's one customer anyway?

Message 27 of 94
Arks1097
Aspirant

Hey man turn off the 5G ssid’s through the router settings page it has worked for me so far
Message 28 of 94
doglmci0311
Aspirant

The issue I have found that stops the crashing was to disable ipv6, it's not supported very well and not even in use in most areas. The other , issue I found is the users are installing software to make themselves invisble to the router and using software that creates a cluster f*ck, I can understand needing to hide the sites they go to as they want there privacy for chatting and such, but that puts a hard toll on the router. Once the users understand you can't stick and elephant in a dish washer and stick with realistic programs it works pretty good.Trying to stream  high quality video will huge frame rates gives the outside user a great image at first but it's going to "GO DOWN" streaming UP when there is only a 5mg UP connection makes a difference and will bring the router down as well.

Message 29 of 94
PigletRider
Apprentice

Many months ago I had this same issue, or close to it.  The router (especially the 5GHz bands) would slow to a crawl.  A reboot got the speeds back up to an acceptable level.  Within 30 days, the same problem would emerge again.

One (or more) of these items fixed the problem.

1. Made sure I was up on the latest version of the firmware.
  2. Disabled IPv6
  3. Left WMM enabled
  4. Unchecked "Smart Connect."  This separated my 2 5GHz bands so that separate SSIDs were broadcasting for each instead of combined.

Over these months I just stopped rebooting the router as a preventative measure.  Then I just started checking speeds (on the 5GHz) bands with the SpeedTest app.  As long as I was getting around 180Mbps down, the router was performing just fine.  I would check both wired and wireless.

Now, as a result, I never reboot my router.  I simply stopped doing it.   It's also on an fairly expensive UPS so, even through power glitches and short power outages, the router doesn't reboot.  The ONLY time it reboots now is if I notice there's a firmware update.  I apply it.  The router boots.  It comes up and runs just fine afterwards.  I've been going like this for quite a few months now with now issues.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 30 of 94
Droid2267
Guide

So here is something interesting that may or may not have been a problem but one heck of a coincidence. I had an RMA on the R8000 I had because it would lock up and not let you do anything until it was rebooted. We know that much. I did utilize the USB 3.0 port on the back so I could use the ReadyCloud for a SSD laptop drive and my MP3's and movies to make them accessible through the house. Well as my router continued to lock up I had pulled the USB drive as I was moving it to another location. The R8000 stay lit and worked. Right around that time the RMA arrived and I had cloned my settings and lit up the new one and it was working great. For a few weeks. Well about 2 days ago I decided to put my laptop drive back onto the cloud using the USB 3.0 port. Guess who had to reboot the router? It looks like either an SSD laptop drive is not welcome or something funky his happening on the SSD drive. What I would like to do is maybe load up a thumb drive and attach it to the back 3.0 port and see the result.

Message 31 of 94
eei_it
Aspirant

What were the users installing and how did you detect it?

Message 32 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

I am the only user and this problem continues to occur

Message 33 of 94
sneyeper
Aspirant

No, you are not.  I returned one R8000 for this exact reason and am on my second one now that is having the same issue as the first.  I actually believe that there is a transmitter flaw that is present in many of these models that Netgear is aware of, but will not advertise for obvious reasons.  

Message 34 of 94
Droid2267
Guide

3 months now and I have not plugged into the USB ports and for 3 months the router has been rock solid. If I plugged in a USB thimb drive to day it would crash in less than 48 hours.

Message 35 of 94
zamir1992
Aspirant

Hey guys been reading and following different suggestions this actualy helped with the dropping conivitiy issue both wired and wireless try setting you MTU in the Advance WAN settings to the proper value 1500 is default and wasnt working for me seems to over load the router and drop the connection when hit internet usage, also set it to 1400 as a support tech told me and didnt work so i searched more about the MTU setting and this is what i found http://www.tp-link.com/us/FAQ-190.html I ended up leaving it at 1370 and work like a charm thanks to God, I was about to return the router but didnt want to. please let me know if this worked out for u guys.

Lastest Firmware: V1.0.1.26_10.0.23

NightHawk R7900

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 36 of 94
phod2
Aspirant

@pmjc just wondering if this was ever resolved for you. I have the exact same issue with my Nighthawk X45 D7800.

Message 37 of 94
scsouders
Guide

I just bought the P version of this router in October, every day it resets multiple times. It comes back on its own after a minute or so. Ive updated firmware, logs show internet disconnect and numerous dos sttacks. Im currently using my old r7000 to see if its stable before i rma the pos.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 38 of 94
jmastro773
Initiate

Following. Having the same issue. Dropped connection to the router every other day. Resetting the modem with the router unplugged, waiting for modem to come back fully online, then plugging in the power to the router. Works for a bit, but seems like if devices aren't present when the reset happens, then the device can't connect to the router when it comes back.

We have Comcast and are using their gateway provisioned for phone only. No internet is going (should be going) to that modem.
Message 39 of 94
Butch525
Aspirant

Whatching!!! I have had this router since it came out and it was great up to a few months ago. I have issues with both wired and wireless and only a full power down will fix it and this only holds for a few minutes sometimes. After a day or so it will work again for weeks or days, not real pattern that I can see. I also can't use the usb 3 for a network drive at all. I can use the usb 2 but the connection is slow and intermittent.  

R8000/ac3200 

firmware V1.0.4.4

FIOS internet

Message 40 of 94
scsouders
Guide

After a few weeks back and forth with tech support they said my firmware was old, though when i went through the routers update ,said i was fine. So i went to the netgear site and found my router and sure enough there was a newer one there. Since the upgrade ive been holding up pretty good. This week I noticed yet another firmware upgrade and am now current, router seems to be stable at the moment.
Message 41 of 94
ritamac
Aspirant

I bot this recently, and have had same connectivity issues..works for a very short time-maybe an hour, then I lose access to the router, and eventually no one can get on the internet.  Have tried the firmware update, separating the two 5ghz bands, verified all the settings(I'm on a fixed IP), and nothing worked. Considered flashing the router with DD-WRT, but I don't feel confident enough to do that without 'bricking' the router.   Today I saw your experience with the usb, I disconnected the usb backup drive.  The connection now seems to be holding.  This is a problem Netgear really needs to solve....and put the solution out there so it's easier to find! I'm not happy that I can't use the USB drive through the router..that was a feature I need.  But I'm happy for now that I've finally found a solution that's working.

Message 42 of 94
muh
Guide
Guide

I have the same problems as other people post here. I have to reboot (power off and power it on) this router every two or three days. I have the firmware V1.3.8_1.2.1. The problem never been able to solve. Please help.

Message 43 of 94
JamesGL
Master

Message 44 of 94
ritamac
Aspirant

Thank you.

I have this loaded already:  Firmware Version
V1.0.4.4_1.1.42

Message 45 of 94
agdodge4x4
Luminary

Literally exact same problem with my router.  Drops internet.  Admin page shows internet connected.  I can connect to router via wifi, but have no internet.  Log shows no issues or errors.  Only fix is to reboot it.

Dude...this is not cool.

Message 46 of 94
SKT_33
Aspirant

Good Afternoon everyone. 

I am in need of assistance. I purchased the Nighthawk 8000P router back in October after upgrading my 6300 router. I had no issues for the first few months. Recently, I believe after I updated the firmware the router will work for about 12-24 hours and then drops the connection. Devices show connected but no data will load. I have tested on Windows and iOS devices. Wired and Wireless both go out. Once I reset the router and cable modem everything connects and works again.It keeps happening and is very frustrating to be in the middle of working and it disconnecting. My currrent firmware is: Firmware Version V1.3.0.8_1.2.1 

I cant remember what version was before but it seemed to me to be much more stable than this. Anyone have any idea how I can fix this issue? Maybe go back to the older firmware. I am not super techy so please excuse my ignorance with regards to this stuff. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 47 of 94
ritamac
Aspirant

I had many headaches with my router, and felt like I had made a bad decision in its purchase.  The very last entry on the community string I viewed suggested that I disconnect any USB drives connected to the router.  as soon as I did that it booted up successfully and I've had no problems since.  I am on firmware:  V1.0.4.4_1.1.42 as of today. 

I'm still disappointed that I cannot use an external hard drive with it, but at least the router is allowing internet traffice without problems.

Message 48 of 94
SKT_33
Aspirant

Does it matter that mine is an AC4000? Would I be able to use that firmware you suggested? Or is there a list of firmwares somewhere on the site that I can see?

TIA

Message 49 of 94
SKT_33
Aspirant

Same exact issue. Have you found any solutions? I feel since the recent firmware update this has started happening. So frustrating!!!

Message 50 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements