Nighthawk R8000 drops internet regularly every few days

Butch525
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R8000 drops internet regularly every few days

Sadly I wasn't able to get anything to work and now I can't even sign into the router. I was able however to fix my issue, I purchassed a Nighthawk X10!!! To be clear I'm not happy I had to replace the X6 after only 3 years or so. I hope a fix comes around because it was a good router. But if you can the X10 is AMAZING. And the usb's work perfectly. 

Message 51 of 94
ritamac
Aspirant

regarding firmware, I can't say whether the firmware for the 8000 would work on your machine, so I would stick with the appropriate firmware for your machine.  I'm definitely not an expert in these matters, perhaps someone with more knowledge can answer?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 52 of 94
ritamac
Aspirant

regarding firmware, I can't say whether the firmware for the 8000 would work on your machine, so I would stick with the appropriate firmware for your machine.  I'm definitely not an expert in these matters, perhaps someone with more knowledge can answer(?)

Message 53 of 94
pmjc
Apprentice

This question is to any one with a recent post on this thread. Does any one have a fiber-optic internet connection with a optical transport box. This box usually has two ethernet connections inside: one that converts the fiber optic signal and connects to a phone line and one that that connects it to ehhernet port on your wall ethernet that then plugs into your router.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 54 of 94
ritamac
Aspirant

I have fiber Optics and there is a black box here, but I could not tell you how it is connected. I tried several suggestions to get my router to stay up, but the only thing that worked was to disconnect the usb drive.

Message 55 of 94
32edge
Star

I have had this same problem and i sure wish that someone from Netgear would give us some answers. We pay a lot of $ for these devices and to have them just randomly reboot constantly is unacceptable. I have tried DD-WRT and Advanced tomato and had very poor wifi with both of those firmwares. I think this router is simple a pile of crap and i wish i never bought it... Along with other items i think every router should have as basic features this one lacks, like the ability to easily set your host names to whatever you want and a GD bandwidth monitor per device and not just a useless overall meter...

Message 56 of 94
bgramreefer
Initiate

I have the same issue, Netgear.

Since update to

v1.3.0.8_1.3.1

The router has been dropoing intertnet connection from Arris hot **bleep** cable modem. Now I have to restart router almost daily. I thought I had future proofed my wifi but am not impressed with netgear support in this regard as I see the same issue being dicussed on these forums across the nighthawk brand.

Netgear please show proof of life and that you give a **bleep** about your customers even if they are 1 week past warranty.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 57 of 94
agdodge4x4
Luminary

Meh....I have a backup waiting in a box.  But, I'm mostly waiting to send these bad boys back and wait for a good price on the Linksys branded ones with comparable features.  The router is OK, but not for what it costs.

Message 58 of 94
danny-s
Aspirant

This is happening to me every day - it's become even more frequent since I upgraded to firmware V1.0.4.4_1.1.42.  Why can't netgear sort this out?!

Message 59 of 94
caelin30
Tutor

Same thing happening to me but I have the R6700v2 Nighthawk!!!

Message 60 of 94
32edge
Star

Right and why cant they at least address the issue????

Message 61 of 94
caelin30
Tutor

I have no idea. Support is terrible. I definitely regret buying this router. I was deluded by the good reviews.

They need to fix this. I'm definitely going to try flashing DD-WRT but I don't know if it'll work. I'm going to roll back the firmware update too.

Message 62 of 94
32edge
Star

I flashed DD-WRT and Advanced Tomato and the router was even worse, the Wifi Signal was so bad i had to revert back and deal with the constant reboots.

Message 63 of 94
caelin30
Tutor

Did you try to roll back to the previous firmware before this whole thing happened? That's what I was thining I'd do

Message 64 of 94
32edge
Star

So i had to factory reset my router, it seems better but im not holding my breath that its fixed or will not keep randomly keep rebooting itself. When i got this router i Absolutely Loved it, the more firmware updates the worse it gets. It used to have an amazing feature where you could edit your device names to a more user friendly name and they chose to get rid of it with an update months ago, sure wish they would bring this back or provide a reason why they go rid of it. I will never buy another netgear product again as the support and lack of caring from netgear's side is ridiculous.

Message 65 of 94
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Version 1.0.4.x.xx.xx are bad
Stable version at this time is still v1.0.3.54
Newest version put up today 2/2/18 v1.0.4.12 is stable PROVIDED you disable DLNA.
This is it. And I am quite not happy with this update FW, neither.
Terry
Message 66 of 94
32edge
Star

I think the last 5 firmware updates the only notes were Fixes security issues. What a JOKE....

Message 67 of 94
32edge
Star

I just rolled back to 1.0.3.36 back when the firmware worked as expected and i could edit my device names..

Message 68 of 94
Gbobst
Aspirant

I am soooo frustrated with this, I am trying to rollback firmare tonight. (1.0.3.36)   Let you know how it works.....

Message 69 of 94
Droid2267
Guide

Again I really have to ask this….. is anyone using the USB ports on the back. I had the same issues. As soon as I disconnected my MP3 hardrive (ssd) from the back port the router never locked up again. For fun I plugged in a USB thumb drive and within 30 hours it locked up again. Rebooted and left thumb drive in and 20 hours later locked. Pulled USB and it has been up for 2+ months

Message 70 of 94
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Droid2267
Yes, this is the problem. In general, you can still be able to use the USB ports for storage device and sharing on intranet and internet. But, you really need to DISABLE DLNA. I assume you know how to do it through router interface. Don't forget this point, since we know DLNA progressive scanning of attached storage device takes up lots of memory and it will crash the router after a while.
BR
Message 71 of 94
Droid2267
Guide

You are correct and I should have mentioned I did that as well. Still didn't change it any. You would have thought it would. I ended up haning one of those small Dell form factor pc's they sell around Christmas for $99 and turned it into a server so to speak. Streams great.

Message 72 of 94
PigletRider
Apprentice

@Droid2267wrote:

Again I really have to ask this….. is anyone using the USB ports on the back. I had the same issues. As soon as I disconnected my MP3 hardrive (ssd) from the back port the router never locked up again. For fun I plugged in a USB thumb drive and within 30 hours it locked up again. Rebooted and left thumb drive in and 20 hours later locked. Pulled USB and it has been up for 2+ months

I purchased the R8000 back in June, 2015.  I've had a Western Digital My Book (6 TB) Drive connected directly to it continuously with no issues.  I also have DLNA enabled.  So, all I can tell you is that it's not an issue for me.  My router is now on firmware version V1.0.4.12_10.1.46.

Message 73 of 94
Gbobst
Aspirant

did the firmware "down"date...lol, to version 1.0.3.36.  No DNLA on, and have followed all of the suggestions on this thread.   Still the same issue.  Dropping signal and degrading wifi.  I do have several google homes in 4 rooms around the house.  Not sure if they are affecting the crash of the router Throwing huge packets upon the google home "wake up" from sleep issue.  It apparently is an issue. 

I am going to discionnect them and see what becomes of it.  Touch base later.

Message 74 of 94
SKT_33
Aspirant

Hey Gbobst, 

did you just reset the router back to factory settings? Is there a link for the old software to go back to the orginal firmware? I'm so tired of having to reset this router every 2 days. For $300 Netgear should be fixing this issue ASAP. 

Message 75 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements