vorpalslash
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 firmware help

I've been having trouble with my router internet speed for the better part of 2 weeks now.  After talking to my ISP they assured me its something on my end. I do some reseach online and sure enough there are reports of firmware problems with the Nighthawk X6 R8000(I recently did a firmware update).  So I try to update my firmware again through routerlogin.net using the check online for updates function. 

It's stuck on firmware version V1.0.4.4_1.1.42 and everytime I try to update to 1.0.4.12_10.1.46 the service just hangs there saying its updating without actually doing anything. Recommendations from other forum posts say I should try manual updates and/or reverting to a older version. So I go to https://www.netgear.com/support/download/ and pull up the files for "R8000 —  Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri Band WiFi Gigabit Router / R8000" and download the newest file (R8000-V1.0.4.12_10.1.46)  and the recommended file (R8000-V1.0.3.54_1.1.37) from the previous post to revert to if problems still persist.

Both files .chks' failed to extract with "Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error" responses from Windows(I looked it up nothing relevant or helpful) and with a "CRC failed" response from 7zip. I managed to get a extract of the .chk files by going through a chrome browser zip app, but when I tried to upload them to the router I got "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." 

Can anyone offer some advice on how to fix this issue or verify if the firmware files are uncorrupted? If it is an issue with the firmware files themselves can someone provide me with a working version?

Thank you,

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
vorpalslash
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R8000 firmware help

Just to be clear as possible, I did do a factory reset after the firmware updates and a soft and hard reset as well. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 4
antinode
Guru

If you really have an R8000, and you're really trying to load a
firmware file for an R8000, and the router's normal update procedure
will not accept it, then you might try using the TFTP recovery scheme to
load it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

> Both files .chks' failed to extract with "Error 0x80004005:
> Unspecified error" responses from Windows [...]

When you did _what_, exactly?  It really shouldn't be that hard to
download a firmware kit, and extract the files from the zip archive, so
I'm worried about the validity of your ".chk" files.  A zip archve does
use CRC-32 checksums, so, normally, if an unzip program works, then you
should be able to trust the extracted files.

If you can fetch the .zip archive, then File Explorer > (right-click)
Extract all... should extract the files properly.  If you do it twice,
and the extracted files are identical, then they should be trustworthy.

Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@vorpalslash wrote:

Both files .chks' failed to extract with "Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error" responses from Windows(I looked it up nothing relevant or helpful) and with a "CRC failed" response from 7zip.

Google "error 0x80004005 zip" and you'll find many references. Seems you have a bad d/l... go to the SUPPORT link at NETGEAR.COM for the R8000 and get the D/L immediately again and unzip it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements