Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 is giving me slower speeds than the modem/router my ISP had provided

ayeitsgera
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 is giving me slower speeds than the modem/router my ISP had provided

I just finished setting up my Nighthawk X6 router and was surprised when I saw my speed test results. When I was using the modem/router my ISP provided I was averaging 70Mb/s Download and 7.5 Mb/s Upload (and thats with other devices connected to the wifi). I ran two tests just now about 20min apart and averaged 40Mb/s Download and 7.5 Mb/s Upload. At minimum I was expecting it to be about just the same, if not better. How is this possible? I don't even have other devices connected to the R8000 right now, just my laptop.

Things to keep in mind

1. I have disabled the wifi function on my old modem/router provided by my ISP

2. My new router is in plain sight about 6ft away from me. I have it set up in my room

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk R8000 is giving me slower speeds than the modem/router my ISP had provided

Hi ayeitsgera,

If the modem is a modem and a router as one, try setting it to bridge mode and let the R8000 be the DHCP server. If not possible, set the R8000 to AP mode. Problem with the setup you have is the double natting which causes lesser speed when connected to the R8000.

JamesGL
Communtiy Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk R8000 is giving me slower speeds than the modem/router my ISP had provided

Hi ayeitsgera,

If the modem is a modem and a router as one, try setting it to bridge mode and let the R8000 be the DHCP server. If not possible, set the R8000 to AP mode. Problem with the setup you have is the double natting which causes lesser speed when connected to the R8000.

JamesGL
Communtiy Team

Message 2 of 5
ayeitsgera
Aspirant

Hi JamesGL,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the help. I was unable to set my R8000 to bridge mode (I didn't see it in the options when changing modes), but I was able to set it to access point mode. I checked my speeds afterwards and found that the 5Gz frequency was giving me speeds in the 70Mb/s download range as hoped for. However, the 2.4Gz frequency was giving me speeds in the 30Mb/s download range. Is this to be expected? My iPhone uses the 2.4Gz frequency and I've noticed some trouble loading videos or images sometimes, primarily on Facebook.
Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi ayeitsgera,

It is normal for the 2.4Ghz to have slower connection compared to 5Ghz, this is due to the coexistence of the networks which may be using the same channel as yours. 2.4Ghz has more interference compared to 5Ghz which causes slower speed.

JamesGL
Communtiy Team

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi ayeitsgera,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL
Communtiy Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7