Nighthawk R8000 keeps dropping device internet connection

mptan8
Guide

Nighthawk R8000 keeps dropping device internet connection

Hi, 

I have the R8000. last updated about 6/2018. since, been having problem w/ my devices such as smartphone, thermostat, and network synology drive. Phones will show wifi connected, but no internet. re connecting wifi or rebooting phone does not correct this. ONLY rebooting R8000 corrects it. 

However, PC connected by wifi or LAN works fine. 

thankx. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk R8000 keeps dropping device internet connection

Log into the router go to  Advanced- Advanced setup - Wireless settings then the last check box at the bottom should say enable impact beamforming try checking that box see if anything changes.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 16
mptan8
Guide

Hi,

I check my setting. the box for beaming is checked. I uncheck and rechecked it. 

will see. . .

thankx

Message 3 of 16
mptan8
Guide

hi, 

R8000 still dropping smartphone device again. My phone says wifi connected, but no internet. Reboot R8000 corrects the problem, but I dont' want to keep on rebooting it. PC wifi don't have the same problem. 

i think this occured since the last firmware update about 1 month ago. 

is there a fix for this?

Message 4 of 16
IrvSp
Master

Fix, probably not unless the true cause is known.

As a test, go back to the prior f/w and see if it works OK.

Message 5 of 16
mptan8
Guide

Where can i get previous version of the firmware?
Message 6 of 16
IrvSp
Master

Go to SUPPORT via the menu, then enter you router model, press enter, then select downloads. At the bottom of the list is past versions, click on that and you'll see some to choose. D/L, unzip, and then load via the router UPDATE page. Say yes to replace with an older version, Done.

Message 7 of 16
kman68
Star

Ha, for the last 3 or 4 months i have had nothing but internet connection problems.  Mainly when I brought my laptop home from work to work from home.  Cussed out the cable company and even got my IT group involved.  As soon as i turned my work laptop on, all wifi devices would lose connection, except my laptop.  Netgear said it was a security issue with my work IT.  

Then I realized that it has only been happening over the last few months.  Dug out my old R7000 and hooked it up, low and behold, no more issues.  I have tested it by multiple device downloads and switching wifi signals.  Didn't miss a beat.  

I have a large stone and stucco house, so I liked the better range and speed of the r8000.  However, looking at this site and the reviews on amazon, this device obviously has major flaws and issues.  Mine is out of warranty now, but I feel pretty ripped off after paying $250 for this worthless paper weight.  Time to try a different brand.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 16
myersw
Master

Welcome to the hate Netgear and their support of the r8000 and r8000p club. Firmware is crap and has been crap. Sold my r8000p and got a Asus RT-AC86U. The Asus was up for 44 days before a firmware update, no issues. Then because I like to play got a r7800 cheap and decided to try first Voxel's firmware which ran well for me and then to install LEDE. LEDE is working without any issues, no reboots, no Internet drops, no wireless issues. So nice to have a network that just works. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 9 of 16
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

Had similar issues with the new firmware rolled back to previous Firmware Version 1.0.4.12 and this resolved the issues I was experiencing.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 16
sfckelley
Initiate

My R8000 just started dropping wifi, causing havoc in the house! After resetting, resetting to factory settings, resetting modem, testing modem, I plugged in my old Apple Airport Extreme and the issue is resolved. Disappointed with Netgear!

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 16
myersw
Master

If you can I would return the r8000 to where you purchased it. It seems that Netgear is never going to get a good firmware load for the r8000. Problems have been on going and maybe a problem is fixed, but then another issue comes up. The post above you says he is having good luck with a particular build. Maybe try that one? 

Is auto update turned on? I think it is by default, so what might have happened is a update came down and you are not at a new version with issues. 

If you can return it, get a r7800 as they seem to be much more stable. I sold my r8000, by the way. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 16
kman68
Star

I rolled back the firmware as suggested and no more problems.  It has been working great for a couple of weeks now. I went back to my N900 for a couple of weeks while I figured out what to do with the nighthawk.  It worked fine, but was dfinitely slower and much reduced range.  I have a large house and lot with 3 kids all connected, so lots of devices on wifi.  I really like how well the R8000 handles them all and am glad it is working good again.

I won't update until I see enough response that netgear has come out with a good firmware update.

Message 13 of 16
rankinstudio
Tutor

Mine was also doing this. It was an overheating issue. 2 cheap usb fans on top of it solved the issue 100%

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 14 of 16
SherryJC
Tutor

It's Feb. 2019 and the R8000 device disconnect issue persists. Our phones (all 6 of them) will lose the internet connection while everything else continues to function normally. I bought this router to replace my failing R7800, which was still under the store (purchased) extended replacement warranty, so it only cost me about $40 for the new modem and a new extended warranty. I'm so disappointed with this router after assuming it would be reliable out of the box. Firmware is up to date.

When will there be a solution to this problem, or is there a solution already that I haven't found?
Message 15 of 16
IrvSp
Master

@SherryJC wrote:
It's Feb. 2019 and the R8000 device disconnect issue persists. Our phones (all 6 of them) will lose the internet connection while everything else continues to function normally. I bought this router to replace my failing R7800, which was still under the store (purchased) extended replacement warranty, so it only cost me about $40 for the new modem and a new extended warranty. I'm so disappointed with this router after assuming it would be reliable out of the box. Firmware is up to date.

When will there be a solution to this problem, or is there a solution already that I haven't found?

Well, in another thread @DarrenM just stated he posted this (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Firmware-1-0-9-64/m-p/1700570#M118024):

============

We’ve recently improved the device list accuracy on the R7000 with the latest fw version 1.0.9.64. Check it out and let us know what you think! For everyone else, stay tuned as we work on getting this improvement on more models.

============

I sort of figured that is what Netgear was up to... a bunch on fixes into one firmware, and where ever there was an R7000 problem he and another NG Moderator has been telling people to TRY that .64 firmware to see if it works... essentially calling for Alpha/Beta testers. I guess they know what the Support Quality Assurance group/dept. is worth?

I go to the thread and pressure him for some information and results.

By the way, the README for that firmware DID NOT contain fixes listed that the moderators asked people with problems to try.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements