Nighthawk R8000 to Virgin Media Hub 3

awaism73
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 to Virgin Media Hub 3

Hi there

I have recently purchased a Nighthawk x6 AC3200 router and cannot use it with my Virgim Media Hub 3 in modem mode.

Does anyone have a guide to setup.

Its working as a extender with the VM Hub in router mode, but that defeats the object of buying the x6.

Thanks

Awais

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk R8000 to Virgin Media Hub 3

@awaism73 wrote:

Hi there

I have recently purchased a Nighthawk x6 AC3200 router and cannot use it with my Virgim Media Hub 3 in modem mode.

Its working as a extender with the VM Hub in router mode, but that defeats the object of buying the x6.

Thanks

Awais

Delete 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 8
myersw
Master

@myersw wrote:

@awaism73 wrote:

Hi there

Thanks

Awais

Delete 

In modem mode you should be able to get to Internet with a PC plugged into the Media Hub. Does that work? If so I would power off both the hub and router. Then powerup the hub and wait for it to stablize and then with the router plugged into the hub, power up the router. Should work. At least that is the case for other issues like this. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 8
awaism73
Aspirant

Hi there

Many thanks for theupdate. Our resolve is as follows:

Connect Nighthawk to Hub 3 in router mode.

Login in to Nighthawk, change MAC address setting to "Use this PC's MAC address" in the Internet Tab via www.routerlogin.net

Log out Nighthawk, put Hub 3 in router mode.

Switch both items off for 10 minutes.

Also deleted any old Public Networks in "Network & Sharing" in Windows

Regards

Awais.

Message 4 of 8
myersw
Master

Glad you got it working. Normally a power off of modem router and then power up modem and let it stablize then power up the router is all that is needed, but modems can get cranky about the MAC as you found out.  

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] modems can get cranky about the MAC as you found out.

Not really.  The modem doesn't care about anything; a (cable-TV)
_ISP_ may care about the MAC address of the device which is connected to
its network.

Message 6 of 8
myersw
Master

@antinode wrote:

> [...] modems can get cranky about the MAC as you found out.

Not really.  The modem doesn't care about anything; a (cable-TV)
_ISP_ may care about the MAC address of the device which is connected to
its network.

Very true, but have found some modems will work with a  variety of routers or PC's connected to them, has seen multiple MAC's, without a reboot and some will only work if rebooted to clear MAC info. This is my experience on my Comcast Internet. From what I have read and been told the modem does store the MAC not just push it on to the ISP. With previous modem connected to same ISP it was up for over a year during that time it saw 2 Linksys WRT's, a r8000, a r8000p, Asus rt-ac86u and Netgear r7800. Never needed to reboot the modem for any of these to connect. Not same with new modem. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 8
emmi78smith
Initiate

I have Nighthawk router at my home and this work fine, but Normally a power off of modem router and then power up modem and let it stabilize then power up the router is all that is needed.

https://www.routertechnicalsupportnumbers.com/cisco-router-support/

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E