Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000P WAN aggregation error

Voltz1228
Guide

Nighthawk R8000P WAN aggregation error

I am trying to setup the WAN aggregation as my internet speed is over 1 gigabit. My modem is an Arris SB8200, I have already enabled the aggregation settings on that device. Whenever I try to enable WAN aggregation on my router, it results in the following message "Error: Unable to establish WAN aggregation." 

I have tried different ports, WAN + 4, WAN + 1, and 1 + 2, none of them work. I've looked at other settings and am at a loss for what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000P WAN aggregation error

what version of firmware are you on? 

Looks like it was added in version 1.4.1.42

did you enable wan port aggregation on the SB8200?

Enable it on both devices. power them both off, then turn on the modem, give it a couple minutes, then power on the r8000P

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

From what I see the R8000P only support lan link aggregation and not WAN port aggregation. 

Message 2 of 11
Voltz1228
Guide

That is what I originally thought the issue was as well, until I found this page on the netgear website that specifically mentions the R8000P as being able to do it. Plus the fact that it shows as an option when I go the the routerlogin.net page. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061095/How-do-I-set-up-Ethernet-port-aggregation-between-my-NETGEAR-Nighth...

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

what version of firmware are you on? 

Looks like it was added in version 1.4.1.42

did you enable wan port aggregation on the SB8200?

Enable it on both devices. power them both off, then turn on the modem, give it a couple minutes, then power on the r8000P

Message 4 of 11
Voltz1228
Guide

Firmware is 1.4.1.68, and yes I have it enabled on the SB8200. I will try that power order when I get home from work. However, previously the error popped up as soon as I applied the configuration before I could even connect the cables, as if it failed to apply the configuration itself. Is it normal for it to say that before everything is finished getting connected?
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

You can enable wan port aggregation without anything connected. It enables the functions but won't get a connection until booted in the proper order. 

I've done this between an between an RAX200,  RAXE500, and an ARRIS W31 with the Arris SB8200. 

I will advise the SB8200 wasn't stable on xfinity in wan port aggregation mode. It was slower and had stability issues. 

Message 6 of 11
Voltz1228
Guide

Okay thank you, will try that boot order. I guess a major part of my question is if anyone knows exactly which ports I should be using on the r8000p. The page I linked makes it sound like it should be internet and port 4, but ports 1 and 2 are the ones marked as aggregate. Hence why I tried different configurations.
Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

On all my devices that support wan port aggregation, its the wan port and lan port 1. 

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Message 9 of 11
Voltz1228
Guide

I’ve managed to fix it using the boot order you suggested. For anyone that finds this in the future, I also replaced the cables I was using with 2 identical brand and length cat 6 cables, and the ports that should be used are the WAN Internet port and Ethernet port 4. Thank you for your help.
Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!

If you mark the solution as solved it might help the next person

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation