Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000P firmare update in AP mode

ozdan
Guide

Nighthawk R8000P firmare update in AP mode

Greetings-

I got an email from Netgear that my router has a firmware update available. I have two model R8000P but the second one is slightly newer and is in AP mode. I logged into it and can see the "A router firmware upgrade is available." button at the top:

firmware update availablefirmware update available

So, I click the button and it brings me to the Firmware Update Assistant screen and shows me what the update will be:

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware? (Yes) (No)
Current GUI Language Version:1.4.1.64_2.1.46.1
New GUI Language Version:1.4.1.66_2.1.46.1
Current Firmware Version1.4.1.50
New Firmware Version1.4.1.66_1.3.26
Release Notes:
 1.   [Security Fixes] This firmware fixes security issues.
 2.   [Enhancements] Improves the built-in Speedtest by Ookla.
 3.   [Enhancements] Updates the QoS database to improve zoom video conferencing.
 4.   [Security Fixes] This firmware addresses security vulnerabilities.

It presents me with with 'Yes' or 'No' buttons to begin or cancel the update. I click 'Yes'. It begins but then presents to failure messages:

first failure messagefirst failure messagesecond failure messagesecond failure message

I've also tried going directly to the downloads support for this product but the version there is slightly older than what is presented in the table above,  old firmware is 1.4.1.64_1.3.25 but new firmware is 1.4.1.66_1.3.26 and new GUI language is 1.4.1.66_2.1.46.1. The upload tells me:

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

This screen will automatically return to the previous screen in a few seconds...

Any ideas on how I can get the Firmware Update Assistant to run correctly or where I can download the new GUI language version and firmware?

Thank you!

Dan

Message 1 of 7

Re: Nighthawk R8000P firmare update in AP mode

@ozdan wrote:

Any ideas on how I can get the Firmware Update Assistant to run correctly ...?

I wouldn't bother. Experienced users do manual updates.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Do this with a wired connection into your device and the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

This might be useful extra information on AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 7
ozdan
Guide

Thanks for your reply but I already stated that I tried both the assistant and the manual update (I've done manual updates before, just not on this router, with success) and neither worked.

Message 3 of 7
LorettaRN56
Tutor

I have been trying for MONTHS to get the firmware updated on my Nighthawk as well.  I've tried WiFi and hard wired, manual download and update assistant and NOTHING WORKS!!!!

Netgear's refusal to provide any technical support after the first 90 days appears to be an admission that their devices cannot be relied upon to work as advertised and sold for longer than 3 months.

I say sadly, having had a long history of happy and relatively trouble-free Netgear interactions.

I hope we get an answer that works.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 7
Chevelle-Life
Aspirant

Honestly at this point I’m going to buy a new one and return the old one as the new one. If they can’t support a faulty firmware they broke I don’t mind being a little shady to get what I paid for. A working router.
Message 5 of 7
LorettaRN56
Tutor

This is known in my family as the only way to exchange things!

Message 6 of 7
ozdan
Guide

I have two of these routers: one as the primary and the second one that is set in Access Point mode. The original second router may have had the same issue that you are/were having that it just would not update the firmware. I was lucky to start contacting Netgear before the warranty ran out, so after a lot of jumping through hoops they finally sent me a replacement router that worked. My feedback was that I hoped they would consider providing between 3-5 years of email support included with every unit as I felt this would get more folks buying their equipment. I am using the Armor security subscription and love that it helps keep my home network safe, especially over the last year working from home during Covid!

I hope you can get you router running again soon!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7