Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8000p Wifi dropping - Any updates?

PapaWoof
Star

Nighthawk R8000p Wifi dropping - Any updates?

Still having lots of wifi drops on our R8000P router. I have tried everything and it will be find and just start totally dropping. Anyone have any new ideas on how to fix? Netgear when are you going to fix the firmware?

Message 1 of 16

Greetings,

The Wi-Fi on my R8000P is 100% stable, and has been for years.  

What FW revision are you running?

How did you install this FW?  Automatically, manually, etc?

What troubleshooting steps have you performed?  If you'd like assistance, you will need to provide more information beyond I'm having "lots of Wi-Fi drops on my R8000P"?

We'll await your reply.

Message 2 of 16
PapaWoof
Star

Just downgraded to V1.4.0.10_1.2.14 on the firmware. Seeing if that helps. I have changed channels, and every other possible fix in the vaarious threads. This FW version I did a manual install and have turned auto update off

Devices will connect and then after an hour or so the wifi just stops working. Have to disconnect and reconnect to get it back up. The longer it goes the more frequent the drops. This seems to be a common issue for some. I have tried every possible troubleshooting option from network reset, new wifi cards and lots more.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 16

1.4.1.68 is super stable.

1.4.2.84 is also stable, but has a serious DNS resolution issue.

Have you reset the device to defaults, set up from scratch (Making minimal changes) and observed the behavior?

Message 4 of 16
TraceyHart
Initiate

Also facing the same issue at my end. Wifi keeps disconnecting but it happens only on mobile devices not on laptops, I don't know what is causing the issue.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R8000p-Wifi-dropping-Any-updates/m...

@TraceyHart wrote:

Also facing the same issue at my end. Wifi keeps disconnecting but it happens only on mobile devices not on laptops, I don't know what is causing the issue.

Message 6 of 16
PapaWoof
Star

I got so frustrated with it,  I went back to DGND4000 temporarily.

I had that before we got our Nighthawk. Even though it's an old gig router it's stable compared to the nighthawk. I'm going to do the full reset and everything but was so frustrated with the drops yesterday I stopped before i threw it out the window.

Going to try and totally redo it later this week

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R8000p-Wifi-dropping-Any-updates/m...

@PapaWoof wrote:

I got so frustrated with it,  I went back to DGND4000 temporarily.

I had that before we got our Nighthawk. Even though it's an old gig router it's stable compared to the nighthawk. I'm going to do the full reset and everything but was so frustrated with the drops yesterday I stopped before i threw it out the window.

Going to try and totally redo it later this week

Message 8 of 16
PapaWoof
Star

Well just took back to factory and did all the tweaks reccomended including the .68 firmware. Lets see how things go!

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted on that..

Message 10 of 16
PapaWoof
Star

Well the full reset and reload and everything else was fine for about 48 hours then it started dropping again on the AC4000/R8000P. I tried all the suggested settings and no luck.

I even swapped 2 different Netgear A6100, Netgear A7000 and Linksys AC6700 usb wifi's and no luck all of them would go a bit and then start dropping. I installed the Netgear Genie and it was detecting quite a few drops. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

So back to my old Netgear DGND4000 Router and my Linksys usb wifi and it's been totally stable now.

So frustrating!!!

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 12 of 16
PapaWoof
Star

No one that is netgear or same channel, have checked that out

My DGND4000 is the same exact settings and no issues at all

Message 13 of 16
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PapaWoof, we recommend contacting our support team for further troubleshooting and isolation. You can always reach our support team via the link below if you need any technical assistance with your NETGEAR device.

https://www.netgear.com/home/contact-us/default.aspx

You can also call the number below.

1-888-NETGEAR (1-888-6384327)

Dexter

Message 14 of 16
PapaWoof
Star

Thank you for the advice Dexter but that would require me paying additional for support since i'm out of my support period. You would think that Netgear would offer support for free considering this is a known issue affecting multiple users.

Message 15 of 16
PapaWoof
Star

Dexter,

Replied to your private message as it never showed up until recently. Just seeing if you are still with Netgear and we can proceed to level 2 support and how do I go about doing that?

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7