Nighthawk R8500 DHCP scope

Frankln
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8500 DHCP scope

I would really like to use this router as my DCHP server instead of my Windows Server.  It's just easier.

But I can't figure out why these settings won't work on the router.

With DHCP enabled, it will not assign any IPs to any device that doesn't have a reservation.

I want to only dynamically assign IPs above 192.168.0.201 while maintaining the 192.168.0.1 as the Gateway.  Is this beyond the capability of this router?

DHCP.jpg

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk R8500 DHCP scope

Welcome to the community, @FrankIn

The router should assign an IP address as long as "Use Router as DHCP Server" is selected.

In your case, you mentioned that after changing the starting and ending IP address it won't assign those IP addresses? 

What's the firmware version installed on your router? 

I tried replicating this but I do not experience the problem you are having. 

The PC that I use will still get an IP address from the router no matter what range I set under starting and ending IP addresses. 

Try to reinstall the firmware then do factory reset  and then reconfigure the router to get the Internet connection back.

Once done, check if you will have the same issue. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 10
LeeH
Prodigy

I don't want to make you mad but did you click on the apply button after changing the DHCP range? 

Have you tried turning off and back on all your devices that need a DHCP IP address in order to release their previous lease and aquire a new IP?  This powering off and on may not be enough for some computers or devices.  You may have to force them to release their previous DHCP lease from a command line.

Message 3 of 10
Frankln
Aspirant

I am running the latest and greatest firmware.

When I initially configured the Starting IP Address to 192.168.0.2, DHCP on the router was working.
Changing it to 192.168.0.201 stopped the functionality.

I will reinstall the firmware and reset to factory (ugh) and try again.
As long as I know that this configuration is valid, I'll press forward.
(I say this because I just returned a LinkSys that would not allow this type of advanced configuration)

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Are you trying to reserve IP addresses that are not in the 192.168.0.2xx range?  I don't think that will work.

Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just to clarify, the DHCP server should assign IP addresses on your client devices that is within the IP address range (Starting and Ending IP address) 
Don't expect that you will get an automatic IP address on your client of 192.168.0.5 when your Starting IP address is set on 192.168.0.100.

The router doesn't have the capability to assign an automatic IP address that it's not within the specified IP address range. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 10
Frankln
Aspirant

I'm confused by your question because the whole idea of DHCP is to assign an IP address that is within the defined scope.  I purposedly created reservations outside of the scope for specific network resources that need a consistent IP.  It is much easier to do this than to hard code an IP into a TV set or AVR that, by default (and after a factory reset) use DHCP.

I assume the subnet mask cannot be altered, so in my case, the network 192.168.0.0/24 is valid.  My original question stems from my experiences with home networking routers that force novice users to place a DHCP reservation within the dynamic scope.  As a network administrator, I prefer to keep them separate.

However, by configuring this router in this manner, I have been unsuccesful in getting an IP dynamicatlly assigned to any of my DHCP clients (in this case being 192.168.0.201 thru 192.168.0.220)

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Still unable to get IP address from the DHCP?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Frankln wrote:

I purposedly created reservations outside of the scope for specific network resources that need a consistent IP. 

What you are supposed to do is created the reservations within the scope - because the address is still being provided with DHCP.  The router will provide a consistent IP.

Message 9 of 10
LeeH
Prodigy

You may have discovered a bug in the firmware.  You might try setting the DHCP IP range to 192.168.0.201~192.168.0.254 and see if including the end of the subnet will work.

I have my DHCP range truncated to 192.168.1.2.~192.168.1.199 with my printers having static IP's of 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201   I reserve all my IP addresses including the static IP addresses.  My gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the netmask is 255.255.255.0  This is working for me.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E