Nighthawk R8500 Router ping keeps spiking and random disconnects from internet

HanYolo
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8500 Router ping keeps spiking and random disconnects from internet

So this all started a few weeks ago and it progressivly getting worse, whenever I am gaming my ping will spike to about 4000 and slowly slowly drop back down to normal. Makes gaming almost impossible when it does this. It also disconnects, as it was doing right before I am writing this. It also seems to disconnect from the internet whenever I download large games at higher speeds 400 mb/s. Not quite sure whats going on, the ISP (Charter Spectrum) said the modem didn't have any outages recorded on their end and it has to be the router so here I am. It only started when we purchased the router about a year ago but I lived through the internet dropping while downloading. However the ping spikes and internet blinking off started not too long ago and its starting to affect gaming. So any ideas, im all for it or we are gonna have to get a new router. Firmware is update to date I believe. 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
HanYolo
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R8500 Router ping keeps spiking and random disconnects from internet

Firmware Version 
V1.0.2.122

Message 2 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk R8500 Router ping keeps spiking and random disconnects from internet

Have you tried to factory reset the router by holding the reset button for 10+ seconds? This will wipe all the settings in the router and you will have to set it up again and see if that clears the issues up. You also may want to log into the modem and find the log files and check to see if you have a bunch of T3 and T4 timeouts in the logs. If so it could be a issue with the ISP connection,

DarrenM

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E