Re: Nighthawk R8500 not connecting - was working before for a few days now getting an amber light

Konkhra
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk R8500 not connecting - was working before for a few days now getting an amber light

Unbelievable. I should have checked this first before buying. I had a R8000 which "broke" after after a few months use, went and bought this one and having same issues. Netgear just can't get their flagship products to work it seems.
Message 76 of 121
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Konkhra I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you're experiencing the same problem, kindly contact support for further troubleshooting or possible replacement.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 77 of 121
ScaryGirl2
Aspirant

Message 78 of 121
ScaryGirl2
Aspirant

When I called in in this issue they wanted to send me a refurbished product back. Soooo, I spend $350 on a new one and 30 days later you send me a refurbished.  I could have saved money getting refurbished in the beginning.  Ooompf.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 79 of 121
Jsheeler
Aspirant

Got mine on black Friday from Amazon worked fine for first day after firmware update now only amber power light and reset does nothing....
Message 80 of 121
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Get it replaced @Jsheeler 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 81 of 121
Jsheeler
Aspirant

Thanks, yea I tried to register it on Netgear.com and it was already registered to a support rep. So I contacted Amazon and they overnighted a new one about to set it up now hopefully no issues with this one. Already took the registration on Netgear so thats better than my first one already Smiley Happy

Message 82 of 121
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jsheeler That's great! 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 83 of 121
umfan7
Aspirant

Elaine after reading these posts and not getting any results from customer service I am returning mine to Best Buy and getting a replacement. Is there a way to remove the s/n from the returned unit being registered to me?

Message 84 of 121
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@umfan7 You may contact our Customer Care team at customer.service@netgear.com.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 85 of 121
J_Kelley
Aspirant

I purchased the new router on 1/28, tried to set it up on 1/31- called support. We went thru many different tests (re-booting the modem, router, computer, etc) multiple times. According to the support person, the router kept defaulting to a different IP address and she determined it was defective. I exchanged it with Amazon, received the new one. It set up beautiuflly this morning. I updated to the new firmware, registered it, etc. All was great until I returned home this evening and its doing exactly what the other one was doing. Light stays amber, wifi blinks occassionally and it will not communicate with the modem. 

I contacted my internet provider to check my modem before I went through this hassle again and the modem is working fine. I can plug my 5 yr old router in and it works fine. I guess I'll return it and keep the $386. After seeing the posts with this same issue going back over a year, my guess is there is no fix????

My internet provider IT guy said it could possibly be some setting within the router to tell it to Broaden the DHCP range? Any thoughts on that or should I actually give up?

Message 86 of 121
LeeH
Prodigy

You should do a factory reset after every firmware change.

Try resetting the router with an exceptionally long reset.  Press in the reset button on the back of the router for about 30 seconds so that it will reset more than once.  You should see the first reset complete when the power light turns orange and starts to blink.  Keep holding in the reset button until the router goes through this reset two more times.  Then change the admin password and run with default configuration.

This may work for you.

Message 87 of 121
StephenB
Guru

@J_Kelley wrote:

I purchased the new router on 1/28, tried to set it up on 1/31- called support. We went thru many different tests (re-booting the modem, router, computer, etc) multiple times. According to the support person, the router kept defaulting to a different IP address and she determined it was defective.

This was Netgear support?  

Your router's IP address is a public IP address that comes from your ISP.   Your ISP assigns it when the router requests it.  The ISP can change it, and often it will change when you reboot the router.

The router provides private IP addresses (usually 192.168.1.x) to your ethernet and wifi devices.  The router will sometimes change these private addresses to 10.0.0.x or 172.16.0.x addresses.  That generally happens if there is another router between the R8500 and your ISP.

Figuring out your options depends on exactly what IP addresses are changing.  Do you know?

Message 88 of 121
J_Kelley
Aspirant

We tried that with the support person at Netgear last week. She shaid that the reset only works when the power light is white but it stays in amber. I've tried it anyway and it isn't doing anything- same as last week. The whole router will occasionally blink through all of the lights and then goes back to amber.

Message 89 of 121
J_Kelley
Aspirant

I spoke to our ISP this evening and he told me the IP address that we are using and also the one that the router is using. Like I said it was all working fine this morning, what makes it change? How do I find out? I wanted to call in to support but can't seem to find a number online again to get a person on the phone.

Message 90 of 121
StephenB
Guru

@J_Kelley wrote:

what makes it change? How do I find out? 

I still don't know which IP address is it - the public one or the private ones.  You can see the router's public IP address on the router homescreen (clicking on the advanced page).  If you go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ then you should see the same IP address.

Your local devices should be using one of three address ranges:  192.168.1.x, 10.0.0.x or 172.16.0.x.  Are these the addresses that are changing?  If so, is the "x" changing, or is 192.168.1 changing to something else?

You could ask your ISP to describe more precisely what they are seeing - then either cut/paste the chat text, or cut/paste from the email when they do that.

Message 91 of 121
kyledron
Aspirant

This is rediculous. $350 for a product that doesn't work. What's even worse is how long netgear has known about this for years and have still not fixed it, let alone recall or stop producing their "premium product." Buyer beware, I wish I had read more about this before I bought it. I will definitely be returning this for my money back.

Message 92 of 121
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats wrong with yours? 

@kyledron wrote:

This is rediculous. $350 for a product that doesn't work. What's even worse is how long netgear has known about this for years and have still not fixed it, let alone recall or stop producing their "premium product." Buyer beware, I wish I had read more about this before I bought it. I will definitely be returning this for my money back.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 93 of 121
kyledron
Aspirant

Same problem as the previous posts. first day I got it, it worked fine. Fireware updated. Stopped working. Tryed to hard reset it. Amber light. Tried reseting modem and redoing the complete setup process again. Amber light. 

I start up the router. Blinks white and trys to connect to my internet and then goes right back to amber. That cycle will continue to go. 

I recently sent it back for a refund and bought myself a linksys AC2600 and it was very much easier to set up. It is also working with no issues.

Message 94 of 121
kyledron
Aspirant

Same problem as the previous posts. first day I got it, it worked fine. Fireware updated. Stopped working. Tryed to hard reset it. Amber light. Tried reseting modem and redoing the complete setup process again. Amber light. 

I start up the router. Blinks white and trys to connect to my internet and then goes right back to amber. That cycle will continue to go. 

I recently sent it back for a refund and bought myself a linksys AC2600 and it was very much easier to set up. It is also working with no issues.

Message 95 of 121
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

@kyledron wrote:

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 96 of 121
Zneu
Aspirant

Just purchased a new R8500 it lasted 4 hours before the Red light saga began, I contacted Tech support and their response was to just go and exchange the product.

I live in remote rural Australia, this is not an easy option as it will be a month before I can get back into town.

Why would you release such a high price product with such a constant bug, that you tech support team cannot assist with.

If the firmwear is the problem why does it auto update? Why not have working firmwear in the box.

Please let me know if there are other soultions other then return and replace, if i have to wait a month to get this modem exchanged then I might as well do the reasearch and get a less problematic product.

Really is a bad experience for a first time netgear user and so far the custome support has been extremely poor. 

Message 97 of 121
Zneu
Aspirant

Follow up to my previous post.

I have now contacted Net gear support 3 times, the first call i was told this was my fault.

The 2nd call i waited 1/2 an hour then hung up.

3rd call the guy on the other end of the phone didnt undestand me and asked me to call back, when i asked to speak to someone else he said that wasnt possible and could i call back, when i asked to speak to his supervisor he asked could i call back.

for a world wide company sell prodcuts in a high price bracket, this has been a disgusting experience, I dont have a working modem, i am out 600-700 dollars and support seems unable or not interseted in assisting me, my seller has asked for a RMA number, which is what i am trying to get but net gear doesnt want to provide even though my registered product offeres replacement, Buyer beware.

This is a know issue why is it so hard to get some assistance. 

Message 98 of 121
Zneu
Aspirant

Wow what a joke, I am furious, I was talking to customer support, asking for an RMA - return number for the supplier of my product to help speed up the procees after being told by support that this was what i need to do, when I requested this I was told that this couldnt happen as the supplier was not a prefered supplier? I was not happy, but I did not swear at all, I asked to speak to a supervisor and the so called Technicial expert HUNG UP THE PHONE. how is that for customer support from an international distributior.

I am on hold again this will now mean I have been on the phone to net gear support today for over 90 Minutes.

How do I get support from this company, I have had the router 1 day it is no longer working at all, I cannot even access the router using an ethernet cable. All I am told is that I need to return it to the place of purchase. which will be done, I will get a refund and find a more reliable and supporting manufacture, this experience has been terrible - if you are thinking of buying NETGEAR think again............

Message 99 of 121
bmiller666
Aspirant

Same issue (2 years later!).

Ran about 36 hours, died with solid amber power led.

• no power in the ethernet ports (does connect & ping for about 5 seconds while booting though...)
  • no sid broadcast
  • I did update the firmware before I set it up (V1.0.2.100)
  • can't reset factory defs
  • great $300 paperweight

Getting a replacement from Amazon.  After reading this 2 year old thread I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have gone with a replacement.

Message 100 of 121
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E