Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8500 replacement?

phillipg
Tutor

Nighthawk R8500 replacement?

Hi, I just had a bad experience with a new R8500. Worked fine intially, and 48 hours later it was a brick. Seems to be the same bootloop issues that other people have had. I bought this as I needed to upgrade my router as it wasn't keeping up with all of the familiy's devices. I like netgear products, and even though this model seems to have an issue, I would like to get another Netgear router. Can someone recommend a similiar device that doesn't have these major issues?

I need to support the following: 5 phones, all samsung galaxy S6 or higher.  1 samsung TV, 2 Rokus. 1 older generation Sonos. HP Printer. 1 macbook, 1 PC, 1 macmini, all purchased in the last three years. 2 Kindle fire 7s. Playstation 4 Pro. On top of that, we routinely have guests with phones, tablets or laptops, and we'll need room to expand as I'm sure there will be another device (or two or three) that we will buy at some point.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
phillipg
Tutor

In the end, I exchanged the router through Amazon. ElaineM was very helpful here in the forums, but customer service was not getting back to me. I was tired of waiting for someone to send me a return authorization, and in the end, it was easy to just exchange the router through Amazon. Hopefully the new R8500 will not have the boot issue. If it does have issues, I will post an update.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 20

All Replies
Dbeedle
Aspirant

Exact same problem, but both routers within 24 hrs. My second X8 just went down. Starts to boot up gets all the lights to flash and then power goes to amber and all ports are turned off.

Message 2 of 20
microchip8
Master

Have you considered to RMA the product? The R8500 is decent hardware but it looks like you guys got bad apples

Message 3 of 20
phillipg
Tutor

I'm hesitant to do so with so many people saying they had a problem with their second, replacement R8500. I might just get an extender for my current router, and wait a year or so for the Orbi (and other similiar solutions) to mature.

Message 4 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@phillipg I suggest that you contact support and submit a case. 

Message 5 of 20
phillipg
Tutor

Is the correct contact netgearteam@netgear.com? I've emailed them but have not gotten a response.

Message 6 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Submit a case through my.netgear.com

Message 7 of 20
phillipg
Tutor

That's not an option for me. When I emailed netgearteam@netgear.com (which is the email address Netgear is giving out for support on Amazon), I sent the seriel number for my R8500. I now cannot register the router to get help through my.netgear.com.

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 5.56.07 PM.png

Message 8 of 20
phillipg
Tutor

I am assuming they will respond to the email soon. If I haven't heard from them by Wednesday morning, I'll email again unless you have another suggestion about how to get help when I cannot register my router.

Message 9 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly PM me the Serial Number.

Message 10 of 20
phillipg
Tutor

In the end, I exchanged the router through Amazon. ElaineM was very helpful here in the forums, but customer service was not getting back to me. I was tired of waiting for someone to send me a return authorization, and in the end, it was easy to just exchange the router through Amazon. Hopefully the new R8500 will not have the boot issue. If it does have issues, I will post an update.

Message 11 of 20
peter11742
Luminary

Hi to All.

I heard all of you have an issue with the R8500.

I just made the procedure how to fix any broken bricked R8500.

I have this router which I experament in line now for 3 days.

I never experiance any glich.

I have to give you the solution.

The latest firmware  it never worked for my router.

I used and installed the first firmware this is very stable.

I use this computer on line it never gave me any problems.

For you who know how to load software install the the old software you are going to love this router.

Please follow my procedure.

peter11742

Message 12 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you do any special steps to make it work?

Can you share here your solution?

Message 13 of 20
phillipg
Tutor

I'm curious too. As an update, my replacement R8500 came in from Amazon a few days ago, and it's been working great so far.

Message 14 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@phillipg Glad to hear that!

Message 15 of 20
peter11742
Luminary

Hi.

My steps are under   ( R8500 bricked ) by peter11742.

It is a big section but the procedure is clear only in one amall section.

It took us one week to make it work some of the software had issues but all worked out good.

The instructions are easy to follow and they work.

By the way many people have problems I do understtand this.

I selected this particular router because the test on all the routers this year this R8500 went the farthest distance.

So I got one from ebay bricked I play with it I made to work and I tested.

It is very good product and is the first one that I have from NETGEAR.

So please read my instractions and let me know if you need any help.

The final information that I have to share with all of you is that the new firmware is not working on any bricked R8500.

Only the first firmware is working and I have use it for one week it perfect no glithes.

Best regards.

peter11742

Message 16 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@peter11742 Thank you for that information. 

Message 17 of 20
peter11742
Luminary

Wellcome.

peter11742

Message 18 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Firmware updates may include various changes such as new features, bug fixes, security updates and other enhancements. If you downgrade to old firmware you lose any benefits from newer firmware.

Message 19 of 20
peter11742
Luminary

Hi. MDGM.

Thanks for this worning.

If you have read what I mentioned on my fixing the bricked R8500 you will understand  that loading the new software

is not possible.

Many people have this problem and I found it by looking to find a solution to fix the router.

Please tell this to the main software engineer and if he will make it ease and compatible I will update the software.

Between from the two versions only the old version works.

It seems there is a glich on the update nvram is not working it is a different firmware structure.

I tried to do this when I went to configure the router.  It  bricked the router with a red constant led.

So it easy for me to fix it now and I reinstalled the old software one more time.

It works realy good for one week I never had any issue with all the provided channels and they are 3 of them.

I am willing to experament if you agree to tell me what to do to install the new update.

Regardles I will be responsible for the update and no one else. This will make happy many other users.

My R8500 is test router that covers all my house.  It is vey good product

Best regards.

peter11742

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7