Re: Nighthawk R9000 WiFI Off Warning

DJLOCK085
Aspirant

Nighthawk R9000 WiFI Off Warning

I've seen a couple of posts in various forums about this issue now with no offered resolution. 

I have no WiFi being broadcast by the router (2.4 or 5GHz, note 60GHz has not previously been enabled on my unit although is working - see below) - this includes the LEDs being off on the front of the unit. In the "Basic" home screen of the web interface there is an amber status on Wireless stating that is "off" although all settings are set as on. 

Have tried a rooter reboot from the web interface with no change. Will try a factory reset tonight when I have the time but from other posts, this seems to have yielded no change either. 

Have tried switching the wireless off and on from the wireless button on the unit - antenna LEDs turn off and the WPS button LED turns off however the wireless button LED stays lit which seems incorrect from recollection. No change to the 2.4 / 5 GHz functionality when switched back on from the wireless button on the unit.

Also tried switching off the wireless broadcast for 2.4 / 5 GHz in the web interface settings and switching back on with no change.  

Finally tried enabling 60 GHz (a similar post indicated this was still working when 2.4 / 5 GHz was not) from the web interface and the 60GHz LED on the unit is now lit. The outcome from that case is after conducting some remote testing, Netgear stated the unit was damaged and required replacement. If this is the case for me I will not be happy - I've had this unit for not long over a year and it runs on a surge protected supply (albeit not UPS-backed). 

All other functionality is fine (internet access, etc.) - indeed it runs a couple of Netgear APs around my property and again, functionality (including WiFi) with these is as normal.

Firmware version is 1.0.5.8 and no available updates currently - BT Openreach DSL modem in front of it (I'm in the UK).

Has anyone seen / know of a successful outcome to this? 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

@DJLOCK085 wrote:

Firmware version is 1.0.5.8 and no available updates currently - BT Openreach DSL modem in front of it (I'm in the UK).

Is that the dreaded BT Homehub? If so, it is not a modem so much as a modem/router. And in its wisdom, BT doesn't like people messing around turning off the router features of its junk. (I have some of these things still sitting in their shrink wrap.) So you may be running with two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have no idea how this fits in with your symptoms. You could try the R9000 in wireless access point mode to see if it changes things.

In my case, I binned the BT junk in favour of a standalone DSL modem followed by decent routers. (Two DM200s.) But these are getting hard to find.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
DJLOCK085
Aspirant

Hi, no it's not a Home Hub, it's an Open Reach Modem in front of the R9000.

I've found some posts regarding similar issues (wireless functionality being lost) which point to the internal flash memory of the router being corrupted and procedures to format this - going to give that a go today.

Message 3 of 5

@DJLOCK085 wrote:

Hi, no it's not a Home Hub, it's an Open Reach Modem in front of the R9000.

OpenReach is a network company. It does not sell anything to consumers. Nor does it make modems.

There are various Openreach branded Fibre Modems that BT and others supply, sometimes made by Huawei.

But you say you have DSL. There is also something called a BT Openreach DSL modem. But it is an ancient device that they stopped supporting years ago.

Who knows? Without a make or model number, we are all left guessing.

Some of the various Openreach Fibre Modems I have seen are modem/routers.

That could explain what you experience. But with an anonymous "modem" who knows?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5
DJLOCK085
Aspirant

Hi @michaelkenward - appreciate the input - I wasn't providing much detail on the modem as to me this was obviously a firmware / hardware issue with the R9000 (the modem has performed flawlessly with the router for well over a year). Netgear have now confirmed it's a hardware fault with the router and are replacing so this is sorted. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E