Nighthawk R9000 WiFi Weak Signal

DJMarceau
Aspirant

Nighthawk R9000 WiFi Weak Signal

Having an issue with my R9000.  Up until a week ago I had a strong single (full bars) throughout the house.  Now I have only 1-2 bars even when I am in the same room as the router.  The firmware is the latest version (V1.0.4.2).  I have done several resets and have done a complete reset/power down on my cable modem.  Anyone have any suggestions on where I should look to next?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk R9000 WiFi Weak Signal

What you should look at is what changed. Did you upgrade the firmware on the router. Did you change location of the router. Did you change configuration of the router? In other words we need to look at what changed. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 9
DJMarceau
Aspirant

Thanks.  Nothing has changed in terms of location, wiring, etc.  I did a firmware update back when I first bought/installed the unit back in March of this year.

Message 3 of 9
xnsys
Luminary

Known issue - which NetGear are dragging their heals to fix.

For the time being, use universally equal channels, where the signal strength is the same all over the world.

Message 4 of 9
myersw
Master

One other option would be to try Voxel's firmware. Looks the same and built off of the Netgear source, but he does try to do fixes where he can. Worth a try as it installs just like anyother manual install through the UI. His firmware runs flawlessly on my r7800. 

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r9000.html

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 9
xnsys
Luminary

Yes - go with Voxel's firmware - it has the Country Code fix and that will help

Message 6 of 9
Supeng63
Aspirant

I just discovered this issue as well. I have the latest 1.0.4.12 firmware installed. The 5GHz radio has good signal but the 2.4GHz just dropped to 20% as measured with Netgear's WiFi Analytics app right next to the antennas. I have a few devices like a printer and an older laptop that can't receive 5GHz.

Now for the thing that changed... Because of my location I had to place a cell signal extender in my house to prevent dropped cell calls. It's been running fine for about a month co-existing happily with the router with no indication of interference. Then suddenly my printer losses connection. Could the cell extender possibly have damaged the router radio somehow?

I unplugged the cell extender and the 2.4GHz never improved. I tried reverting to old and back to the latest firmware to no avail. I'm a bit leary of trying a third party firmware. I suppose a power line WiFi extender is an option but that seems unfair if it all used to work before.

Thoughts?

Dave

Message 7 of 9
Supeng63
Aspirant

Would resetting the router back to factory defaults possibly fix the issue?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
myersw
Master

@Supeng63 wrote:

Would resetting the router back to factory defaults possibly fix the issue?

That would be the first step after a firmware update and then having issues. Some firmware updates will install without issue, but some require a reset, due to something they did in the firmware so they say. I say crap firmware if that is the case, by the way. If you don't know how to reset, check your manual or the only manual. 

Important: do not use a backup configuration file if you created one as that just reconfigures the router with the same problem. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E