Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

Bababooey
Guide

Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

Hello,

I just purchased the new Nighthawk R9000 (X10) and I am getting sub-par wired performance.  I have a 1gbit Internet connection using 1gbit Ethernet (so real world speeds should be around 940-950 mbit/sec). 

Running speed tests direct to my modem (no router) get me about 950mbit/sec.

Running speed tests to my older Nighthawk R8000 get me about 940mbit/sec.

Running speed tests to the new Nighthawk R9000 get me about 780mbit/sec.

The wired performance of this router seems to be significantly lacking compared to the older R8000 model. Is this a known issue?  

If this is something that cannot be fixed then I will need to either return this model and go back to the R8000 or switch to another vendor.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 132
TonyPHX
Guide

Re: Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

I am also a new user of the R9000 but have actually seen an improvement in the wired performance, although minor.  I also nave a 1gbit Internet connection and I believe thus that speeds should be north of 850mbit/sec, and have been.  I would not go back to the 8000 though.  You still have a screaming speed there.  

Hittem with the Hein!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely struggling to maintain 820mbit/sec with this router, and I'm not really willing to give up ~120mbit/sec for the improved feature set of the R9000.

However, I have to suspect this is an issue with the early firmware or something that can be corrected.  I'm starting to wonder whether this could be a QoS issue. The R9000 seems to only have QoS settings in the web interface for WMM. Where are all the other QoS settings? 

Message 3 of 132
TonyPHX
Guide

Right! The 8500 didnt have the full QOS page and probably features until a dew updates of firmware in. Lets face it, we are early adopters. : )
Message 4 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

Bump - anybody else experiencing something similar or any comments from the Netgear team?

Message 5 of 132
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try to reflash the firmware of your router then factory reset? 

Below is the result of my speedtest on R9000 and R8500. I have 100/100 speed from ISP. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I did try that and it did not seem to make a difference.  1gbit WAN to LAN is going to be a totally different animal than 100mbit service. 

Message 7 of 132
short_lurker
Aspirant

No problem here.

Capture.JPG

Message 8 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

Damn. Did you customize any settings to get those speeds? Although there's not really a whole lot to customize in the UI as far as I can tell.

I've got the same setup as you and I'm topping out at 820mbit/sec. Again, connecting direct to modem or swapping in my R8000 I immediately get back to ~940-950mbit.

Message 9 of 132
short_lurker
Aspirant

Nope this is pretty much straight out of the box. Most of the settings I messed with is for WiFi and just some LAN IP reservations. WAN not touched.

Might be crazy if you haven't tried, but try a different LAN port 3 through 6 even if you disabled aggregation.

Message 10 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

That's a great idea actually.  Sadly, I tried another port (LAN port 6) and it didn't seem to make a difference.  I'm at a loss.

Message 11 of 132
short_lurker
Aspirant

What about LAN to LAN throughput. Would it be possible if there's an issue on that side that would cause the slower WAN to LAN?

How about flashing the firmware to "refresh"?

Or just exchange it for a new replacement.

Message 12 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

I'm not sure it's anything on the LAN side. There's only one device connected (my PC) and it seems to get proper speeds when connected to a different router.  I did just try reflashing the firmware again but unfortunately it did not seem to help.

I just hooked up my R8000 and I'm back to 950mbit/sec speeds. I suppose I'm going to stick with this for now.  I wonder if I should try and get a replacement R9000 or just return it?

Message 13 of 132
short_lurker
Aspirant

That's really up to you. Do you find any of the new features useful? Any improvements on the WiFi side? Could the money spent on the router be better used for something else right now?

Message 14 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

Yeah, I don't really need any of the new features. But I do like cool new tech. I suppose I'll open a support case and see where I get.

Message 15 of 132
janthony6
Guide

Gigabit connection here too and LAN performance isn't as good as the r8000 or r8500.
Message 16 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

I've opened a support ticket for this issue and I would encourage you to do the same.  The real question is whether this is a hardware issue with this model or something that can be solved via updated firmware.

Message 17 of 132
short_lurker
Aspirant

It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. There was another thread where the person got a replacement and everything worked fine for them.

Message 18 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat as you - have your problems been addressed/fixed?

This is with the R8000:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5835407255.png

The R9000:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5835458823.png

I've double and triple checked all settings - since I had set up the R8000 myself I knew exactly where to look to make sure I was running optimized settings - to no avail, the router simply refuses to go above 880-890 Mb/s. Plugging the R8000 and everything is hunky dory again - I get a full 950 Mb/s on a regular basis.

Highly disappointing considering the cost of the router - feels like we're beta testing again on our own dime. I set up a ticket but I'm also starting the return process to get my $ back. Not willing to wait too long for a fix...

Message 19 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

No solution to this yet. I am continuing to work with Netgear technical support on the issue. Here's to hoping for a solution sooner rather than later...

Message 20 of 132
Lexist2112
Luminary

Guys,

Have you tried to unplug both the modem and router, wait 15 seconds and then power up the modem, until it settles in, then power up the R9000??

Honestly, I've tested the simple router functions of the R9000, both the wired and wireless functions have been screaming fast. The wired side is about the same as my Asus RT-AC5300, however the wireless side had been a significant improvement on both the 2.4 & 5ghz. Initially, I had disabled WMM and reduced the WiFi speeds. Once I enabled WMM, the speeds were screaming, literally I'm almost getting my proportioned speed per TWC over the WiFi on the 5ghz channel.

As of now WMM and Beamfoming are enabled and are working well together, and playing nice with my wireless clients.

Message 21 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

Yes, I have tried that with no luck.  Are you using a 1gbit Internet connection?  There's quite a difference routing 1gbit WAN to LAN traffic versus most Internet plans (50-300mbit).

Message 22 of 132
Lexist2112
Luminary

Unfortunately, TWC does not offer a 1gig speed to consumer, for busisness class they do and it costs an arm and a leg, the same goes for ATT fiber.

Perhaps. the modem hardware is not playing nice with R9000, although, I can't see that. Either, wait for others to test a 1 gig speed and have the Netgear techs , data log and release a new FW. If you've started a ticket, give them the Service provider and modem your using, to see if they can replicate your speed reduction.

Message 23 of 132
janthony6
Guide

I have att Fiber with 1gb down and 1gb up. I was getting 950 down and up on the r8000. Now I'm getting 800-850 on the r9000. Same settings.
Message 24 of 132
short_lurker
Aspirant

Didn't think about this till now but have you guys tried the other two FW you can get for this router on the support site?

Message 25 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements