Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

uncouth
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

After troubleshooting I have been sent a new router. It should be here by Friday so I'll update the thread then.

Message 26 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

How are you all measuring wired LAN performance?

How are you ensuring that the bottleneck isn't a storage device on either end? or switches inbetween?

Orbi RBK50v2 ver 2.7.2.104
Love my Orbi (with this firmware version).
Message 27 of 132
Lexist2112
Luminary

I have asymetrical ATT fiber here at my office, and I'm using the ArrisNVG 595 modem. Surprisingly, it was easy to put the modem in "pass-thru " mode and doesn't casue any issues. ATT typically updates new FW on their end. You may want to see what your current modem  FW , and call ATT to see if there any other FW updates for your modem.

Message 28 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

Received the replacement today - same issue. Likely has to be fixed with a firmware update. 

My R8000 works just fine - no speed drops - steady 950.

Connected the R9000 - drops to 860.

Connect R8000 back up - back to 950.

I tried all the different firmware, I tried different cables just to tick that box off -it's simply slower than the R8000.

In my area, Comcast gigabit service comes with the R8000 - the technician actually brings it with him. I already had my own R8000 so I didn't need theirs, but it makes me think that that's the router Comcast has tested and approved. Not sure why the R9000 wouldn't work as well.

Anyways, everything else has been tested on my end - it's either something between the router and the modem/comcast - or something within the firmware itself. 

Message 29 of 132
checktravis
Aspirant

My speed is ok, a little less that the 300 im paying for, 

2016-12-01 (1).png

i might be calling about that but i'm more annoyed by the stability. I can download faster than ever, and stream 4k content to some devices, but Hulu never can continue on to the next video, always get a network error. netflix is better, but sometimes it 25% and i have to restart the tv.

same for web browsing, i have to toggle wifi sometimes to get sites to load. i've tried my isp's dns and google's. also tried bridging the modem, when i finally got that working it helped a bit with the speed but not with the stability

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 30 of 132
Lexist2112
Luminary

Have you tried a different modem other than the Comcast provisioned modem???

Either try a new modem from comcast or see which ones are supported and buy that one and retest.

I bought a Motorola modem outright and upfront, just so that I wouldn't have a recurring lease charge. Hopefully, you'll find the root cause.

Message 31 of 132
Bababooey
Guide

Unfortunately, in this case that's simply not possible at this time.  Comcast gigabit service is delivered via DOCSIS 3.1 and there are no retail modems that support that standard at this time.  This will likely change over time, but any user of Comcast gigabit service must used the Comcast provided TC4400 modem at this time.

A few quirks aside, the modem seems quite stable (other than I have to reset it every time I switch routers, it doesn't seem to release and serve up new DHCP leases) and it works like a charm with the R8000.

Message 32 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

Bababooey is correct - this is the only modem we can currently use and it works perfectly well with the R8000.

I heard back from Netgear today that they have heard from other users with the same issue - that it's being investigated now and SHOULD be fixed with a firmware update.

For now we wait...

Message 33 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

Still no word from Netgear... Extremely disappointing support of their flagship product. 

Message 34 of 132
mondenath
Prodigy

Hi It seems the speedtest could not give consistent speed.

Did you try the speed test from different site.

As it is not same. As it keeps switching server when ever you connect a different IP as if you are new connection test.

So being able to get good speed or rated speed on old AC series.

Let issolate by using dslreport site to see is that max speed.

Then give it a try to download a ISO image from microsoft or good tube videos to see if the speed is actually improved than speedtest.

As most time the speedtest is not reliable as doing same test will give you some deviation of drop or improvement.

So gohead and test 2-3 times on dslreport test and do get the huge file download from CDN based sites like youtube or microsoft ISO

Keep it posted based on the actual results.

Message 35 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

The speedtest.net result is used for reference. The router has been tested in a multitude of ways across multiple servers, protocols, and locations. Netgear has already acknowledged that their engineers are working on this problem, so they are aware of it and have multiple reports to rely on.

The R9000 is anywhere between 100-300 MBps slower than its predecessor on every test performed. Every test.

Please keep your replies relevant to the known information. The issue exists, it's the fix that's in question.
Message 36 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

I just upgraded to the new firmware 1.0.1.36 - though after reading the release notes I did so without much hope of a fix. As expected, the speed issue on a Gigabit connection persists. After multiple tests the averages are: Netgear R8000: 946.30 / Netgear R9000: 851.62 - Outside of poor firmware/feature implementation there is little reason for this discrepancy to exist. Been in contact with support team and my case has been escalated yet again - will update once more is known.

Message 37 of 132
checktravis
Aspirant

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for keeping this thread up to date with your experiences. I am on my second modem (same model) from the ISP, but today i ordered this

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016PE1X5K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also hoped that the update would help, even though the release note wasn't very encouraging. 

im so frustrated with the flaky connection that i've switched it to AP until the new modem comes in.

Message 38 of 132
Dbrack81
Aspirant

IMG_7341.JPG

These are my current speeds over LAN wired to the X10.  If you have not done a couple of the following already, they are worth a shot to improve your wired speed.

1) Hardwire into your MODEM (not your X10) and turn off the wifi signal if it has one.  That can slow/stall your speed.

2) Make sure your X10 is the only Ethernet cable you have running from your modem.

3) If these don't improve you LAN speed, just run your LAN lines from you modem instead of the X10 if you can.  In my case, I have At&T Gigabit service and there are 4 Ethernet ports available.  Just make sure you are only running Ethernet off of only the modem, or only your x10 router, not both.

Hope this helps!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 39 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

This issue seems to mostly be affecting Comcast customers. Probably something between the modem Comcast uses and the router. Again, I keep going back to my X6 which works flawlessly. I actually picked up a second R8000 today to test and it works fine. So I have two X6 (R8000) routers working perfectly, and the X10 (R9000) which does not.

Message 40 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of food for thought items:

1. Besure to change servers when using speedtest.net. Some near by servers may be more busy at the time of testing. Try a different near by server and a farther away server. My local city near by server does ok, however I get better results by using a server one state away. It's in a rural part of the state so less traffic on it.

2. Time of day can impact speed results. I try to test mid morning, mid after noon or latenite. Right after work when everyone is coming home from work and getting online maybe a cause of seeing bad results.

3. Try using your ISP speed test site if they support there own. Sometimes ISP have there own speed test site.

4. Be aware that anyone with ISP modems with Puma 6 chip sets inside may see issues that are caused by these modems with the Intel Puma 6 chip set in side.

SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion and

ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake

Intel Puma 7 and Broadcom based modems don't seem to exhibit this issue.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 41 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

Not giving up on this. Spent over an hour on the phone today and they linked my case to another case that had been escalated to engineering with a customer experiencing the same issue. Netgear engineering IS aware of this problem and is working on a solution.

Nothing to do with provider or modem - it's an issue with the R9000 itself - I was assured that a fix was forthcoming.

We'll see what happens next - I supplied all sorts of attachments with my case and was told it would be checked out within 2-3 days.

Message 42 of 132
Tomcat2048
Aspirant

Any update on this? I have the exact same problem with my X10 and I also just got Comcast Docsis 3.1 Gigabit. Did Netgear ever get back to you and did they offer a fix? I feel like not everyone is having this problem but I'm having the exact same issue you are.
Message 43 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

What Mfr and model # modem are you using?

What ISP Speed UP and Down do you pay for?

How do you have your network configuration set up?

Do you get at spec speeds with a direct connection to the ISP modem? LAN wired testing?

Hows is the router configured?

Please review:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/1Gbps-Fiber-Speed-450Mbps-MAX-from-X8/td-p/1...

@Tomcat2048 wrote:
Any update on this? I have the exact same problem with my X10 and I also just got Comcast Docsis 3.1 Gigabit. Did Netgear ever get back to you and did they offer a fix? I feel like not everyone is having this problem but I'm having the exact same issue you are.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 44 of 132
uncouth
Aspirant

I did give up. Netgear went over all of my logs, etc but never came up with a solution. They kept saying it was under review and technicians were actively working on a solution. They also said they had a number of reports of this issue and even connected my report with others but never got back to me with a solution.

Once my 30 day return window was closing I sent the router back and went back to my old Netgear which works fine.

Keep in mind I tried two different X10's because the initial rep said it was hardware issue. The technicians and tier 2 reps all agreed it was firmware, and yet the problem persists until now.

Good luck, please update the thread if a fix is ever implemented.
Message 45 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

AH ok. Did you try a different Mfr router or just using what the ISP has given to you?

Message 46 of 132
Tomcat2048
Aspirant

@FURRYNUTZ wrote:

What Mfr and model # modem are you using?

What ISP Speed UP and Down do you pay for?

How do you have your network configuration set up?

Do you get at spec speeds with a direct connection to the ISP modem? LAN wired testing?

Hows is the router configured?

Please review:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/1Gbps-Fiber-Speed-450Mbps-MAX-from-X8/td-p/1...

@Tomcat2048 wrote:

I'm using the Comcast provided Technicolor TC4400 modem (unfortunately this is the only option at this time since they require that modem). I'm paying for 1Gbps down, 35Mbps up. I have no issues with upstream speed. 

My network is setup very simply, have my cable modem directly hooked up via Cat5e to my R9000 WAN port. Then I have another Cat5e cable hooked up from a LAN port on the router to my PC.

When hooking up directly to the modem and bypassing the router I do indeed get at spec speeds (around 940mbps). When going through the router, I top out at around 860Mbps...so this is clearly an issue with the router.

I am not in my 30 day return window anymore either so returning it isn't an option as I bought this router when it first launched in November. I've had no other issues with it.

Message 47 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Well your getting slower to 900Mb than the others with 450Mb.

NG will need to review all of this. 1Gb ISP speeds are fairly new and there is some talk here regarding routers supporting 1Gb or at least getting to 900Mb on the WAN port speeds when testing. Many factors are at play now when it comes to 1Gb ISP speeds and routers.

I would get in to CAT6 for best LAN cable performances at some point.

I would keep in contact with NG support as this seems to be an emerging issue with 1Gb ISPs and these routers.

Message 48 of 132
Tomcat2048
Aspirant

The craziest thing is that this issue doesn't seem to exist on the R8000 (X6) which is actually the router that Comcast provided. Luckily I had them leave that router with me so I was able to test. So this has to absolutely be an issue with the X10 LAN or WAN port(s). If any Netgear mods can review this problem that would be helpful as well.

Message 49 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

So your seeing 900Mb with the X6 installed? Interesting that the other poster in that link doesn't with his X6.

I would get in more directly contact with NG support and reference this forum thread and the other thread as well. I agree, this needs some attention. I presume as 1Gb ISP speeds besome more prominent, users will want to see the speeds they are paying for thru there routers. Smiley Wink

Message 50 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements