Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

Redtulips7
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

I am using Router Firmware Version V1.0.2.32OCLA Speedtest 02.jpgOKLA Speed Test 01.06.2018.jpg

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 101 of 132
Redtulips7
Apprentice

Speedtest 03.jpg

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 102 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried using Voxel's OpenRouter NG FW for the R9000? 

Just curious.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 103 of 132
BUFFBOY
Aspirant

Hi,

Has this been fixed with the latest firmware update ?

Im planning to buy this router.

thanks

------------------------
Router: R9000
Switch: JetStream T2600G Managed Switch
Message 104 of 132
noybman
Star

The simple answer is no. I strongly believe it's more hardware than anything else.

This is what happens when you take a cell phone based processor that's 6+ generations removed from the current releases and expect to perform packet control with every packet inbound and outbound not to mention decrypt and encrypt packets for wireless for not only 1 client, but 2 or 3 or more, etc.

If you turn off every feature the router has, you can get stable 75% speed or so near all time.

Netgear and all other manufactures out there need to start putting $200-500 of hardware into their devices if they are going to continue charging so much for devices they advertise as gigabit speed since the world is on the cusp of gigabit end to end otherwise people will spend that 500 on a dedicated computer running a true Pentium class processor and extra nics worth 500$ which can actually do gigabit.

People are wising up to the blatant misadvertising
Message 105 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

Im having the same issue, poor WIFI and very poor wired connection. I am running a Surboard 8200 as a cable modem with Xfinity 1GB internet connection.  The speed fluctuates, the best I have got was 100MB from the X10.  My main PC which is directly into the cable modem gets almost 1GB download speeds.

I had issues getting the X10 to be assigned an IP, the only way I managed to get it to work was to have it use the same MAC address of my main PC, not sure if that would cause any issues?

I called Netgear today.  Pretty much usless. Asked me to change the MTU and the WIFI channels and then call back in 24 hours.

Message 106 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a factory reset on the router, this time, do not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls. Do a wired speed test thru your wire connected PC and a browser. Disconnect ALL other devices from the router accept for the wired PC while speed testing.

Wireless speeds should max out at around 400-600Mb depending upon HW support and design. WIreless will not see 900Mb. Wired should see near this or 900Mb. 

@ShaggyRS6 wrote:

Im having the same issue, poor WIFI and very poor wired connection. I am running a Surboard 8200 as a cable modem with Xfinity 1GB internet connection.  The speed fluctuates, the best I have got was 100MB from the X10.  My main PC which is directly into the cable modem gets almost 1GB download speeds.

I had issues getting the X10 to be assigned an IP, the only way I managed to get it to work was to have it use the same MAC address of my main PC, not sure if that would cause any issues?

I called Netgear today.  Pretty much usless. Asked me to change the MTU and the WIFI channels and then call back in 24 hours.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 107 of 132
schumaku
Guru

@ShaggyRS6 wrote:

Unless you operate the PC and the X10 at the same time - no. Otherwise ... for sure.

The problem with the MAC is not the X10, it's the fact that the ISP allow only one (or very few) MAC addresses on a cable Modem. You might want to restart everything from scratch, remove the manually added MAC address from the X10 config, reboot the cable modem (to forget the previously connected PC MAC address).

Message 108 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, none of those options were ever enabled as part of the setup and I have since reset the router.

Message 109 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

Yes they are being operated at the same time, but this is the only way I could get it to have an assigned IP address. Would it be worth calling the ISP and having them add the MAC address of the X10?

Message 110 of 132
noybman
Star

If I tell my phone Central office to assign phone number 1234 to me, and someone else says to assign 1234 to them, and then 5678 calls 1234, who answers?
You cannot use the same MAC address on two different devices both plugged into a parent device for reasons very very similar to the silly example I just made.
It sounds to me like you may have the wrong options selected in your X10 and what you've done is masked the issue.
For ease of resolving your problem, reset the configuration of the X10 to default, remove power from modem, X10, and PC, all at the same time and leave power disconnected.
Then power on modem, c with cable, no Ethernet. Then connect only the x10 via Ethernet to the modem. Turn it on. Then connect the computer to the x10 via Ethernet, and follow the x10 setup guide.

Don't play with hardware addresses, leave that alone. Advice to play with those is out dated, irrelevant, and confusing you.
Your cable x company shouldn't care what your Mac address is connected to your modern but feel free to confirm that with them
Message 111 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

This was good advice.  I did this and whammo.  Internet! Thanks! Now we move onto the next issue. I had Xfinity come out and they enabled the GIG service fully.  The next issue is when he has his laptop plugged into the X10 it gets a GIG, well almost.  I can only get as high as about 550 on my PC.  So something must be going on with the PC somewhere.  Any advice on that would be great.

I have ESET home secutiy installed.  Could be that?  Although I disabled it and still had the same issue.  I cant think of anything else.  We have relcated from an area that had Verizon FIOS, and I had no issues with that, although I was plugged directly into the cable modem.  I am thinking it must be something that the X10 does not like about my PC.

Message 112 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the CPU speed and core of your PC? 

One thing I noticed on my 1Gb service, two of my PCs I use are only dual core and never see much over 200-300Mb. While my Mac Mini quad core does and sees around 800-900Mb speed testing wired. CPU maybe playing appart in this. 

Yes try disabling any security software and browser plug-ins? Try different browser as well to be sure. 

Clear all browser caches. 

@ShaggyRS6 wrote:

This was good advice.  I did this and whammo.  Internet! Thanks! Now we move onto the next issue. I had Xfinity come out and they enabled the GIG service fully.  The next issue is when he has his laptop plugged into the X10 it gets a GIG, well almost.  I can only get as high as about 550 on my PC.  So something must be going on with the PC somewhere.  Any advice on that would be great.

I have ESET home secutiy installed.  Could be that?  Although I disabled it and still had the same issue.  I cant think of anything else.  We have relcated from an area that had Verizon FIOS, and I had no issues with that, although I was plugged directly into the cable modem.  I am thinking it must be something that the X10 does not like about my PC.

Message 113 of 132
noybman
Star

In your earlier posts, you seemed to indicate your PC worked near gig speed when plugged directly into the modem. I'd expect that. Netgear won't tell you that you cannot get near gig speeds on their X10, but honestly, persistently, you cannot.
An earlier post discussed turning off logging, qos, etc, all of the advanced performance features must be OFF in order for it to work near gig speed. Also, the more clients you have, the slower it gets. Realize that Netgear is using less than the latest cell phone CPU in these boxes, and then you'll understand why reaching true gigabit speeds while using Mac filtering, qos, logging, etc becomes unrealistic.
Netgear isn't the only one doing this, many if not all consumer grade routers suffer from this. You just have to tweak and tune to your liking (or buy your own router), if you want consistent 900+ up and down simultaneously.
Message 114 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

This does not explain though why the xFinity engineer plugged his own Macbook in and got twice the speed I am getting!  I took my PC out of the Cable modem and plugged it in the X10.  I think thats what you said to do.

Message 115 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

FYI - PC Processor speed is Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Message 116 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be good here. Try different browsers as well.

@ShaggyRS6 wrote:

@FYI - PC Processor speed is Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Message 117 of 132
noybman
Star

It does, and it doesn't. Re-read what I suggested. If you reboot the X10 with a MacBook and get 934\934, great. Now, reboot everything (I. E. The X10), and try with your laptop. Do this loop 5+ times. I suspect your results will be inconsistent. Why? Well, for 1, the consumer grade routers are not $5000 Cisco work horse devices.

I digress tho, of course your laptop can also be part of the problem. However, didn't you indicate the laptop was great when connected directly to the modem, and it was consistent? If this is true, then once again the common element is the budget built X10.

This is why I suggest you truly try the rest I listed above 5 or more times. Realize using his laptop, then yours, is at least two devices on the X10, even if not at the same time. You haven't confirmed that you disabled the features previously advised you disable. Thus they***will*** have an impact on performance, as will connecting 2, 3, 4 devices.

To truly isolate your performance issues, piece by piece, part by part, you have to repeat the exact same test the exact same way multiple times to keep everything "fair" and narrow down any issues. Do one change at a time, test it for a while, etc etc.
Message 118 of 132
myersw
Master

Has anyone looked to see when this thread started? 11/12/2016. Same problem for 2 years? What kind of crap is that? Netgear either needs to fix this or refund the price to the poor folks that were suckered into buying the r9000. Will be along time before there is any Netgear on my network due to things like this. Sold a r8000 and r8000p as it was apparent that Netgear was never going to release a good firmware for these. It would appear the same applies to the r9000. The cpu in the r9000 should certainly be able to handle a 1 gig connection so there is something very basic with the firmware not under performing. 

IMHO Netgear should fire the current engineers, since it is obvious that they do not have a clue on how to fix firmware issues. Especially issues like this. They have also been floundering with the Windows SMB support since March of this year, which is 7 months. NG = No Good. DD-WRT has a build this this router. Wonder if it works any better. They are on my do not buy or recommend list.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 119 of 132
schumaku
Guru

@myersw wrote:

The cpu in the r9000 should certainly be able to handle a 1 gig connection so there is something very basic with the firmware not under performing.

Almost. Things vary widely depending on the protocol and packet size. Yes: A plain Linux with iptables and SAMBA on the very same processor does perform massively better than this junk Netgear does provide.  

@myersw wrote:

IMHO Netgear should fire the current engineers, since it is obvious that they do not have a clue on how to fix firmware issues. Especially issues like this.

Can't get rid of the impression the engineers which understood the Netgear (or say this ODM router platform) are for years no longer around.

@myersw wrote:

They have also been floundering with the Windows SMB support since March of this year, which is 7 months.

Once upon a time there were some updates which were allowing to access also from Windows 10, permitting we have the SMB 1.0/CIFS server and client - for the NetBIOS name resolution in place. For a while, I can't access the shared folders - even on scratch formatted NTFS or even ext3 (a native OS supported file system) - on several different USB storage devices. It behaves like the admin/password thingie is not accepted.

What concerns me more? It appears the Netgear management does not care what is going on here with these products. Promised early update access was delayed for months, and since this became available finally it's s(t)uck. Instead of communication and daily or weekly updates - silence. 

AR8/AR12 and the XR500/700 seem to have slightly higher priority, however there is a backlog of a feature set promised for almost one year, too.

Message 120 of 132
myersw
Master

@schumaku

your quote. Can't get rid of the impression the engineers which understood the Netgear (or say this ODM router platform) are for years no longer around.

It is my understanding that they are off shore of the US. I have been very suspicious that they went cheap to some outfit that sure we can do that and no one from Netgear checked them out. In any case I am totally agree that the experienced engineers do not seem to be around or issues like this one would not drag on as long as they do.  

On a private note, Love the dog pics you post. What beautiful animals. Smiley Wink

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 121 of 132
schumaku
Guru

@myersw wrote:

On a private note, Love the dog pics you post. What beautiful animals. Smiley Wink

Thank you Bill! We have been out for work today 8-) 

IMG_20181116_144434_1024.png

Message 122 of 132
myersw
Master

@schumaku

Smiley Wink They look like they have been working really hard. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 123 of 132
mlprice
Initiate

I have gigabit Internet from Spectrum (Formerly Time Warner). I was using an old Apple Airport as the main router on my network, and was easily getting the quoted 940Mb/s when doing speed test on any wired device, even those wired through a cheap unmanaged switch. Last week the Airport died. Apple no longer supports the Airport and is no longer making them. A moment of silence please for the device that ushered in the age of WiFi.

Anyway, I thought I'd try out a new fangled mesh network. I tried the Linksys Vellop since Apple is selling those in their online store. 

I immediately experienced a problem that you will find familiar. The Linksys Router could not deliver my WIRED gigabit Internet speed, instead offering only about 650Mb/s. I tested connecting my MacBook Pro directly to the modem and got the full 940Mb/s no problem. Just as it had been under the ancient Apple Airport Extreme. 

I checked around and just like with the R9000 X10 AD7200, it's a known issue. Their work around is to use some other router and their equipment as just Access Points. Right. After a couple of hours of research, everything pointed to this NetGear beast of a router as a solution to all my problems. A $400 solution, but a solution nonetheless.

After installing it, I have the same problem. I get to around 750Mb/s Wired. And of course if I connect directly, I get the full 940Mb/s.  

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. After the whole sexy unboxing experience, I expected God's gift to routers. 

So I started researching the problem here online to find out that it's been REPORTED SINCE BACK IN 2016 AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT IT?  The box should have a big red sticker that says, "WARNING! IN ALL LIKELYHOOD THIS ROUTER WILL NOT COMPLETELY SUPPORT GIGABIT INTERNET SPEEDS." 

Well I'm about to box it back up, return it, write a review on Amazon and a couple of other places warning people, and find me a new Airport somwhere on Ebay or something. 

Message 124 of 132
noybman
Star

I'm stunned that you report you received gigabit speed wired on your airport. Google it and you will see plenty of people say the opposite. (They can't get gigabit). I suspect if your tests were persistent you might have seen significant lows and highs. In a dumb switch configuration especially with only 1 device, you can get good signal.
Morale, at 50$ or 500$ these products are low performing products.
Just build your own
Message 125 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements