Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk R9000 (X10) Poor Wired Performance

That is a nice thought about build your own, but that would be over the heads of most folks on these forums. 

Other option is do like I did that that next step up and go with Ubiquiti solution. Cost me about $450, by watching Ebay and other sales. Unlike the Netgears I had this solution just works. I forget I even have a wireless network. AP's are not limited to 32 devices either, spec is 200 devices. Not for most folks on this forum is my guess due to setting it up, but then neither is the build your own. Before someone asks what I have look at my sig. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 126 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

Yep, I am going to return mine also. I plug my PC directly into the cable modem and BAM. A Stable 940MB - Plug into the router, Up and down like a YoYo with a an average of 350 - 450 MB.

Unnaceptable. Even more so as they stick a nice XFinity compatability sticker on it!.

Message 127 of 132
noybman
Star

This is a Netgear thread, and I do like Netgear equipment compared to some competition, but I digress as I am fully aware that Netgear markets falsely. They aren't the only one, but no excuse.
I no longer recommend their equipment for any serious buyer with speed and consistency as a requirement.
Netgear, I know you can do it, and you've soaked a lot of cash from people to have the capital to deliver. Please deliver on your next model and win back your customer loyalty or your profits will continue to decline.
I do not recommend anyone plug directly into the modem, ever. Physical security separation is worth it's weight in gold, perhaps even over speed. But if consistent speed is a contender (and it should be), continue to shop, educate, and save $
Message 128 of 132
myersw
Master

@noybman

I am with you. Netgear has always been my go vender because they work. Unfortunetely I can no longer say that after a r8000 and r8000p with on going firmware issues with no stable firmware in site, Sold both. 

I can no longer recommend Netgear. Used to think the hardware was solid, but with folks having Ethernet switch port issues it would seem that has been cheapened as well. Firmware support feels like they farmed that out to some 3rd party off shore outfit.

It is a real shame to see a good company go down hill like this.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 129 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

So I RMA'd it tonight.  Took 3 hours in total.  The best question of the evening from a so called "Expert" They asked me what cables I had used. I said CAT 5, Cat 5E, CAT6 - She said, can you try a CAT 1 cable.  I ltterally laughed at her and asked if she was serious.  She then hung up!  Smiley Happy

Message 130 of 132
myersw
Master

@ShaggyRS6 wrote:

So I RMA'd it tonight.  Took 3 hours in total.  The best question of the evening from a so called "Expert" They asked me what cables I had used. I said CAT 5, Cat 5E, CAT6 - She said, can you try a CAT 1 cable.  I ltterally laughed at her and asked if she was serious.  She then hung up!  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the laugh.  Cat Happy

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 131 of 132
ShaggyRS6
Aspirant

It’s actually embarrassing talking to these people. Netgear decided to offshore this support work and its a very obviously not working. There is about a 5% chance that you get someone that values their job enough to actually help you when you call support.  All their questions and answers are scripted, its actually pretty funny.  God knows how someone who is not technically minded gets help with these people.  It’s the same with Xfinity, they offshore their support and you get the same sort of service.

Offshoring used to work, but there are now so many jobs available in places like India and the Philippines, Vietnam etc that they don’t have to give a damn.  They just walk into another job if they get fired or want a dollar more.

The people who should be held accountable are the onshore managers who they report into.  But finding one of them is like trying to sleep with the pope! 

Message 132 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements