Nighthawk R9000 X10 USB hanging?

N15M0
Guide

Nighthawk R9000 X10 USB hanging?

Hi all,

Had my X10 a week or so. I've twice experience an issue where the 4TB Seagate drive I have attached to it for backup/Plex seems to stop responding.

This results in connectivity to the internet/network still working perfectly fine, but I am unable to access the USB drive via Windows, browse my Plex library or get any information when I log into the router dashboard. It lets me log in, but then loads a blank page with no information.

Not sure if this is directly USB related or a more general firmware bug?

Only way to resolve is to power cycle the router.

95% of the time everything is perfect, it's just something that seems to be happening every few days.

Message 1 of 10
N15M0
Guide

Re: Nighthawk R9000 X10 USB hanging?

Hmmm...maybe this is the same issue (different) router that has also manifested itself in the X10 firmware?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/USB-Hard-Drive-connection-issues/m-p/1001946...

Message 2 of 10
Adewale
Luminary

are you on the latest firmware version and PMS on the R9000? i had the same wierd issues with the Plex and R9000 and after sometime and updates to the firmware and plex, things settled down

i'd say give it a few more days

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 10
N15M0
Guide

Router is on V1.0.1.36.

Plex is 1.3.3.3148-b38628e  Dec 15, 2016.

Looking around the forums, USB3 problems with Netgear routers just seems to be a thing. It's odd though that it also makes the routerlogin page stop working.

Message 4 of 10
Adewale
Luminary

currently, the only issue i have with the USB on the r9000 is around copying files to them through readycloud and other network means...the copy is so slow that it fails to copy. if i need to copy videos to the drives, i have to eject and connect them directly to a PC which is annoying

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@N15M0 How about if you use a different USB drive, will experience the same problem?

As a suggestion, log a case with support. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 10
N15M0
Guide

The drive is fine, and judging by the amout of USB 3 related issues with various Netgear routers, I doubt changing it would make any difference.

Besides the fact, I dont have another drive to test.

The 4TB I am using was brand new out of the box.

Message 7 of 10
N15M0
Guide

So this happened again yesterday, same symptoms as above. Loss of access to the USB drive, and when logging into the router dashboard you just get a blank page. Connectivity still remains though. This is the 3rd time since I have had the router in the last 2-3 weeks.

I decided to leave it overnight to see if it might sort itself out, however come morning I has lost internet access as well and when logging in to the router I now got the following message:

"failed to fork child: cannot allocate memory"

Again a hard power off/on sorted it. The annoying thing though is that when you do this is clears the logs so I cant see if anything happened!

Any news on any new firmware coming soon?

Message 8 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We may have a firmware to be released soon but I am not sure if it will fix the issue that you are having. 

As long as there's no submitted case on this then there's no way that our engineering team would know that they needed to fix something. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 10
N15M0
Guide

I have created a support ticket.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos