Nighthawk R9000 new FW

Rjrolyn
Aspirant

Nighthawk R9000 new FW

Did some updates in the router and noticed a new FW is available (Screenshot) tried searching the release notes and see what was available on the new FW, none to be found. So i contacted tech support and tech support is not even aware of new FW, hmm. All was said was release notes is available within 1 to 2 months. Has anyone dl'd new FW 1.0.3.16 if so what improvements. TIA
Message 1 of 27
kmslayer
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R9000 new FW

yeah I just did a refresh and saw the update but not patch notes

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 27
schumaku
Guru

The most obvious updates are the enhanced OpenVPN certificate generation (creating SHA256 signed certs), and the update of dnsmasq to v2.78 (addressing CVE-2017-14491CVE-2017-14492, CVE-2017-14493, CVE-2017-14494CVE-2017-14495CVE-2017-14496, and CVE-2017-13704 publicly disclosed on Monday, October 2nd, 2017).

Message 3 of 27
xnsys
Luminary

Considering that this has been installed on my device for a few weeks now as a beta, so disappointed that there are still the bugs present that I reported weeks ago...

Obviously Netgear are unable to write firmware without bugs - if they cannot fix simple bugs, how reliable is the code regarding security vulnerabilities?

Although the WiFi radios aren't crashing any more, I'm still experiencing the issues with connecting back to the device after sleep - and I know exactly what's causing it, as do Netgear - but they won't fix it.

Time for the R9000 to meet Mr. Sledgehammer...

Message 4 of 27
xnsys
Luminary

Wonder which country I'm going to be in tomorrow?  And what WiFi regulations that will be imposed on me causing me not to be able to connect.

piece of crap...

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 5.13.54 PM.png

What should it be?

Well, this is where I live and my region...

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 5.44.42 PM.png

So why would they be broadcasting a country code of FRANCE?....

Problem is that they haven't made the device authoritative - this means that it will use the country code of X3, and a device will listen and latch onto the country code of the closest router which is broadcasting a country code, meaning that if like me you have poorly configured routers in the vicinity, you end up picking up the wrong country code, and therefore being forced to that country code, an issue if you live in the US and use channels 149+, which aren't allowed in the UK - some devices won't connect.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 5.47.53 PM.png

Message 5 of 27
schumaku
Guru

All the country codes are obsolete - since the FCC technically banned 802.11d in the US starting from January 2015. Silly but true - the FCC, not the obsoleted standard. They live on a small planet, expecting that each wireless STA is hard coded to allow the usage of the permitted channels only - to the region where it's sold. No vendor does that AFAIK. If macOS does make use of the country code to distinguish the allowed channels they would break the FCC regulations and something is wrong then, too. And people _are_ travelling with their mobile devices all over the world (granted, iOS and Android is pretty smart when it comes to figuring to the effective location), and not just few people are moving between different wireless legislation, too.

Message 6 of 27
xnsys
Luminary

I thought it was that devices after 2015 were not to just rely on 802.11d for setting the WiFi parameters.

https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=5NjjaXsjV97%2BhlMWvZ1QRw%3D%3D&desc=594280%20D01%20Co...

The scenario I'm in is that my device will connect after a reboot, every time all the time - it's after the Netgear has sent across a funny country code, and then when it connects after sleep it will not see the US specific channels.

It doesn't get the wrong country code to start with, more like after being connected for a while.

If I change the channel to one that is supported in Europe, where it seems to want to switch to, then it connects every time.

I don't experience this problem with the Apple airport extreme, or the Cisco 3802i with 802.11d set.

This is a step by step account of what happens.

1. Connect to Netgear after initial reboot / startup - connects fine, and doesn't report a country code.

2. If at this point the MBPr is put to sleep and woken later, then it connects fine.

3. Somewhere along the line, the Netgear starts broadcasting a country code matching the closest poorly configured router.

4. The mac picks up on this country code.

5. Put the mac to sleep.

6. Wake the mac and it won't connect to channels outside Europe if it's latched onto FR or GB country code - if it latches onto US then it will connect after sleep.

Message 7 of 27
schumaku
Guru

In my opinion - and following recent APs from the pro market - there should be no country code provided. Simply to avoid potential misunderstandings, as you showed here.

Message 8 of 27
Rjrolyn
Aspirant

Funny how idiots hi-jack your thread (Post) lol
Message 9 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@Rjrolyn wrote:
Funny how idiots hi-jack your thread (Post) lol

At least one idiot who has provided you with some information on what was updated/enhanced as per your request. And another community member pointing out some ongoing stuff. Both of us have 1.0.3.16 up for several weeks as you can imagine. 

Message 10 of 27
schumaku
Guru

More off topic posts? Tsk tsk tsk.
Message 11 of 27
xnsys
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

In my opinion - and following recent APs from the pro market - there should be no country code provided. Simply to avoid potential misunderstandings, as you showed here.

In an ideal world that would be great, there's no reason for the country code anymore, and probably why the FCC have advised end user devices to not solely rely on it when determining the functionality allowed - but with so many people moving and bringing their equipment with them, or even buying devices at a bargain price from eBay, the country code issue will be prevalent amongst areas where people live in close proximity, such as in apartments.

@I was rather hoping that after advising Netgear of the situation, that they would have added a line of code into the firmware to broadcast the country code properly, sadly this hasn't been fixed in 1.0.3.16 - or is it fixed in the majority of Netgear routers that I've had the pleasure of testing - yes @Case850, this does include your beloved R7800

@Case850 - The complaints that are specific to the R9000 that I had are all resolved, the complaints that are present on all other netgear devices including the R9000 are still ongoing, and wouldn't make any difference to which device I, or anybody else switched to.

This firmware certainly seems to have fixed the WiFi disconnect issue, where the radio was crashing - just not the reconnection where devices are waking up from sleep - it's not only effecting the MBPr, but also a IBM Lenovo and Dell Latitude laptop - all show the same issues.

@Rjrolyn - Not off topic at all, the thread is discussing the firmware 1.0.3.16, and both Schumaku and I have been testing this for the past 4-6 weeks - so both of us are in a good place to be able to document our findings.

Personally, my findings are that 1.0.3.16 is certainly a step in the right direction, and far more reliable than anything else I've seen - just a couple of last niggling little things that need rectifying - I would recommend the upgrade, but also recommend that you reset to 100% factory defaults with this one as it does introduce some new functions accessible during initial configuration, namely the 10GbE SFP+ port as WAN.

Message 12 of 27
xnsys
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@xnsys

You failed to mention you run the R9000 in AP mode and it still doesn't work.

Bottom line is very little on the R9000 works.

It's working fine for me now with 1.0.3.16 - and has been for over 3 weeks of uptime - longest I've ever gone without a reboot!  And only reason I did was because I had to relocate it.

Message 13 of 27
xnsys
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@xnsys

>>> I was rather hoping that after advising Netgear of the situation, that they would have added a line of code into the firmware to broadcast the country code properly, sadly this hasn't been fixed in 1.0.3.16 - or is it fixed in the majority of Netgear routers that I've had the pleasure of testing - yes @Case850, this does include your beloved R7800

No such problem with the my D7800 V1.0.1.34 Country code AUS on MBP running High Sierra. Unlike the R9000, the D7800 and R7800 are all Qualcomm hence no issues with CPU and driver integration.

Can you get me a screenshot please as this is interesting - I can then put this to the Netgear techs - as the R7800 I've tested didn't have 802.11d US code - so could be a country thing - and one that they need to resolve!

If you could also get me an iStumbler screenshot - masking the sensitive stuff - that would give me an indication as to what's around you and if you have any badly configured APs like I do here, which seems to be the issue - namely non indigenous APs broadcast incorrect 802.11d for their current location.

Message 14 of 27
kaiatkins
Guide

anyone have into how to setup with sfp WAN?

Message 15 of 27
schumaku
Guru

SFP+ WAN is not available yet AFAIK
Message 16 of 27
kaiatkins
Guide

I figured it out Smiley Happy with latest firmware you have to do factory reset and you will see the option to setup!

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 4.31.06 PM.png

Message 17 of 27
xnsys
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

@xnsys

>>> I was rather hoping that after advising Netgear of the situation, that they would have added a line of code into the firmware to broadcast the country code properly, sadly this hasn't been fixed in 1.0.3.16 - or is it fixed in the majority of Netgear routers that I've had the pleasure of testing - yes @Case850, this does include your beloved R7800

No such problem with the my D7800 V1.0.1.34 Country code AUS on MBP running High Sierra. Unlike the R9000, the D7800 and R7800 are all Qualcomm hence no issues with CPU and driver integration.

As above, can you get me a screenshot please?

Message 18 of 27
Conk
Aspirant

I installed it about a week ago.  Hoped it would mean that QoS would work.  Nope, no difference.  If I turn it on, the router reboots once or twice a day for no discernible reason.  Otherwise, I could tell no difference in performance at all. Router works fine if I don't use the features I paid for.

Message 19 of 27
KristinaS
Apprentice

Message 20 of 27
Davidoo
Apprentice

I'm using it. I always use Voxel's. The device naming feature works better and I seem to get higher signal levels.
Message 21 of 27
KristinaS
Apprentice

@Davidoo wrote:
I'm using it. I always use Voxel's. The device naming feature works better and I seem to get higher signal levels.

thank you for reply. i use his version too. the question was has it sense to upgrade to newer version. 12hf is pretty stable.

Message 22 of 27
Davidoo
Apprentice

I haven't noticed any difference in the new version. Very stable. I never have the disconnects others post about with the Netgear firmware.
Message 23 of 27
KristinaS
Apprentice

@Davidoo wrote:
I haven't noticed any difference in the new version. Very stable. I never have the disconnects others post about with the Netgear firmware.

thank you. it is what i need to know.

Message 24 of 27
KristinaS
Apprentice

this is a thread about problems in new ng firmware and about methods to resolve them. and alternative fw is one of the solutions. by the way x10 is working well for me with voxels fw.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E