× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX80 not visible to Windows 10 laptop

Wiedeman
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX80 not visible to Windows 10 laptop

I bought a Nighthawk AX6000 (RAX80) WiFi router.  All my devices (TiVo, Roku, iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Surface Tablet) connected without issue.  None of my ASUS Windows 10 Laptops with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 WiFi card could see the SSID being broadcast by the router.  Netgear tech support could not figure it out.  I exchanged it (thinking it could be one bad router) but the new one behaved exactly the same way.

Ultimately, I downloaded the Intel ProSet diagnostic application, which recommended and installed a new driver.  Then I could see the SSID (but still could not connect).  After some combination of rebooting the PC and rebooting the router, I am now on line (I had three laptops and had to go through this three times!)

I believe the driver updates Intel released in November 2018 are essential for PCs with this WiFi device to connect to this (and perhaps all late-issue) Netgear WiFi router.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
dcboy3063
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 not visible to Windows 10 laptop

I too had this issue with my new RAX80 on one HP laptop with an intel chipset. My solution was to go to Intels site and download the recomended driver update. After update and reboot the laptop saw the RAX80's wifi ssid. I have over 30 devices connecting and that was the only one i had issue with. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies

Interesting. Seems that there was nothing wrong at the router end. This bit was the giveaway:

@Wiedeman wrote:

All my devices (TiVo, Roku, iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Surface Tablet) connected without issue.  None of my ASUS Windows 10 Laptops with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 WiFi card could see the SSID being broadcast by the router. 

Suggests that the Windows stuff was the source of the problem.

Did these Windows PCs connect to other wifi sources? Before you applied the new drivers, that is.

Message 2 of 11
Wiedeman
Tutor

That is a fair question, and one I glossed over.  These two-year-old ASUS laptops have been happily connecting to my older Netgear WiFi router ... I replaced it because it started dropping connections.  I was greatly surprised and puzzled at the difficulty with the new router.

Message 3 of 11

@Wiedeman wrote:

These two-year-old ASUS laptops have been happily connecting to my older Netgear WiFi router ...

If you can bring yourself to do it, and the thing is still lying around, you could see if the new Windows drivers prevent the same dropouts on the old router.

If so, that would point the finger firmly in Intel's direction.

Message 4 of 11
Wiedeman
Tutor

That is an interesting suggestion but I'm probably not going to do the experiment.  First, I am extremely wary of breaking something I have finally got working!  Second, Intel itself described this update as having been designed to deal with new wireless technologies, so yes, the finger is squarely pointed at Intel, but they did the right thing.  Technology changes.  They kept up.  I wasn't aware.

Message 5 of 11

@Wiedeman wrote:

First, I am extremely wary of breaking something I have finally got working! 

Spoilsport. But I'd probably do the same thing.

Then again, I don't think I'd buy anything as ugly as the RAX80. And I thought that Netgear had hit new design lows with its gaming routers.

Message 6 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

Disable “ax” functionality in WiFi settings, that should solve your issues. Plus without any ax clients that won’t cause any inconvenience.
Message 7 of 11
dcboy3063
Initiate

I too had this issue with my new RAX80 on one HP laptop with an intel chipset. My solution was to go to Intels site and download the recomended driver update. After update and reboot the laptop saw the RAX80's wifi ssid. I have over 30 devices connecting and that was the only one i had issue with. 

Message 8 of 11
TECHeSmurf
Aspirant

I too had to use the Intel updater to fix this issue.  HP's driver did not work.

Message 9 of 11
juneegun
Initiate

I too had same problem..while using RAX80 and Lenovo laptop, intel wireless ac7260.
I never had this kind of problem within 5yrs.
I downloaded latest intel driver, and fix it.
Message 10 of 11

@Wiedeman wrote:

I believe the driver updates Intel released in November 2018 are essential for PCs with this WiFi device to connect to this (and perhaps all late-issue) Netgear WiFi router.

This is an important note for people. It deserves to be flagged up as a Solution. Unfortunately, you can't do that with a message that kicked off a conversation. So someone else has to get the credit.

At least it will now show up in results when people bother to search this place for the problem.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7