× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX80 random loud fan (not hot) noise and not working

Fespinosa
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX80 random loud fan (not hot) noise and not working

This hard to explain but I'll try my best. My router (which is now the replacement of the one I had little less than a year and netgear replaced-same model) it makes a noise, which it never does when the router is working. It sounds like the fan, when this happens nothing works, and only the power light is one (amber color and not flashing) and the wifi light (white color not flashing). Resetting the router does nothing. I was about to send it back a couple of weeks ago but tech support thought me how to reset it another way (which actually fixed the issue (temporarily). This was done by plugging/unplugging the router from/to the power 7 times while holding the reset button and waiting for 10 seconds and then plugging it back to the power outlet. However, this keeps happening not every day but this is the 3rd time in the past 3 weeks. Anyone else having this issue? I hope this makes sense
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 random loud fan (not hot) noise and not working

What firmware version are you on? 

When its working, I'd try downgrading the firmware a version and disable auto updates. Maybe the firmware version you're on is causing an issue. 

Message 2 of 3
Fespinosa
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 random loud fan (not hot) noise and not working

well i was able to get a new router from netgear after explaining this was my second replacement router with the same issue. I don't recall what the version ( i think it was 1.0.3.88_1.0.41 as when i recieved the router i updated the firmware when i saw the update prompt) was on the previous router but the one I just received as a replacement has v1.0.1.62_1.0.26 installed. I did not update it to the newest version available which is 1.0.3.88_1.0.41. I'm not updating it for now and see what happens. I hope this is the cause of the issues and it looks like it might be because i dont think it would be a hardware issue since i had two rotuers with the same problem.

thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7