Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Router Randomly disconnects from internet

scfancher
Tutor

Nighthawk Router Randomly disconnects from internet

I bought this router on February and it worked fine for a few months.  THe last 2 months it just keeps dropping internet.  It drops both wifi and direct ethernet connections.  I work from home and this drops me from any conference/video calls I am in and the only way to get it back up is to go turn off/on the router and wait for it to connect again.    For about a month it happened almost every day at the same time.  Now for the past few weeks it happens several times a day all at different times.  Everything in the house loses connection.  I have had internet company (Spectrum) come out and replace modem and check the lines and that is all fine.

I need help with how to fix this issue as it is affecting my job and this is a new router and was fairly expensive so I'd like to avoid buying a new one.  ANy suggestions?

1. I have already reset the router and set it up again

2. firmware is up to date. V1.3.1.64

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Nighthawk Router Randomly disconnects from internet

@scfancher wrote:

I have had internet company (Spectrum) come out and replace modem and check the lines and that is all fine.

What is that modem?

@scfancher wrote:

THe last 2 months it just keeps dropping internet.  It drops both wifi and direct ethernet connections. 

What do the LEDs on the front of this thing look like when the Internet drops?

What about indicators on the modem? My modem went through a spate of disconnects a while back. The modem showed that it had lost the connection. Of course, the ISP says there is nothing wrong, but my modem disagreed.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

You're actually 4 versions out of date on the firwmare. 

The latest currently is 1.3.3.140

You might try updating to the current version, doing a factory reset, and reinstalling (don't use a backup configuration)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000p#download

Message 3 of 5
scfancher
Tutor

I just did that last night, so we will see how things go today. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
newbornkilik
Aspirant

Any updates? I just realized that I was a few firmware updates behind as well (auto update check could use some work) with the same issue. How is it going so far?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7