Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Router now having intermittent signal issues after installing Nighthawk x6 Mesh Extender

jbdonohue
Follower

Nighthawk Router now having intermittent signal issues after installing Nighthawk x6 Mesh Extender

Hello Fellow Members of this Community,

Here's the story: 

Equipment...

• Netgear Cable Modem CM500 
  • Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000
  • Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender

Scenario...

1. Recently purchased Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender to aide in the stability of a desktop computer that was positioned away from the WiFi router...thinking if the ethernet cable from the extender to the desktop would keep it more stable.
  2. Tons of issues trying to get it connected in the first place...could have something to do with the user...me 🙂
  3. Received assistance from the Netgear Tech Support, after long wait times and long troubleshooting calls x3 events
  4. Did my due diligence with the Internet Service Provider to be sure everything is functioning optimally, everything is in order and rarely do I have a problem with them and my service.

Current issue...

• The WiFi connection has never been more unstable than it is now with the addition of the extender...often the WiFi returns a message that the Internet connection is lost, and I have to start over again on routerlogin.net...(exasperating)
  • Attempts to change the channels to improve WiFi connectivity/stability...but seem to bump back to Auto settings that clearly foul up everything
  • Prior to the Extender installation, everything was stable

Options...

1. On the last tech call I was told to buy an new Router...and that should fix things...(Willing to give it a try...but wondering to myself, why would I buy another Netgear product if the last one I bought is messing me up?)
  2. Return the extender while it's still under warranty...and go back to greater WiFi Stability and connect a wire directly from the router to the desktop (Not ideal because the desktop is in a place that doesn't allow me a pretty way to connect without drilling through walls and creating a wired connection)
  3. Ask all of you...if there's a way to stop the madness using what I have to work with currently?

Please help?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Router now having intermittent signal issues after installing Nighthawk x6 Mesh Extend

What firmware is on the r7000?

What extender do you have (model number)?

What firmware is on the extender? 

The R7000 isn't known for the greatest firmware. The agreed upon stable version is 1.0.9.42. 

If you change firmware, I'd recommend doing it over a hardwired connection, factory resetting afterwards, and then doing a clean install (not from backup).

Message 2 of 3

Re: Nighthawk Router now having intermittent signal issues after installing Nighthawk x6 Mesh Extend

@jbdonohue wrote:

Scenario...

1. Recently purchased Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender to aide in the stability of a desktop computer that was positioned away from the WiFi router...thinking if the ethernet cable from the extender to the desktop would keep it more stable.

Does it have a model number?

The router is R7000. The extender is what?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7