Re: Nighthawk Signal Strength Issue

TRM13
Follower

Nighthawk Signal Strength Issue

In in a 2,800sqft house and I’m having issues with WiFi signal relatively close to the router. Maybe 100 feet or less away. My smart TV is very slow my nest doorbell camera is on a major delay. My WiFi speeds are very fast. Over 100 mbps however I’m getting low signal strength on many devices around the house. There are 23 devices connected to the router on average on a daily basis. Is there any advice on what to do? My house is not very big by any means. According to Nighthawks specs it should handle the entire house just fine.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Signal Strength Issue

@TRM13 wrote:
In in a 2,800sqft house and I’m having issues with WiFi signal relatively close to the router. Maybe 100 feet or less away. My smart TV is very slow my nest doorbell camera is on a major delay. My WiFi speeds are very fast. Over 100 mbps however I’m getting low signal strength on many devices around the house. There are 23 devices connected to the router on average on a daily basis. Is there any advice on what to do? My house is not very big by any means. According to Nighthawks specs it should handle the entire house just fine.

What is your homes internal wall material? many materials are great at blocking wifi. Plus, positioning of the router makes a big deal. hvac within walls can block signals so sometimes moving a router left/right/further away/closer can make a big difference.

And 2800sq ft is pushing the limits of size. I've got a 3200 sqft home and I run a orbi router with 2x satellites for full coverage. 

Especially if you have the router on one side of your home versus centrally located. Plus details help. Saying its slow doesn't mean a whole lot without actual data. I've had people tell me their devices are slow when the speed to them is fine and its a different issue.  Another key is radio testing with. Many smart home devices like camera's only connect to 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is much lower throughput than 5ghz and is more sensitive to wireless interference. If you're on a channel with a lot of interference or at the edge of the wifi range, you're not going to have good throughput.

so some details:

1. What modem are you using?

2. What speeds do you pay for?

3. What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem and speed directly connected to the router?

4. Home's interior wall material?

5. Is the router centrally located?

6. Actual data on wifi speeds. Detail what device you're testing with. locations testing, wireless radio (2.4ghz/5ghz) testing with, etc. This makes a huge difference as 2.4ghz is much lower throughput than 5ghz but can broadcast further. 

7. Firmware on router? This is another key as the R7000 isn't known for the best firmware on the last several generations. The agreed upon most stable firmware for it is the .42 version. Most downgrade to it over a hardwired connection, reset the router afterwards, and manually reinstall it. this helps with many issues on the R7000

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E