Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Throttling Speeds

bitsy
Aspirant

Nighthawk Throttling Speeds

My router does not appear in the options, but I’m using an R6400V2 Nighthawk (AC1750).

So here’s what’s going on: every 1-2 months, my internet starts to slow down. My download speed will intermittently dip by a significant amount (to about 10Mbps instead of the 100Mbps that I pay for with Spectrum). The frequency of this intermittent slow down will usually increase over the course of a week, to the point where it is fluctuating between 10Mbps and 100Mbps every few minutes. (It becomes unusable for me, preventing me from VPN/Remote Desktop in to my work computer, and it also becomes unusable even for internet browsing.) My initial impression was that this was a modem or ISP problem. I’ve since had my modem replaced three times, and each time it resolves the issue—but only for 1-2 months at a time. I have repeated this process with my ISP over and over, and they suggested that my router might be functioning incorrectly.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with quickly fluctuating speeds? It makes my internet unusable. I still don’t suspect the router, but I figured it was worth seeing if anyone else has experienced this.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the router? 

When it happens does a reboot or even a factory reset on the router help? 

Message 2 of 4
bitsy
Aspirant

Hi @plemans!

I have firmware version v1.0.4.102.

I have rebooted many times—which doesn’t help the problem— but I’ve never considered a factory reset. I don’t have too many custom settings, so I suppose it wouldn’t be too time intensive to try. I’m happy to give anything a go at this point.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

the other thing you can try? 

Netgear armor was added in version 1.0.4.78 of the firmware. the R6400 was borderline in having enough cpu to run it (version 1 didn't get it for this reason). You could try rolling back firmware to version 1.0.3.66 of the firmware, factory reset, and then disable auto updates. maybe your version's cpu is a little slower or thermally limited and doesn't work well on the armor firmware. That's also an option to try. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7