Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10 10gb connection

djahn28
Aspirant

Nighthawk X10 10gb connection

hello ! i was wondering  if i run a SFP+ cable from my computer to the nighthawk x10 will i be able to access the internet though it? as well as access my usb drive? any help would be great !!!! thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 36

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10 10gb connection

@djahn28 wrote:
I don't plan to nor am I trying to get 10 gigabytes over the internet I just want to be able to have the best connection to my USB storage device as well as have a connection to the internet. When I'm transferring 10 or 12 movies from my main Drive to my USB external drive that's connected via USB 3.0 I'm only getting about 50 or 60 megabytes per second transfer rate from my main computer to the drive with the 10 gigabit connection I should be able to maximize the USB 3.0 skip abilities with the way my way to set up and guess between 120 and 240 megabytes per second give or take.

FWIW, smallnetbuilder.com was only able to get 103.7 megabytes per second out of the USB 3.0 port (link).  Even a Gigabit port can handle that.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 36

All Replies
William10a
Master

@djahn28 wrote:

hello ! i was wondering  if i run a SFP+ cable from my computer to the nighthawk x10 will i be able to access the internet though it? as well as access my usb drive? any help would be great !!!! thanks

Not sure but it should it sounds like a fun test to see what speeds you would see on the 10gigia lan and if can get a 10giga network card.

Message 2 of 36
djahn28
Aspirant

Ive ordered everything including the sfp+ card and cables . just waiting in amazon to get it here
Message 3 of 36
William10a
Master

10giga to every wired device would the best thing to have no band witdh problems and fastest internet to your computers too. There is youtube video a 10giga networks install if iterested.

Message 4 of 36
djahn28
Aspirant

I just dont know if i can access the internet through the sfp+ with the x10
Message 5 of 36
William10a
Master

May be not at this time but as internet speeds increase and faster fiber rolls out possible in a couple of years or sooner it is all about money if people will paid for it they find a away to sale it to you.

Message 6 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@djahn28 wrote:

hello ! i was wondering  if i run a SFP+ cable from my computer to the nighthawk x10 will i be able to access the internet though it? as well as access my usb drive?

Yes, and yes.

Message 7 of 36
djahn28
Aspirant

Awesome!!!! Ive been getting so many "i dont knows" it was crazy . thanks for the help
Message 8 of 36
William10a
Master

It will be interesting to see how the speeds of the internet and your usb attached drive do on gaint pipe line from the normal small pipe line of a cat6 or cat7 and what your ping times are only if your isp had a 10giga internet service to go with your new super high lan to push it's limits.

Message 9 of 36
TheEther
Guru

The SFP+ is a LAN port.  The rest of the ports, including the WAN port, are Gigabit Ethernet.  How are you going to get 10 Gbps from the Internet?

Message 10 of 36
djahn28
Aspirant

I don't plan to nor am I trying to get 10 gigabytes over the internet I just want to be able to have the best connection to my USB storage device as well as have a connection to the internet. When I'm transferring 10 or 12 movies from my main Drive to my USB external drive that's connected via USB 3.0 I'm only getting about 50 or 60 megabytes per second transfer rate from my main computer to the drive with the 10 gigabit connection I should be able to maximize the USB 3.0 skip abilities with the way my way to set up and guess between 120 and 240 megabytes per second give or take.
Message 11 of 36
William10a
Master

I know that 1 giga is the current limit of lan ports on routers today I would hope that 10giga or faster could become standard cost is the main limiting factor now but should come down as time goes on.

Message 12 of 36
djahn28
Aspirant

The setup wasn't too expensive I got to used SFP plus cards on Amazon for $40 and a 100 foot cable for $50 and then the two cable ends were twenty bucks each well then I guess the Nighthawk router as well
Message 13 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@TheEther wrote:

The SFP+ is a LAN port.  The rest of the ports, including the WAN port, are Gigabit Ethernet.  How are you going to get 10 Gbps from the Internet?

Of course you can't.

If you connected a NAS to the SFP+ port, then it could deliver >1 gbit total throughput to multiple simultaneous clients.  Similarly if the PC makes connections to multiple devices at the same time it can also exceed 1 gbit total.  But the flow to each other device is limited to 1 gigabit in each direction.

Message 14 of 36
William10a
Master

The cost a large scale roll out today would very costly to run 10gigs to each house in America not counting homes in the rest of the world that have internet service but as equipement cost come down and the demand for it grows it may have chance to I hope.

Message 15 of 36
schumaku
Guru

To add a little bit of insight ... all ports, being the SFP+ (10 GbE), the single GbE ports on the switch, and the optionally trunked (GbE switch port 1&2) interfaces, and last but not least the 2.4/5/60 GHz primary SSIDs are all connecting into the same broadcast domain, the same TCP/IP subnet.

Message 16 of 36
TheEther
Guru

@djahn28 wrote:

FWIW, smallnetbuilder.com was only able to get 103.7 megabytes per second out of the USB 3.0 port (link).  Even a Gigabit port can handle that.

Message 17 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@djahn28 wrote:
The setup wasn't too expensive I got to used SFP plus cards on Amazon for $40 and a 100 foot cable for $50 and then the two cable ends were twenty bucks each well then I guess the Nighthawk router as well

This is an interesting approach. Effectively required are: One SFP+ interface card for the computer, either two SFP+ fiber module and a matching fiber, or an SFP+ DAC cable (limited length).

Mid-term, I would like to see Netgear coming up with a small and affordable 10/1 GbE switch with one or to SFP+ ports, and some six to eight 10 GbE copper ports. While fiber and SFP+ are popular in data centers, 10 GbE on copper is much easier to handle in the SOHO/high-end home market. Matter of fact, Netgear did a lot of pioneering with the XS switches, and the 10 GbE enabled ReadyNAS ... all using 10 GbE on copper.

Message 18 of 36
William10a
Master

I remember when the cell phone came in a bag and was analog not todays digital phones that fit in your packet I see a point in time where like the cellphone started as toy for some became needed for eveyday life and the must used iteam today. The 10gigabit internet true today 10giga internet is not needed by every one today but give it say seven to ten years time life with out will be impossible. Remember the Raytheon radar oven that needed water running thought it to cool a radar tube today it is your micro wave oven that you use to cook or warm food in.

Message 19 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@TheEther wrote:

@djahn28 wrote:

One limiting factor is the non-native NTFS implementation, convinced an R9000 supported native Linux file system would perform better.

Reasons to deploy 10 GbE - with a single SFP+ port here is of course not the plain end-to-end blinding marketing numbers - much more it should allow to use multiple services concurrently without a bandwidth limitation, being connections to R9000 services like USB device sharing, Plex, Internet, trunked and sinlge GbE access for a single direct connected system, or for multiple in combination with a 1/10 GbE switch offering an SFP+ uplink. Not that easy to understand for many in this consumer class marketing environment.

Curious on how many R9000 owners are really making use of the 802.11d (60 GHz WiGig) taking a lot of room and ading marketing numbers again. Bet there would be even less response than on SFP+/10GbE forum questions.

Message 20 of 36
William10a
Master

I believe that probably the first time Internet over tv cable in fact tv cable started from a man tying to keep his wife happy and he placed a antenna and amplifier that he made on top of the highest building in town all just to receive one station and dsl for the phone people had the same type discussions about would it ever take off or just become a passing thing. The 10 giga may not find it's main use in the home but should fine a strong foot hold in the business world. 

Message 21 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Mid-term, I would like to see Netgear coming up with a small and affordable 10/1 GbE switch with one or to SFP+ ports, and some six to eight 10 GbE copper ports. 

The XS708Ev2 has 8 ports total, one can be either 10GBase-T or SFP+.

The price is still high for home users though - ~$700.  And PC 10Gbase-T cards cost ~$200.  

Message 22 of 36
schumaku
Guru

While perfectly workable, I don't see the XS708Ev2/XS716 as a complimentary switch - wrong format, fan, not sexy, ... - to match the R9000.

Prices for Gigabit interfaces and per switch port were much higher at the same technology life cycle. And it is not that long ago, that consumer routers came with Fast Ethernet only. Gigabit prices have collapsed - when we see low cost GbE interfaces or "dumb" five/eight port switches for a hand full of Dollars - this can't be a healthy development. And this crash has created most of the price gap.
Message 23 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:
While perfectly workable, I don't see the XS708Ev2/XS716 as a complimentary switch - wrong format, fan, not sexy, ... - to match the R9000.

I guess you are hoping for a 10Gbase-T nighthawk switch then.

Message 24 of 36
William10a
Master

That I would like plus 10 giga speeds on the wifi as long your putting a dream list together I know there are no wifi devices in use today in the home that supports 10 giga connections but as long it is a possible dream feature list for a super router for the future the sky is the limit it will be interesting to see what real world version will bring to a supper router.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7