Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10 10gb connection

StephenB
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10 10gb connection

@William10a wrote:

That I would like plus 10 giga speeds on the wifi as long your putting a dream list 

The IEEE is on it.  802.11ax is in the works, and the goal is 5x the speed of 802.11ac.  Probably not until 2019 or so though.

That's not 10 gpbs (except perhaps in labs), but it is still an impressive jump.  Prices have to come way down on the 10 gbps wired side though.

Message 26 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@William10a wrote:

That I would like plus 10 giga speeds on the wifi as long your putting a dream list 

The IEEE is on it.  802.11ax is in the works, and the goal is 5x the speed of 802.11ac.  Probably not until 2019 or so though.

Good luck with ten, hunderd or more neighbours and probaly some public hotspots all (ab-)using eight time 20 MHz channels to form the 160 MHz band required - depending on the regulatory are, there are just about _two_ such blocks available in the 5 GHz band and not even one in 2.4 GHz. And all sharing the same single media. 

All the numbers we read in marekting and most device specs are just dreams. This won't change much in 2019.

The Nighthawk X10 introduced (along with a competitor) the 802.11ad, able to provide multi-GbE bandwdth on the much less congested shot range 60 GHz band. And different from 802.11ac where most commodity clients use 2*2 on 866 MHz bandwith only, aside of a exception from Cuppertino.

Mid term, the true critical point in 802.11ac is not blinding I-want-it-all sinlge uer, sinlge thread throughpout - instead, much more must be done in the MU-MIMO area, allowing a smooth co-operation with different clients, and with the wireless neighbours. 

If you want performance on longer range, there is no way aorund wired connecitons. True 10 GbE is here, 40 GbE is becoming affordable. Non-congested bandwidth of course.

@StephenB wrote:

Prices have to come way down on the 10 gbps wired side though.

This already happened. While 10 GbE is not commodity yet, it is affordable in most markets. Some 10+ years ago, we paid some 20kUS$ ex VAT for six 10 GbE interface ports. 

And yes - full reach 10 GbE (and 40 GbE) on copper has an impact on power usage. That's why we don't see notebooks with these interfaces yet. Probably room for the existing 2.5/5 GbE standard? Time will show.

Lock back when the first GbE interfaces became availbale on higher end consumer/SOHO routers/CPEs, and how long it took to have 1 GbE switches in the commodity router/CPE/switch market. Same for low-power, low-cost clients which still come with FE only. It's no that long ago, Stephen...

Message 27 of 36
William10a
Master

I see optics as possible answer to the power requirements an optic can 10 to 40 giga speeds without any problems they have been used by electronics in the for years on flat sreen tv's,computers some times have a optic port and other electronics in use today to interconnect different devices as a replacement to copper cat 6 and cat 7 cable. I believe that it is possible for netgear to make a router/modem devicewith a phone over the internet that links by a optic cable to replace the isp units with out a ont.

Message 28 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@William10a wrote:

I see optics as possible answer to the power requirements an optic can 10 to 40 giga speeds without any problems they have been used by electronics in the for years on flat sreen tv's,computers some times have a optic port and other electronics in use today to interconnect different devices as a replacement to copper cat 6 and cat 7 cable.

With US$ 300 still asked by the brand vendors per 10GBase-SR SFP+ Fiber Transceiver Module 850nm MM LC w/DDM for up to 300 m Multimode fibre (I known "non-names" are sold around 100 US$ locally down to less than 20 US$ direct from mainland China), compareable high installation costs (an average IT infrastructure person, electrician and even home worker can install CAT7+ wiring with reasonable to good quality - but not fibre) as there is more than just deloying patch cables, ... I have my serious doubts.

@William10a wrote:

... I believe that it is possible for netgear to make a router/modem devicewith a phone over the internet that links by a optic cable to replace the isp units with out a ont.

Not many FTTH ISP will allow and support 3rd party CPE, and not one I know when it comes to tripple-play solutions - for compatibility, for manageability, for operational reasons. Last but not least, the real CPE market is run on basic specs, and finally the price per 1000 units - not convined 10 (or 40) GbE technology will be within the acceptable price range for ISP CPE.

Message 29 of 36
William10a
Master

Fiber is very costly today but more isp's are starting to roll fiber out the need supporting layout the infrastructure this will help lower the cost and the max speed may only be 5 or 15 giga depending on what you are paying for I see it may be taking hold in years not today as replacement for the copper cable it has taken years for copper to bes to replaced by fiber to people's homes which going on today so it will take time. 

Message 30 of 36
schumaku
Guru

We should not mix Internet and 1/10/whatever GbE LAN Ethernet capabilities here. There is no need for a high perfromance Internet connection to operate a fast LAN. 

Message 31 of 36
StephenB
Guru

I think a lot will depend on how much speed home users will want.  Gigabit ISP rates are still just rolling out,  and I think most users would be happy with gigabit wifi that matched their ISP speeds.

Message 32 of 36
schumaku
Guru

The combined effective possible speed rates of the 2.4 and the MU-MIMO on the X10 WiFi does already exceed a GbE Internet connection. It's irreal to expect full 1 GbE performance on a 1 Gb/s (or effective 1.25 Gb/s to combine Internet, Unicast-/Multicast-combined TV, and telephony) FTTH connctions deployed today - leaving the hevaily delivery network backed services, the biggest amount of Web Servers is still operated on (shared) 1 GbE networks delivering much slower.

There are ample of resons to operate faster than 1 GbE locally, not only when operating NAS storage. Already a combined USB stroage access, some Plex streaming, and Internet access handled by a X10 can (on the LAN side) easily exceed a sinlge GbE link capability. Netgear does understand these requirements, and has added a pair of 802.3ad/LACP GbE trunk, and an SFP+ port with the X10.

For years, many of us operated Internet on thin to weak DSL connecitons, or DOCSIS 1 and 2 based cable TV networks earlier days to Fast Ethernet LAN, later with GbE LAN - barely exceeded some 50/20 or 50/25 Mb/s on good VDSL2. Can't understand why you guys link local LAN bandwith requirements with the Internet access bandwidth. To many marketing and performance geeks here I guess.

Message 33 of 36
William10a
Master

You could cat6 or cat7 lan cables that would handle the faster 10gb How  ver the cat 5 hits its limit at 1 gb I guess a router could have 10gb lan ports if the orther end of the cable had a 10gb port also I see speed's lower then the 10gb unless really want it.

Message 34 of 36
schumaku
Guru

Once for the records - Ethernet GBASE-T, 2.5GBASE-T, 5GBASE-T, 10GBASE-T and wiring:

• CAT5 allows 1 Gbit/s up to* 100 meters
  • CAT5E allows 1 or 2.5 Gbit/s up to* 100 meters, resp. 5 Gbit/s up to" 100m of Cat 5e "on defined use cases and deployment configurations" 
  • CAT6 allows 1 or 2.5 or 5 Gbit/s up to* 100 meters or 10 Gbit/s up to 55 meters with a 500 MHz validation 
  • CAT6E allows 1 or 2.5 or 5 or 10 Gbit/s up to* 100 meters
  • CAT7 does it all, and will be able to handle more, up to 600 MHz, for future standards
  • CAT7A does it all, and will be able to handle more, up to 1000 MHz, for future standards

*some state "at least to"

There is no fall-back to a lower speed on sub-standard quality cabling, links will start to develop issues of the cabling is not good enough.One minor exception is that a 10 GbE might fall back to 1 GbE if one or both additional pairs requied are broken.

Note: The X10 does not have a 10GBASE-T port, it comes with a 10 GbE capable SFP+ slot.

Don't remember having seen any of these in the specs: No idea if it's supposed to work with SFP (1 GbE) or 2.5 and 5 GbE SFP+ modules - usually, SFP+ slots are made for 10 GbE or for 2.5/5/10 GbE. It might be able to power a SFP+ 10GBASE-T on up to 30 meters on a CAT6A or better infrastructure.

Now I think a mod should close this topic - we're ways of the subject now.

Message 35 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Can't understand why you guys link local LAN bandwith requirements with the Internet access bandwidth.

I do understand those are separate.  As a ReadyNAS owner I certainly want my local LAN bandwidth to exceed my internet access speed.

But for most people I know, they are increasingly tied.  They use (or are shiting towards) internet streaming, internet gaming, cloud storage and cloud backup. All that's left on the home network itself is printing.   The only requirement they have for the local lan bandwidth is that it not be a bottleneck for their internet access speed.

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7