Nighthawk X10 AP Mode

tomburke74
Tutor

Nighthawk X10 AP Mode

Hi, From what I have read AP mode seems to be the correct option but thought I would ask the question.

I currently use an ADSL modem in bridge mode connecting to my R9000 Nighthawk. I have several computers, ipads, phones, printers and a heap of wifi relays etc for automation connected to the R9000, maybe 70-80 devices in total. Everything is currently fine.

Recently I connected to a 4G wireless internet plan which uses a Hauwei B525 with Optus's custom firmware which has removed the bridge mode functionality amoung other things.

Is my best or only option to place the R9000 in AP mode and connect the new modem via Cat.6? In this scenario which device is doing all the heavy lifting, the R9000 or the B525?

Thanks

Tom

Message 1 of 2

Re: Nighthawk X10 AP Mode

@tomburke74 wrote:

Recently I connected to a 4G wireless internet plan which uses a Hauwei B525 with Optus's custom firmware which has removed the bridge mode functionality amoung other things.

If the Huawei really is a modem/router with no possibility of setting it into modem only (bridged) mode, then AP mode on the R9000 is probably the best option.

But that means you hit this one:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There may be ways to tweak things to get around the modem/router issue, but that depends on how much you can configure the modem, which is best researched in places where they understand the B525. Or somewhere like this:

How to Use Your Router and ISP’s Modem/Router Combo In Tandem

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E