Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X10 R9000 Does not recognize USB Harddisk

aabrenica
Tutor

Nighthawk X10 R9000 Does not recognize USB Harddisk

My Nighthawk X10 Router does not recognize my 6TB WD Harddrive.

Are there any limitations to the type of harddisk that is compatible with the router?

Any preferred specs from Netgear. I need the harddisk for the built in Plex server.

Nighthawk X10 R9000

Firmware V1.0.2.52

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
aabrenica
Tutor

Thanks for all the responses. So far, the issue has been solved on my end.

Here was Netgear Support's response:

"With regard to your inquiry, we have test up to 4TB USB drive storage capacity. For larger than 4TB, you can partition your drive or use other USB drive that are tested to work with R9000. 

By the way, you may refer to this link for the list of USB drives have been reported to work with R9000, https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE 

With your case, I suggest to partition your drive or use other USB drive. This is to isolate your case too. "

I however found my own solution. What I did was this exact sequence: 1) I turned off both the Nighthawk X10 router and the WD MyBook Hard Drive. 2) I tuned on the router after at least 15 seconds, and waited for it to fully reboot. 3) After the full reboot of the router, that is the only time I turned on the power for the WD MyBook Hard Drive.

The router now recognizes the 6TB WD My Book Hard Drive. It does not work in any other sequence than the one above. The router has to be turned on first and then with the USB connected first before powering up the Hard Drive.

I hope this helps all those with powered and high capacity hard drives above 4TB.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
aabrenica
Tutor

Thanks. To be clearer, it does not recognize a 6TB Western Digital My Book USB hard drive. But after, just right now, connected via USB an old 500GB hard drive, the router recognizes it, and the hard drive works with the built in PLEX server. My questions is why is this so? What hard drive does it work with in terms of maximum capacity? I bought the WD 6TB My Book thinking I could store all my media there and connect it to the Nighthawk X10.
Message 2 of 5
xnsys
Luminary

What format is the 6TB drive?  Could be that the R9000 cannot support ExFAT or NTFS.

Message 3 of 5
aabrenica
Tutor

Thank you. The 6TB is formatted to NTFS.
Message 4 of 5
aabrenica
Tutor

Thanks for all the responses. So far, the issue has been solved on my end.

Here was Netgear Support's response:

"With regard to your inquiry, we have test up to 4TB USB drive storage capacity. For larger than 4TB, you can partition your drive or use other USB drive that are tested to work with R9000. 

By the way, you may refer to this link for the list of USB drives have been reported to work with R9000, https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE 

With your case, I suggest to partition your drive or use other USB drive. This is to isolate your case too. "

I however found my own solution. What I did was this exact sequence: 1) I turned off both the Nighthawk X10 router and the WD MyBook Hard Drive. 2) I tuned on the router after at least 15 seconds, and waited for it to fully reboot. 3) After the full reboot of the router, that is the only time I turned on the power for the WD MyBook Hard Drive.

The router now recognizes the 6TB WD My Book Hard Drive. It does not work in any other sequence than the one above. The router has to be turned on first and then with the USB connected first before powering up the Hard Drive.

I hope this helps all those with powered and high capacity hard drives above 4TB.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7