Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10 R9000 = LAN Ports

MG415
Aspirant

Nighthawk X10 R9000 = LAN Ports

Aaargh!  This is about as frustrating as it gets.  I purchased this router only 6 months ago!

Running the latest firmware (1.0.4.12) available for my R9000 router.  And I have to say that a bunch of issues started after this firmware upgrade.  One issue was it would lose Internet connection to my cable modem.  A power reboot and cable re-plug would fix that issue however.  But just the other day, all but LAN ports 1 and 2 stopped working.  And no amount of reboots or cable swaps seemed to get ports 3 - 6 working again.  I'm inclined to think it is a hardware failure but odd that Ports 1 and 2 (the aggregate ports) are still working.  

Note: no issues with the WiFi, just the LAN ports.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
MG415
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X10 R9000 = LAN Ports

Netgear confirmed that it is a hardware issue and has agreed to replace the router.  Hopefully the replacement unit will lead a longer and fruitful life...

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
MG415
Aspirant

I will add that nothing I plug in on ports 3 - 6 sees any internet traffic, and the LEDs do not light up.  But if I plug in a working device on either port 1 or 2, the LED lights up (either white or amber) and internet traffic flows through.

Message 2 of 11
myersw
Master

Seems simple. Drop back to version that was working. Netgear firmware is so buggy and crappy nothing is a surprise. 

Message 3 of 11
MG415
Aspirant

I’ve gone back one version (with factory reset and all) and so far no luck. I’m becoming more and more convinced it is a hardware failure...
Message 4 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] nothing I plug in on ports 3 - 6 sees any internet traffic, and
> the LEDs do not light up. [...]

Sounds to me like a hardware failure in the simple network switch
section.  If you connect a known-good cable between any two LAN Ethernet
ports, then both the port-status LED indicators should show a good
physical link.  I wouldn't expect firmware to matter much in this case.

> [...] I purchased this router only 6 months ago! [...]

The warranty duration is a year, isn't it?

Message 5 of 11
MG415
Aspirant

Yes, it is still under hardware warranty...about to start the painful RMA process.  😞  This will most likely be my last Netgear device.

Message 6 of 11
MG415
Aspirant

Netgear confirmed that it is a hardware issue and has agreed to replace the router.  Hopefully the replacement unit will lead a longer and fruitful life...

Message 7 of 11
SkimPappa
Apprentice

My R9000 has done this same thing multiple times. I found myself plugging in to the port 1 and 2 in order to get a connection. Although it hasn’t been permanent. I periodically still get connections on other ports. 

Message 8 of 11
MG415
Aspirant

If you are still under hardware warranty, I recommend you contact Tech Support the next time those ports go out.  It definitely sounds like the same issue as mine (though mine never recovered--and I waited several days before I contacted NetGear).

I'm hoping that this was an issue with a specific production line/batch and not persistent across the entire product line...even though the replacement unit I got was brand-new (not refurb), the warranty is still based on my original purchase date--so I only have another ~6 months or so left.  😞

Message 9 of 11
Erojhani
Aspirant

I’m having this same issue with mine and it’s only 4 months old!! How did you get it replaced? I can’t just pull the thing offline - I depend on it.
Message 10 of 11
MG415
Aspirant

Hi,

You are past the 90 day full warranty period so you have three options (once Netgear Support has determined it is a hardware issue and have received an RMA—see my previous response(s) for details on this on this): 1. Ship your unit to the address provided by the support staff, and once they receive it, they will ship a replacement unit out to you. This is the no cost option but could take a couple of weeks all said and done. 2. You pay for priority shipping and they ship a unit out to you with a prepaid label for returning the defective unit. You will have 2 weeks to return your old unit or you will get charged full price for the replacement router. Option 3: pay more for overnight shipping to get the new unit faster. Same conditions as option 2 apply.

When you talk to Netgear Support they will explain the options and cost to you. Depending on where you are located the shipping costs may vary, and I don’t know if these options are available if you are located outside the US.

Regardless, you must talk to Netgear support and obtain an RMA first.

Good luck!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7