Highlighted

Nighthawk X10 R9000 network monitoring configuration?

Greetings all, I recently upgraded to the X10 due to the demands that my home network has started to put on our overall infrastructure. The feature set made it sound like it had quite a few capabilities around network monitoring, bandwidth utilization, etc. and while this is true in some respects, it doesn't get me to where I would like to be. To be effective I really need to be able to track network utilization etc. down to the individual machine. The nighthawk will show a dashboard of sorts for real time monitoring, but there is no easy way I can find to pull that out into a proper network monitoring system. I find the logging sytstem has some good info in it, however again, I don't see an easy way to collect, analyze, and respond to it in a meaningful way. I am a relative novice at network design so forgive my ignorance - I figured I would reach out to the community for suggestions? I would like to have the ability within my current network to monitor utilization at the individual device level (real time and logged) and to dig into the data when necessary (packet analysis). I have Wireshark etc.for packet analysis but I can only capture snippets. I would love to have something like the biz lines have (SNMP monitoring, Flow, etc.) but I do not believe this line supports those. Smiley Sad 

In my latest attempt I installed pfSense onto a spare box to possibly act as an aggrigator and give me access to what I need. I also don't hate the idea of having a separate firewall. My config is a bit strange, though, and I haven't figured out a way to make it work out without neutering my R9000 and making it an access point, or otherwise ending up with the setups being unhappy. I have a Comcast cable modem (no integrated router etc.) connecting directly into a Netgear GS108PE swtich which is then feeding to my X10 and the majority of the devices therein. I simply can't find the right order of operation and am feeling like I may be missing something obvious, or simply experimented my way into a corner. Any help/suggestions/things I might try are greatly appreciated, before I lose any more sleep to fiddling!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

Re: Nighthawk X10 R9000 network monitoring configuration?

Greetings,

You are not going to get the granular level of monitoring you are looking for from consumer grade product such as an X10.  While its enthusiast level, its monitoring capabilities are limited.  Seems you have discovered this.  An all incusive solution might include products made by Ubiquiti, Rukus or Meraki. 

Software solutions might also exist, but as you are already aware, these  require additional resources for monitoring. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.62 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted

Re: Nighthawk X10 R9000 network monitoring configuration?

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, I  quite like the router otherwise, thoug, which is why I was looking for advice as to any solutions which have worked for others. Right now I have the Cable Modem > Netgear POE 8 port Switch > X10 pathing working fine, but introducing another layer between the modem and the switch, or even the switch and the router 1, takes me out of my comfort zone, and 2, seems to simply break everything. I know that Netgear says that they open support opensource BIOS' and the X10 is pretty new, but I wonder if any of these said opensource BIOS replacements are stable enough to be worth a try? I seem to recall I heard that the WRT bios being used on other routers I have heard of opened up SNMP capabilities. If that is the case I have spare hardware, I can deploy an old piece of hardware as a collector if that is what makes the  most sense. I went with PfSense because it has a great reputation and I didn't mind the extra security. The install went flawless and stable, but my little house of cards mentioned above comes apart when I put it in the mix Smiley Sad I tried keeping the X10 in router mode, but disabling DHCP  on it and enabling the DHCP server on pfSense itself. This worked, even giving out local addresses  to the "grand children" connecting up through the X10, but unfortunately the network/internet capabilities did not make it  through the exchange for them. Smiley Sad 

I am open to any possibilities, I wanted to ask for any thoughts from others whom may have solved this issue, or are Networking Guru'sthat might have some input before I start "tilting at windmills" again Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements