• 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Follower

Nighthawk X10 R9000 randomly changing internal IP on a daily basis

As the title says, a Nighthawk X10 R9000 randomly changing internal IP on a daily basis. This is on a home network and I run 2 VNC servers for work use. I have set up the main server via wan setup but every night I have to get back and reset it. This is an issue if it happens when Im not at home to fix it when needed. Looking for detailed advice on how to fix this issue, please ELI5. Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10 R9000 randomly changing internal IP on a daily basis

Hi,

@lingroup wrote:

As the title says, a Nighthawk X10 R9000 randomly changing internal IP on a daily basis.

The router LAN IP does change on it's own?

@lingroupwrote:

This is on a home network and I run 2 VNC servers for work use..

Ot the VNC systems change the (assumingly DHCP assigned) IP addresses?

@lingroupwrote:

I have set up the main server via wan setup but every night I have to get back and reset it. This is an issue if it happens when Im not at home to fix it when needed. Looking for detailed advice on how to fix this issue, please ELI5.

Still trying to understand - one of the VNC accessible systems need to reset? Or the R9000? A more detailed and complete problem description would help.

@Case850 wrote:

How long have you had the R9000? It has multiple issues.

That is just nonsense. You just don't like the R9000 for various reasons. Do you operate and manage an R9000?

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

@Case850wrote:

Let me see now. 802.11ad and the very niche 10Gbps Ethernet interface accounts for a fair portion of the cost of the R9000.

The amount of parts required for adding one or two SFP+ cage(s) to the Annapurna SoC is amazingly low, and has just a small impact on the BoM.

@Case850 wrote:

10Gbps Ethernet is not really a home user technology.

Just got symmetrical 10 Gb Internet access set-up, ~USD 55 per month, best effort of course, including telephony, IPTV service, fixed IP, a provider router and  - Router, Wi-Fi (WLAN) 4X4 MIMO, 10 Gbit/s Ethernet port, USB 3.0, DECT base and Media server), and an Apple TV 4K on rent included  ... Good morning 2018.

Everybody operating NAS knows that the GbE is a major bottleneck nowadays.

@Case850 wrote:

Then there is the R9000 CPU which is Annapurna, but the rest of the router is Qualcomm. This is match that was never going to work.

How many systems "out there" combine generic or custom cores from Inhell x86_64 or AMD x86_64 or [anyintegratorname] ARM with networking "peripherals" from Aquantia, Broadcom, Qualcomm, ...? The answer is: Virtually every PC, every Mac, every tablet, every mobile phone.

You seem to have a high trust in the SoC makers and their commonly awful bad and outdated "sample" OS carried out to the world adopted to some colourful UI and fancy enclosure making it a product. Every [security] update, every modification, ... does proof to become a nightmare for the manufacturer (where many low cost vendors simply don't care - buy the new one) and finally for the customer.

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

@Case850wrote:

Most people don't have 10Gbps in the LAN let alone in the WAN.

We heard the same some decade+ ago: Most people don't have Gigabit Ethernet in the LAN let alone in the WAN. Today (and for many years already) GbE is commodity.

Just had a talk with a regional cable TV provider - they mentioned to abandon investments in DOCSIS based services, migrating to all fibre. Several million households and SOHO/SMB here in Switzerland have fibre installed already, all are ready for 1 (1.25 Gb) and most for 10 Gb. And for the curious - yes, the two-wire POTS telephony network is phased of very quickly - so we're about to say good bye to DSL, too.

On a side note - non-managed Ethernet switches are a no-go in thee environments, you need at least some Smart Managed Plus level devices, or non-managed IGMPv3 snooping and handling (there are not many yet) to get the live TV just on the port you watch that program - and not on all ports (including the wireless interfaces and APs).

@Case850wrote:
The 10 Gbps interface on the R9000 is a LAN interface not a WAN interface.

The usability of the SFP+ port as a WAN interface on the R9000 is waiting around the door, coming with one of the next updates to the mainstream R9000 release - no rocket science involved. With just one 10 GbE port, the usability for this purpose might be somewhat limited anyway. The 10G ISP does offer a CPE with an fibre WAN, a single 10GBase-T copper for LAN, plus some more GbE ports, ...

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

The effort for the CPU might be even lower using the SFP+ as a WAN/Internet interface - as it is used a single interface, and there is no L2 bridging to the GbE switch as well as the optional link aggregation - which is handled by the CPU, too.

Message 5 of 5