Re: Keeps resetting itself to factory default after power cycle

nickp221
Apprentice

I did the 30-30-30 a few times but, it didn't fix anything, just sets the router up for TFTP firmware upload. Someone else stated earlier in the thread that it also did not work for them.

Message 76 of 96
Cruzin_1
Initiate

I updated to the latest firmware about a week or so ago and the connection has been dropping intermittently. Ie the wifi network completely dissapears and disconnects, after a few minutes it comes back up. This morning when I woke up I had no network and my phone was receiving an authentication error trying to connect to my SSID. I went downstairs and power cycled the router and my router had completely reset itself to factory. Looks like the latest firmware might be buggy but I also see in the forums people have been experiencing this issue with earlier versions on firmware. Out of support so trying for help here, very expensive router so definitely not a happy camper. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 77 of 96
Richard_li
Apprentice

I think there are more than enough people with this issue, I believe those of us here are just the few that are out of the initial warranty and are going public and being vocal about it. We wouldn’t be here if we were in the first three months of ownership and we could just return it to Amazon or Newegg or bestbuy. I would think Netgear would own up and make a public announcement about it, but maybe their PR department is not liking the bad publicity that might come by doing that. My return unit is arriving to them in California today according to the tracking number, let us see how long it takes them to get me the replacement unit which based on what everyone who got an rma here says, i will receive some second hand refurbished/repaired unit. I’m very sorry we all are going through this, but glad I started this thread and made some waves for us to get together and make some noise for them to hear.
Message 78 of 96
nickp221
Apprentice

Amazon only gave me like 45 days for return window so, they wanted nothing to do with my bricked R9000. The replacement you will recieve should come quickly but, it is a refurbish to some degree however, mine was in mint condition, perfect cosmetically and is working properly but, no doubt a refurbish of some kind.

Message 79 of 96
Richard_li
Apprentice

My first one from amazon came DOA so it was returned immediately, the next one has been fine until the recent fiasco. Hoping the rma comes fast since the wireless on my backup unit is a joke
Message 80 of 96
nickp221
Apprentice

The replacement router they have sent me has turned out to be a bit of a turd.  It drops Internet and requires a reboot daily, in full regret mode now, I should have gotten the Asus ROG 5300  :'(

Message 81 of 96
Richard_li
Apprentice

Are you planning to ask for an RMA for the RMA? Mine came in and appears to be brand new with no issues yet after about a week now. I updated to .26 and turned off auto-updating. How long before your wifi started spazzing out?

Message 82 of 96
nickp221
Apprentice

It's not the wifi, it's the actual incoming Internet connection.

I don't plan on doing another RMA, I really don't have time to sit on the phone with tech support, which they will no doubt demand that I update to the newest .28 bios and brick another router, then it will REALLY need an RMA.

I'd rather just sell it on craigslist and buy something else.

Message 83 of 96
Chester01
Tutor

It’s not just the r9000 it has also affected the r7000 and the r7800. The new firmware they gave us apparently has some kind of bad coding that can’t be reverted back to so only way to fix it is for them to find a way to change it
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 84 of 96
Richard_li
Apprentice

have you contacted support? I am assuming you have one of those other models?

Message 85 of 96
Chester01
Tutor

I’ve owned all of them experienced same problems across these models
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 86 of 96
Chester01
Tutor

After it reboots in the logs it says initialized to firmware yada yada depending on what it is but on the r7000 model people have noticed that the GUI language doesn’t change when you downgrade it which is kinda weird
Message 87 of 96
Ace_boy2786
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X10 Smart R9000 - Keeps resetting itself to factory default afterpower cycle

Sorry, I didn't read all the above posts but I'd like to add my scenario too... My router (r9000 x10, Purchased 3/10/2018 from amazon) has for the second time factory reset itself. I'm running 1.0.4.2 (not 26 or 28, two) with auto-update turned off. (amazon reviews said firmware was screwey so I didn't want to take a chance) it's been MOSTLY fine since purchase and setup, It seemed to loose its train of thought and not connect through to the Internet (Spectrum, at the time TWC/RoadRunner,s ubee modem) I'd have to restart the modem and router a couple times (usually once per occurrence), or just the router a couple others. This is the second time that I woke up in the morning to find my router Factory Restored. Luckily I have A backup of the settings from just after i set the thing up which is probably lacking some fine tuning that I don't remember what it could be, but at least it has my SSIDs, Passwords, and some of my IP reservations. It's majorly annoying that this $400.00 piece of equipment is doing it's own thing instead of the one job it was designed for. I do not have anything attached to it (ex: hard drives, anything else) only 3 cat5 cables, one from the modem to it, one from it to my desktops switch (then to my Desktop, Printer, PS3, BD Player, etc) and the 3rd is just hanging by the router (on a shelf near the ceiling centrally located in my house) in case I need to access it locally with my laptop. It's been turned on and off several times since the last occurance, But still; If i'm not home to fix it no one else in the house can use the internet.... for $400.00, Not a good deal!!!!

This is the messsage I was going to "Contact Netgear" with until I'd seen that it was the business page, and I'm not a business, just a consumer: Hello, I would like to ask why my router, yet again (second time), did it's own factory reset. as far as i can tell there may have been a power outage/flicker last night and when I woke up this morning the internet wasn't working so I restarted the router by cutting power and waiting then re-powering, and internet was still out, look at the available wireless connections on my phone and see the factory SSID listed instead of the one I'd set-up TWICE.

R9000 1.0.4.2 (I'd heard this was a known issue with the new firmwares, Not this one. (stopped here after noticing I was on a business page)

Message 88 of 96

Re: Nighthawk X10 Smart R9000 - Keeps resetting itself to factory default afterpower cycle

this exact issue has now happened to me 4 times do far..... i have even reverted the firmware from .....28 to ......26 and it still happens.

Message 89 of 96
nickp221
Apprentice

Yes, not sure why Netgear hasn't removed 28 from the downloads page and disabled the ability to download it thru the router but, it has created problem for plenty of X10 owners. And once you upgrade to .28 and have one of the routers that's affected by this buggy firmware, it's basically bricked, you can downgrade to any firmware version you like and it will not fix it.  You will have to call tech support and begin the process for an RMA to get a new one.

If it's still a recent purchase, try to return it to the store/online where you purchased it otherwise, get an RMA and have it replaced. You should probably reference this thread on this forum but, you're going to have to go thru an hour or so of troubleshooting with them on the phone first and none of which is going to help with anything other than to get you that RMA number so you can get it replaced.

Message 90 of 96

i called support and got an RMA within 45 mins... on hold most of that time with no tech diagnosis....just told them what it was doing.... the customer support lady put me on hold... came back to the line saying she talked with a senior advisor and will replace my unit free of charge

Message 91 of 96
Richard_li
Apprentice

Seems they are fine with just replacing everyones router than fixing the core problem

Message 92 of 96
Cruzin_1
Initiate

Those with older out of warranty devices are screwed. Still a very expensive router and useless and lack of support from Netgear. I have put DD-WRT on mine which was suggested earlier in this thread and no problems so far.
Message 93 of 96

mine was bought on November 27, 2017

Message 94 of 96
myersw
Master

Junk!

Throw in bin and get a different brand. 

Used to use  and recommend Netgear, but after r8000 and r8000p issues with firmware I moved on, Now have a solid never down network. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 95 of 96
xTxBagZx
Guide

I've had this issue since March. I tried all the recommended troubleshooting multiple times including the 30-30-30 reset and nothing has helped. Decided to sit on it a few months and just not turn it off. Still no patch has been released. Finally got tired of it and called support to do an RMA. I ended up on hold for over an hour, first thing the rep does is to try to sell me a support package so we can troubleshoot and repeatedly asked if I was on the most updated firmaware...duh that's what broke my router lady. Told her that wasn't happening as I've spent hours troubleshooting and nothing has helped and I'm not the one that broke it. She put me on hold for 3 minutes and came back and told me to check my email, approved RMA. Went to put my state in the address and it's not on the dropdown menu so we spent even more time just getting my address input manually. Finally got the RMA processed and should have it Monday. She claimed they were sending me a brand new one from their warehouse and not a refurb. Guess we'll see if that's the case or not. Hopefully the new one works. Definitely turning auto update off first thing and not updating to the current version. Pretty disappointed with Netgear and this router. Even when it was "working" it would randomly lose internet connection and need reset. Probably gonna go TP-Link next time around.

Message 96 of 96
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements