Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10 is hardwired to 2nd floor. What do I need to connect multiple lines

Bigpat13601
Aspirant

Nighthawk X10 is hardwired to 2nd floor. What do I need to connect multiple lines

Hello 

I know just enough to paint myself into the corner with technology and stuff like this happens from time to time. with that said here's my stump:

Nighthawk X10 Router

First floor is wired, 1Port for the Desktop, 1Port for the PS4,Same with TV,Same with the Security System.

The second floor has 6 wired wall jacks with the cables ending up at one location. the cable (Cat 7) goes from the Router to the second floor.

Not all of the jacks will be used at once, The PS4 and the Smart TV. 

What do I need to connect all the cable jacks to the Cable from the first floor.

Thank You

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10 is hardwired to 2nd floor. What do I need to connect multiple lines

The R9000 has six LAN ports, in my count of your config this should be fine for the link to the upper floor, and to connect all devices on that same floor.

On the link from the router to the upper floor, you can connect a simple Gigabit Ethernet switch* with enough ports for the uplink and all connections to the rooms on the upper floor.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10 is hardwired to 2nd floor. What do I need to connect multiple lines

Your description left a bit to be desired. 

you have an x10 router (r9000). 

Are you using another router as well? 

Whats this first floor port setup? are you using switches? 

Running through wall jacks? 

Using a modem/gateway/ont? 

Details of what devices you're actually planning on using and how you're wanting to do it help

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The R9000 has six LAN ports, in my count of your config this should be fine for the link to the upper floor, and to connect all devices on that same floor.

On the link from the router to the upper floor, you can connect a simple Gigabit Ethernet switch* with enough ports for the uplink and all connections to the rooms on the upper floor.

Message 3 of 5
Bigpat13601
Aspirant

Thank you

That's where I get into Trouble if you Don't mind I did a copy and Paste.

you have an x10 router (r9000). yes 2019ish.

Are you using another router as well? No just that.

Whats this first floor port setup? are you using switches? port 1 is a direct cable connect to my PS4. port 2 connects to the TV Directly. port 3 goes to the Desktop Directly. port 4 goes to the security system. ports 4&5 are empty.

Running through wall jacks? not yet. The 6 on the second floor are terminated at the wall jack. and the cables are all gathered at one place with the direct cable from the router  

Using a modem/gateway/ont? Cable modem with good download speed.

Details of what devices you're actually planning on using and how you're wanting to do it help The usage on the second will be almost a mirror of the first fl with a laptop replacing the security system. the biggest draw would be the PS4 and the TV rarely will any of the first and second fl be running anything close to the max. 

Message 4 of 5
Bigpat13601
Aspirant

Thank You

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7