Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X4 AC2350

ajredaelli
Tutor

Nighthawk X4 AC2350

So I am a Comcast customer. I have their wifi modem/router. I also have another wifi router (Linksys). Just like many of you, we have Roku, Hulu, Netflix, etc. We also have Arlo cameras, a Ring door bell, cell phones, a couple of tablets, XBox, etc. We buy the highest speed package from Comcast, as I am also an omline instructor, so good reliable and fast signal is very important to me.

I am having a tough time getting service to the back of our modest 1700 sq ft home. I am getting ready to buy the Nighthawk X4 - which may be an overkill, but it seems like a good unit. I am particularly concerned about the Ring doorbell and the Arlo cameras having a solid signal.

I have a few questions about this change. 

1. Should I deactivate my other two Wi-Fis?

2. If I should keep my other two routers, should I move the Linksis to another room in the house?

3. Am I better off plugin my ethernet to my main desktop to the Nighthawk or to the Comcast unit?

4. Should the desktop be connected wirelesly or through the Ethernet cable?

I would appreciate any ideas on how to manage this. I am ordering my X4 today. On Amazon, the X4 is only $10 more than the Nighthawk AC1900, so I figured, why not buy the unit with the better processor, more antennas, etc. 

Thank you all.

Aldo

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

The effect of bridge mode is different on the Comcast versus the Nighthawk.  On the Comcast, you will very likely lose any Wi-Fi it was providing.  On the Nighthawk, you won't.  You will lose the firewall, port forwarding, QoS and traffic metering, to name a few features.  But these aren't needed in bridge mode.

Whether to use bridge mode on the Comcast vs the Nighthawk is a personal decision.  Some people find it difficult to put the Comcast into bridge mode.  That leaves them no choice but to do so on the Nighthawk.  Or they may simply be satisifed with the routing capabilities of the Comcast.  Still others may want to use the full capabilities of the Nighthawk.  Or they may prefer the extra peace of mind of enforcing security on a device fully under their control versus an ISP box.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It's always hard to predict how Wi-Fi is going to perform.  Wi-Fi is subject to so many variables: interference, home construction and congestion from neighboring networks.  That said, for a 1700 st ft place, a single router stands a good chance of covering it.  Note, you should only operate one device as a router.  You'll either want to put your Comcast modem/router into bridge mode or run your new Netgear as an Access Point.  Ethernet is always superior to wireless, so use it whenever possible.

Message 2 of 5
ajredaelli
Tutor

Thanks for the response TheEther. I didn't realize it wasn't a good idea to use two routers. I am a little confused about Bridge mode. I am assuming that because of the great capabilities of the Nighthawk I am better off using the Nighthawk as my router - for both wi fi and ethernet connections, correct? Therefore, I should use my Comcast on bridge mode?  When I do that, does that mean I should connect my main computer to the Nighthaw (via ethernet)? The botton line is, I don't want to lose any of the capabilities of using the Nighthawk. Not sure if bridge mode takes away the Wifi Capbailities or not.  Thanks!

Aldo

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

The effect of bridge mode is different on the Comcast versus the Nighthawk.  On the Comcast, you will very likely lose any Wi-Fi it was providing.  On the Nighthawk, you won't.  You will lose the firewall, port forwarding, QoS and traffic metering, to name a few features.  But these aren't needed in bridge mode.

Whether to use bridge mode on the Comcast vs the Nighthawk is a personal decision.  Some people find it difficult to put the Comcast into bridge mode.  That leaves them no choice but to do so on the Nighthawk.  Or they may simply be satisifed with the routing capabilities of the Comcast.  Still others may want to use the full capabilities of the Nighthawk.  Or they may prefer the extra peace of mind of enforcing security on a device fully under their control versus an ISP box.

Message 4 of 5
ajredaelli
Tutor

Got it - thanks. Actually on my Comcast there's a "button" to enable/disable bridging, so I won't have that issue. I am guessing I will lose all WiFi on it, but that's ok once I have the Nighthawk. The one thing I will have to decide is whether I will be able to use the Comcast router/modem for hard wire. I will test but, but again, worse case scenario I can put it on the X4. I appreciate your time sharing your insight TheEther. Thanks. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7