Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4 (AC3200)...can't connect to 5G

JM3F
Tutor

Nighthawk X4 (AC3200)...can't connect to 5G

So I have a Nighthawk X4 (AC3200) Wifi Cable Modem Router that recently decided that it cannot connect devices to the 5G band. Same devices can connect to 2.4G.  5G is visible and signal appears strong, yet the devices can't connect.  Tried resetting a few time without success.  Tried changing channels without success.  When I remove security from the 5G, the devices can connect, but I don't want to leave without security.

Any ideas...I'm about to throw this thing against a wall.

Message 1 of 9
JM3F
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk X4 (AC3200)...can't connect to 5G

BTW...this is a C7500 WiFi modem/router combo.

Message 2 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Make sure you dont have special characters in the password and that is set wpa2. You also may want to try and change the wifi name

DarrenM

Message 3 of 9
JM3F
Tutor

Password haven't changed...it worked fine until recently and no special characters used.  Was the same as 2.4G, but I changed it and made no difference.  Same with WIFI SSID names.

I'll try changing them both again, but I'm not understanding why it would make a difference if it had worked fine for a year?  

Message 4 of 9
JM3F
Tutor

I changed the 5G SSID name again and the password (no special characters) and no change. 

BTW...it's set to WPA2-PSK [AES] and 'Enable SSID Broadcast' is checked.  FWIW...tried all the channels.  Called Spectrum and went through 2 hours with support to be told it was the router...duh.  FWIW...this is on their approved list for modem/router combos.

I think this thing is FUBAR and doesn't make sense paying to ship it back/forth with no guarantee it won't happen again (as other posts suggest).  Very disappointing for a modem/router combo that is less than 2 years old and nearly $300.  Can't say that I will be buying Netgear again if this is the case and support for 90 days = bad joke, not to mention $80 for continued support to tell you it's useless.

Anyone else have an idea??

Message 5 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Is it just one device having this issue or all of your devices can not connect to the 5G? Have you tried to tell the devices to forget the network and then try to connect again?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 9
JM3F
Tutor

All devices...desktop, laptop, phones, Roku....

• I have 'forgotten' the network several different times, without avail.
  • I have done factory resets several different times, without avail.
  • I have rebooted several different times, without avail.
  • I am on the latest approved firmware compatible with Spectrum (has not changed)

Anything else?

Message 7 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I am going to look into this issue some more and get back to you when I find something out.

Thanks 

DarrenM

Message 8 of 9
JM3F
Tutor

Thanks.  It would be great if I could get a resolution to this issue and be able to use the 5G band.  Otherwise will be dumping this combo.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7