Nighthawk X4 R7500 Readyshare Access Denied

Kleinersaphire
Follower

Nighthawk X4 R7500 Readyshare Access Denied

Hello. I am having an issue with my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500. I am using the ReadySHARE feature with a USB 3.0 toshiba external hard drive. Accessing the files is no big deal, my amazon fire TV stick running Kodi can access the files over UPnP no problem. I can access the files Via the networked drive in windows 10. However, I cannot write files. I am told access is denied. I cannot change the owner of the drive (which is set to Unix User/Root) because the access is the denied. Cannot change permissions; access is denied. Folders properties list them as Read Only, while individual files list as Archive.Trying to change individual File/Folders off of Read Only/Archive results in an error, windows cannot find the file path specified.  If I plug the harddrive directly into my PC, no problems. The ReadySHARE settings in the router's admin access page is set to "Everyone" for read and write access.

This is really frustrating, as I'm having to remove the harddrive any time I want to add files. Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to give myself Write access when the harddrive is connected over Readyshare?

Message 1 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk X4 R7500 Readyshare Access Denied

Hi @Kleinersaphire,

Welcome to Community!

Please provide me your contact information and send it via PM.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 14
agomez
Aspirant

Hi, I'm having the same issue. How do I resolve it?

Thank you,

Anthony

Message 3 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi @agomez,

Please provide your contact information via PM.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 14
Pepsinio
Guide

Hello,

i am also having same issue! Tried with different versions, but still the same. Currently i am with V1.0.0.94. Also when i copy files from the USB drive via wireless the speed is extremely inconsistent and constantly dropping

Bw,

Peter

Message 5 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Pepsinio,

I have sent you a PM. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 14
Pepsinio
Guide

JamieGL,

i have replied to your PM, but do not see how my contact information will help resolving the issue. If there is a common fix, why not post it in the forum?

Bw,

Peter

Message 7 of 14
nightrunner
Aspirant

Is there a fix for this? I'm having the same issue. I was running windows 7 and upgraded to 10 now I am not able to write to my external HDD from any location. I can view everything just fine though. It doesn't give me any error messages just simply won't let me write to the drive. checked permissions in the netgear readyshare settings and says all no passwords. So not to sure whats going on. ALso tried turning windows defender off and that also didn't help.

Message 8 of 14
tpcs1980
Tutor

Same exact problem here.  I couldn't care any less about a user named " unix/user root"  I don't use MAC osx.  I use Windows 10.  I have THOROUGHLy confirmed the owner of my external hdd is my pc in every context possible yet the stupid router keeps changing the owner and I can't delete any files, CAN'T edit/rename them, and the copy and paste to and from the hdd connected to the router to my pc is usb 2.0 speeds aka 30MB/s which is pathetic considering direct usb 3.0 connection to my pc yields between 150 worst case to 185MB/s best case.

I just spend over an hour on the phone with " Raul" earlier tonight and he didn't have a clue what is causing this problem.  When I asked him " is there a next level upper tier of support I can deal with," he side-tracked the question with " I"m checking those sources now.".  

I couldn't care any less what sources you're checking after a freaking HOUR of no answers on the phone.  I paid 170 bucks for this thing and it's POINTLESS if I can't even connect my 5TB hdd as a nas to it.  I upgrade from a wndr3700 v1 from 2010 that is still working like a champ.

Need help NOW please!!  Preferably someone who ACTUALLy is a manager/upper tier support tech who ACTUALLy knows what he's doing and can ACTUALLy resolve these two problems.

Problem 1.  CAN'T delete, edit/rename any and all files and folders on my external hdd attached to either of usb 3.0 ports on Netgear r7500 router because "You need permission from Unix User/Root"  Um' NO I should NOT need permission considering I established ownership of the dadgum drive and ensure in The Netgear's router settings page that " all - no password" was set to both REad and Write permissions under REadyshare settings page.

Problem 2.  GARBAGE transfer speeds compared to what it should be.   WORST case, the transfer speeds should be no less than 100 megabytes per second since I'm using brand new CAT7 cables and the hdd is connected via a brand new usb 3.0 cord which I just tested straight connection to my pc to ENSURE the cord isn't a problem either.

Netgear.  Get this widespread problem fixed already!  People don't spend money on products that don't work as advertised let alone without asinine-lengths of stupid hoops to jump through.  Contact me asap.  

Message 9 of 14
tpcs1980
Tutor

Let me add a correction. .NOW i can't even copy to the hdd connected to the netgear router.  -_-   This is pathetic for a $170.00 router

Message 10 of 14
katayamj
Aspirant

One of the support staff gave me a beta firmware 'R7500-V1.0.0.94-TD371-TD358.img', which apparently fixed the incorrect file ownership problem. I'm not sure about your file transfer speed problem.

I'd suggest you to contact the Netgear support.

Message 11 of 14
tpcs1980
Tutor

I've already contacted Netgear support at  1-888-638-4327 and " Raul" did not seem experienced at all let alone experienced at being even a call center rep ( which I have room to talk of more than seven years worth).  Unfortunately, he knew not how to fix it and would not let me talk to an upper tier support rep or supervisor.  After an HOUR straight of dealing with him on the phone, I realized my time is more valuable than burning another hour HOPING he had sense enough to give up, stop waisting my time, and actually get someone who KNOWS what he's doing.

Regardless, all good vibes intended towards you and thanks for the firmware information.  Problem is, since I'm stuck at a hotel and no way to physically to connect this router to the hotel's modem, I have no way to update to newer firmware unless there is a local way ( such as downloading it to a usb thumb drive).  I'm knew to that.  I had a Linksys wrt54G that I upgraded the firmware to dd-wrt almost a decade ago, but I forgot how I did it.  

Message 12 of 14
tpcs1980
Tutor

I just tried that firmware "  from link http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7500/R7500_V1.0.0.94.zip "  and the router's gui/settings page said " incorrect firmware".  I'm about ready to return this POS and NEVER buy another netgear product again!!

Message 13 of 14
tpcs1980
Tutor

I figured out why that firmware wouldn't work.  It's for router version 1.  mine is version 2.  I found the right firmware but that didn't matter.  I had to reformat the hdd and ensure it was formatted to NTFS ( since most of my bluray movie files are beyond 4GB in size, FAT32 won't work)

NOw if I could just figure how why transfer speeds are usb 2.0 ( 30 to 46MB/s) copying from my pc to the router-attached hdd versus going from hdd-router attached to my pc.  

For those curious as of today December 30 2015,  here's the most recent firmware I could find for r7500 version 2 http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30171/~/r7500v2-firmware-version-1.0.2.2

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements