Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X4 R7500 forgets settings

mb139
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4 R7500 forgets settings

I have had a Nighthawk X4 for just under a year.  Recently, somethign happened to the router and now every time the router power cycles, it defaults back to the factory settings.  It doesn't matter whether the unit completely loses power (unplug) or if it is just restarted.  As soon as it come back up, it has defaulted back to the factory settings.

Any ideas on what would be causing this?  Is there a CMOS battery in these units that could be dead, thus making it forget the settings?  This issue is VERY annoying, it is not fun having to restore the settings anytime the unit is power cycled.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mb139
Aspirant

Update: After working with Netgear tech support for around 70 mins, they confirmed that this is a hardware issue covered by the 1 year hardware warranty.  If you have to call in past the 90 days for provide Tech Support, they will require you to give a credit card number for an "extended tech support" plan.  You are only charged if they find the issue not to be hardware related.  

I was a little put off by this, especially since the cheapest plan is $80 (6 months of tech support - this is different than the warranty).  However my issue was confirmed to be a hardware issue and I will be getting a replacement router free of charge and was assured that I would not be charged the $80 for tech support.

Overall support could be a little more customer friendly (because of the tech support thing) but I was able to get my issue taken care of free of charge.  Just me prepared to be on hold a lot and have a computer connected to your router.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
WJTED
Aspirant

This started happenining to me also just yesterday.

Message 2 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Welcome to Community!

Please try to reflash the firmware and do a hard reset. You can use a different power adapter or plug it on a different power outlet. If the suggested steps did not work, you may contact support team and ask for replacement given if your device is still under hardware warranty.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 3 of 4
mb139
Aspirant

Update: After working with Netgear tech support for around 70 mins, they confirmed that this is a hardware issue covered by the 1 year hardware warranty.  If you have to call in past the 90 days for provide Tech Support, they will require you to give a credit card number for an "extended tech support" plan.  You are only charged if they find the issue not to be hardware related.  

I was a little put off by this, especially since the cheapest plan is $80 (6 months of tech support - this is different than the warranty).  However my issue was confirmed to be a hardware issue and I will be getting a replacement router free of charge and was assured that I would not be charged the $80 for tech support.

Overall support could be a little more customer friendly (because of the tech support thing) but I was able to get my issue taken care of free of charge.  Just me prepared to be on hold a lot and have a computer connected to your router.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7