Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X4 R7500 problem with LAN

dzemik
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4 R7500 problem with LAN

Hi, I am using Nighthawk X4 R7500 router almost a year without any special problems.

But last week something changed. Most of my devices connected by cable were with wrong IP adress, outside defined in the LAN spec.

Strange that all devices connected by WIFI works perfect.

I restarted router, all devices got correct IP adress. Not for long, two days later again most of devices connected by wire had wrong IP.

Restart help again ... but this is not right to need restart router each second day. I also reset router to default and set up it from the begininng ... not help.

There were not any changes in my local network, no new devices, no changes in the setup.

I use last firmware in version 1.0.0.94

Any suggestion what could happen or what I can do more?

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
dzemik
Aspirant

Hi, until today router is working fine, no problem with IP adresses. So I have no idea what was that. Nothing changed in my network, same devices, same settings. I did not restart firmware, only few restarts during two weeks of mulfunction.
For today we can close the case.
Regards,
Grzegorz

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

Did you immediately change the admin password after the reset from password to something else hard to guess, but not the same one you were using before the errors started to occur?

Message 2 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

no, I not changed password ... why I should do it?

but I will try that ... I have no better idea

Message 3 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

I think instead local IP my devices connected by cable received IP from my internet provider ... that is why there is internet connection but I cannot see them in my home network
Message 4 of 16
LeeH
Prodigy

The default admin account with password is well known and hackers will use this to log into your router and could be changing it or even loading their own hacked version of firmware.

Message 5 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

ok ... now I understand you ... of course when I set up router I changed default password 🙂

What you think about this IP that are set not local for cable connection, but outside my network, taken from internet provider?

Should be that only router have outer IP ... I can forward to other devices, but I not done it in this case

Message 6 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@dzemik wrote:

What you think about this IP that are set not local for cable connection, but outside my network, taken from internet provider?

These aren't from the ZeroConf (169.254.0.0/16) range?

Message 7 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

no ... example no. is 84.213.157.... I know that these numbers belongs to my internet provider

Message 8 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All devices connected through wired connection have the same exact IP?

What's the brand and model of your modem?

Make sure that your modem connects to the Internet port or WAN port on the NETGEAR router. 

Message 9 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

No, IP are different for all devices.
Modem is Huawei HG8245H
I used this set for almost a year without any problem.
For this year my out IP for router is the same.
After restart everything is working perfect for few hours sometimes whole day, after that I need to restart router. And again everything works fine.
Message 10 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What kind of IP addresses are you getting? 

Supposedly, your LAN devices or devices that are connected to the router should have a local IP address range of 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x.

If you're getting anything other than that then something is not right with the setup or configuration. 

Did you try to reset the router? 

How about reflashing/re-uploading the latest firmware of the router? 

Message 11 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

Like I mentioned above, after restart router all devices wired or wireless have correct IP 10.0.0.x
After few hours or a day all wired devices changing IP to external IP similar as my router from my provider 84.213.157.x , all wirless devices working perfect with internal IP 10.0.0.x
I had reset router to default and set it again, problem was still actual.
I not tried to reflashing/ re-uploading software on the router, I will try that, maybe will help.
Message 12 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's not normal for the devices to get internet IP addresses or IP address provided by the modem. Based from the description of your modem, it can be configured as a router. One thing you may do is to configure that Huawei to be in bridge mode or set it as a regular modem. In this way, the router will be the one to do its job.

Message 13 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

I know that this is not normal 🙂
Huawei modem is set as bridge by internet provider. I have no access to do any changes.
Router is working fine for last 24 hours ... I am waiting what will happen next days.
Message 14 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Keep us updated.

Message 15 of 16
dzemik
Aspirant

Hi, until today router is working fine, no problem with IP adresses. So I have no idea what was that. Nothing changed in my network, same devices, same settings. I did not restart firmware, only few restarts during two weeks of mulfunction.
For today we can close the case.
Regards,
Grzegorz
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7